• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Please turn off safe_mode in your php.ini file configuration

don't know if this will work, but try making a .htacess file and type:

PHP:
safe_mode "0"

Then upload the .htacess file to the root directory

I don't think you can overide safe_mode, also the correct syntax would be

PHP:
php_admin_flag safe_mode Off

I don't think that'll work in htaccess but might be worth a go.....

Meh... I was looking on php.net didn't exactly read what it said where to put it, but I was assuming .htaccess because you don't normally have access to php.ini when you are on shared hosting, etc.

btw, php.net says safe_mode "0" ;)

althought it could also be httpd.conf according to php.net

Last edited:
ok, i searched alot, and this is what i came up with. the only way to bypass safe mode on php consists of running php as a cgi while processing certain php scripts, but the performance of the script will take a hit to do that:

1-create a .htaccess file
2-write:
Action php-script /interpreters/php-script
AddHandler php-script .php
AddHandler php-script .php3
3-upload this file to the directory that you the files to bypass the safe mode

now, if this don't and even if it works, i suggest asking your host to just turn off the safe mode, and if he asks why tell him because "the biggest problem with safe mode is that people use it" and that's according to Lerdorf( the guy that created php)

Regards

that will only work if php is compiled as a cgi binary from source, which mostly it isn't.

safe_mode Off and
safe_mode "0"

is the correct syntax for php.ini, however the correct syntax from an .htaccess file or from *.conf is either

php_admin_flag setting value or
php_flag setting value

depending on what you're messing with.

As there is a reason that most hosts enable safemode, it's not something that can be bypassed easily.

Back