• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Pop-up or Pop-under

Mbarb

Hello,

I'm considering starting to use pop-ups or pop under but I have a few specific requirements. I thought with all the knowledge in here you guys would know this right off the top.
Here is what I need...
A Ad Co. that PAYS!!
The ad code needs to be able to be placed in the body of the page IE no code in the head or in the body tag. I have a call in each page to a SSI banner rotator, with over 10,000+ pages I can't make to many changes.

Friendly pop's. Cookied to only pop once per day (12 or 24 hours) to a given user or IP.

Only one Pop up .. IE no multiple opening windows...

$5,000 CPM...

paid every day....

All but the last 2 would be nice...the last 2 would just be a bonus..LOL

Originally posted by Mbarb
with over 10,000+ pages I can't make to many changes.

You probaly do not want a pop-up on every page. Even if it did have a cookie I'm sure only the main pages would need it? maybe? ;)

What I had planned...

The site I run is a message board hosting site so I need to run the pop code across the entire site. I run multiple instances of the same ad tag from the same co with different phrases (approved of course) below the banner to try to improve the click through. What I planned was to run the pop up code in with one instance of the banner code. I can also set the relative chance a particular banner code will be called. I would set the one with the pop code very low so the pop code would only be included in say one of every 30 pages. Of course this does not mean that the same person may not get the pop code after looking at less than 30 pages, that is where the cookie comes in. I'm still just thinking about this, and planning ahead in case I'm "forced" to go to pop's in the future.

you've got the focalex popup, which is not CPM but the effexctive CPM is told to be quite nice...

then there's popupmoney, dutch and only $1 CPM.

You've also go the goclick popunder, $2.5CPM

another one is AdScholar, $4CPM, but they seem to have closed their program.

There's exitfuel, but there's been many complaints about serious undercounting, and it also spawns several popups.

Yet another is popuptraffic, but once again several complaints about serious undercounting.
There's the allclicks exit, but yet again i've heard several complaints of undercounting. On the other hand, it's $15 CPM (not effectively, but still...)

that's about all i can think of off the top of my head

Without exception, though, all of the agencies mentioned by Cheap Bastard do require you to place code within the <head> tags for ultimum cross-browser compatibility.

Why don't you set up a new adspace within your rotator specifically for popups, and place the SSI code within the head for that?

I'd love To But...

Why don't you set up a new adspace within your rotator specifically for popups, and place the SSI code within the head for that?

I could do that but with over 10,000 (yes really 10,000+) pages you can see why that would be a daunting task. I was able to get exit fuel to work with the code in the body as a pop behind (not a exit pop) but with their rep I'm staying away form them.

Thanks for all the help...

Get a program of spider to go through you site searching for;
Code:
</HTML>

and replace it with;
Code:
<ADCODE></HTML>

That's how I'd do it to 10,000 sites in under an hour! :)

or, seeing as it's a message board, just tell it to put the code in new pages. That way, if you remove the popup, it'll just insert nothing in those pages, yet on the other hand it'll gradually come in every topic (seeing as message boards & its users tend to dump old topics rather easily)...

he's running a message board, right? That means loads of pages are created every day (with every post, or at least every new topic, a new page is created). So if he makes it insert the new adcode into every new page that's created...

If you're running from a database, all's solved. Just edit the templates.

Originally posted by Cheap Bastard
If you're running from a database, all's solved. Just edit the templates.

Wouldn't most message boards live off a database? and if not I'm sure they'd allow modification and re-freshing of all pages in the system.

Just a thought,

Wouldn't most message boards live off a database? and if not I'm sure they'd allow modification and re-freshing of all pages in the system.

I use a Matt Wright WWWboard style board (Way Pumped Up!!). All the messages are static HTML pages created when the message is posted. The index page is just update when a new message is posted. We are still pretty small only hosting about 500 active boards.

I have a few options...all of which will work.

I can spider through all the HTML pages and add a new SSI call in the <head> to our banner rotator script. Drawback More SSI/more CGI

I can add the new SSI call in the <head> to our banner rotator on all the new messages posted. Drawback more SSI/more CGI

Or.. what I'm testing right now, and others have reported good results with, is using SI's pop behind, with a cookie add on script to only allow a pop behind every 12 hours. Even though it's JavaScript, and it should be in the <head>, other people have had good results placing it in the body. I have our copyright information on the bottom of each page placed by... yep a SSI call. I'm going to try the pop code in with the copyright information, this will place it on all the pages, if SI is having problems the page should almost fully load and the cookie should take care of the frequency the Pop up is seen. I'll let you know how it goes when I get brave enough to try it out.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Back