• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

PlayStation 2 Question....

Lise

What the hell is it, and why is it such a big deal?? I have this eerie feeling I'm missing something...

Well, for starters, it's the second installment of the popular PlayStation video game system. The PSX2 (PlayStation 2) has better graphics, sound, and speed than the original PlayStation, as well as being able to play DVDs...

Computers are made for 2 gazillion things, consoles are made for games and games alone (well, they used to be :p ). To play games on a PC you need the right card for this game, the right drivers for that game, the correct software for that game, bla bla bla. Consoles have everything in a pretty little bundle.

I have a PlayStation because I don't like playing games on computers. I much prefer a controller over a keyboard or a mouse when playing games...

Hehe...I agree for most games. But definately not simulations. I cant imagine playing RedAlert II or Starcraft on a console.

Also, mouse response is usually much better than a controller...I can turn much faster!

Having said that, long live the PS2, and Im eagerly looking forward to the PS9 hehe... :)

have any of you tried to play unreal tournament for the ps2. Its impossible. It no where neer as easy as to play it with my keyboard and mouse. And for the controller part, just go and buy one for you computer.

Then again, I really like to play console's. excpicaly the fighing game, I just got done with a 3 hour game of marvel vs capcom, on my dreamcast.

Final thought, I do like first person shooters for console's, I loved golden eye and perfect dark, but the reason I am having a problem with unreal tournament is becuase it wasnt made for a console and, with all the team option you need use it really hard to play.

Yeah I totally agree...UT and Rune on a playstation2 would just be to hard to handle...

Although the one thing the PS2 has over the PC is that the hardware is standard, which gives designers more leeway

yeah standardization is always a good thing. but have you read anything on how hard it is to program for. You have 3 processors, the main one, then two more. And the problem is that the two others (v1 and v2 I think are there names) are really hard to tap.
So most games are only using the one proccessor or just a little bit of the v1&2 and the main processor. And to be able to tap the v1&2 processors, you must put a lot more money into the development of the game. And after all the extra money and time, then the other systems that dont have to go through with all that, now can do a lot more. So reall this messes every thing up.
Hmmm, i hope that the gamecube is as easy to program for as they are saying.

One last note on this long post. I would just like to mention that the n64 was hard to program for.(not as hard as the ps2) but hard. And the psx was very easy. The power of the systems were very far off. But becuase of how easy it was to program for the psx they were able to do some great programming and make games that were very nice looking. Not as good as on the 64 but still very nice.

Hehe...good analysis...

Personally, I though the PSX had horrible graphics, and that was its downfall (along with long load times).

I think most of the new game developers for PCs are pushing the limits and are almost expecting gamers to get the latest GeForce with 64Mb of RAM and the PIII800+ machines...

Well see if the trend continues. The most funny thing of this entire thread however is why on earth is it on a free webspace forum...hehe...now thats tough to figure out :D

Originally posted by Remy Canad
One last note on this long post. I would just like to mention that the n64 was hard to program for.(not as hard as the ps2) but hard. And the psx was very easy. The power of the systems were very far off. But becuase of how easy it was to program for the psx they were able to do some great programming and make games that were very nice looking. Not as good as on the 64 but still very nice.

Great post, but just thought I might clear a few things up... I think the PlayStation was actually harder to program than the N64. The PlayStation had a massive market, more games, wider audience (due to better marketing) and many other factors... To win the console wars, not so much the program-a-bility (if there is such a word).

I think it was the Saturn that had two processors and became a nightmare to program (which is why PSX won the 32-bit wars). Which dosen't leave much hope for programming for the PS2 over the X-box (virtually a PC using Direct X).

But Sony will probaly pull through with marketing techniques that blow the competition away.

Oh well hope that helped clear up a few things...

Gloss:
PSX = PlayStation 1
PS2 = PlayStation 2
Saturn = Sega Saturn
N64 = Nintendo 64

Resources, Good Reading:
http://www.feedmag.com/feature/fr410_master.html

Please feel free to correct me where I am wrong...

[Edited by }:8) Supermoo on 11-05-2000 at 01:44 AM]

Originally posted by cds
Hehe...I agree for most games. But definately not simulations. I cant imagine playing RedAlert II or Starcraft on a console.

Also, mouse response is usually much better than a controller...I can turn much faster!

Having said that, long live the PS2, and Im eagerly looking forward to the PS9 hehe... :)

hehe, have you tried Starcraft 64?

No...but I can imagine what a hearache that must be on a controller.. ALthough N64 has that swiggle thing that makes it a little easier, nothing really compares to the mouse for strategy games and first person shooters...

Third person, racing, space simulations, etc are prob better on a controller...but hey...the keyboard has more buttons so by default, it has more options, right? :D

Great post, but just thought I might clear a few things up... I think the PlayStation was actually harder to program than the N64. The PlayStation had a massive market, more games, wider audience (due to better marketing) and many other factors... To win the console wars, not so much the program-a-bility (if there is such a word).

I thought I would correct you on your correction. The psx was very easy to program for. You can ask any develper for it. That is also some of the reasons that a lot of developers droped the 64. And that is also why they have so many games. You didnt need to spend a bunch of time tring to code the games and any one could. And sony didnt screan most of the games like nintendo does. It was more of a free market on the psx than for the n-64.

And for the X-Box. This is not going to go anywhere. Becuase they are using direct x. All the games will be ported in no time. And I know most of you dont have the greatest graphics cards out there. I dont have a super great one either. (although it will kill the px2 graphics easly and it only cost me 60 dollars). Super great nice wording huh? Anyways, if you think of it buy the time it comes out. There are going to be so many new cards, and chips. And the x-box wont be able to keep up. There are many many more problems for the x-box. I just dont want to write them all out.

The reason I think that microsoft is going to make a game system is becuase they think computer are kinda going to go away a bit. Bill Gates is thinking that we are going to go to online apliences. I guess you could call them. Like there new computer that is only for the internet. Like the x-box and every thing else. I dont think this Idea will ever pan out. But its my guess.

I agree with you...is it just me or is the X-box nothing more than an average computer with souped up video in disguise?

It will be SO easy to port to the PC from the X-box that I think there will be no reason to purchase it... Why would anyone get something to just play games, when they can get something to play games and do just about anything else?

I cant seem to find Microsoft's logic here, but then again, MS has a history of defying logic and getting away with it...

Well just have to see what happens when it comes out :)

Very true both of you, but as much as I hate to admit this I think that Microsoft will have a chance, it's bringing the good 'ol video gaming days back with the ability to program your own games (on a PC), and play them on anyone x-box you want.

Quite a bit different to Nintendo's 1985+ ideas of:
Produce game machine, our own ,make money.
Produce own games, make money.
Make everyone else pay for license and developing fees, make loads of money off other people's games.

A stratergy that Sony has seemed to mirror, just managing to make it to a wider audience and cutting the royalties down a bit (due to smaller production costs).

I think Sony may have a battle on it's hands but either way I think i'll only buy a PS2, because like most of you claimed. The $60 video card (at the launch date) will make my PC more powerful than an xBox.

Well...not exactly...

Just because the X-box will "look" like a pc, it will use a different operating system and thus may require some special programming to fit it...

Also, in order to write games on to it, you will have to apply for a liscence, which MS prob wouldn't just give out...

I'm pretty sure that there will be kits released on the Internet for easy production and yes, I'm sure Micro$oft won't like the idea but what's stopping me from creating my own xBox games and burning them to a CD?

(possible copyright protection ;), but that can be fixed :))

I dont know about making your own games. I know to make on you need a develpment kit from microsoft. And it would be a lot easier to just make a computer game. Why spend all that time making a x-box game.

One more thing I would like to point out, you know all thoughs movies you seen of the x-box's graphics. You have to remeber that all prerendered. You could play that on anything its just a movie. For all we know they could be making things up.

Have you seen any of the gamecube games. Most to all are in real time. I have never seen anything that good in real time. And just think this is only the first generation of games. Compare some first generation games to the ones now. Look at the deference, I dont know how much better you can get from the gamecube now.

Back