• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

phpBB2 Final Edition

Cool. They've probably done all the testing if they've made the decision so I can't see why they can't release it now. :devious2:

You shouldn't expect phpBB to compete with vBull. They both have different target audiences.

> they don't, Phrozen

phpBB 2.0 has been encroaching on vBulletins "turf" for some time now. Sure vBulletin is feature-ful, but the cost of phpBB 2.0 (free) and it's solid coding are luring people away from vBulletin. Not to mention the lax licensing restrictions of the GPL. I suppose when 2.2 is done (primarily a feature addition release) phpBB2 will be an even bigger threat to vB's potential customer base.

I remember psoTFX (chief developer of phpBB) stating once that they aren't trying to compete with other free forums but, rather, the other ("larger fish") out there...

i wonder if they do this for fun or for money

if for money how would they gain? donations? ads on their support forums?

mabey they will do what woltlab did and make phpbb 2.2 or phpbb3 paid

Originally posted by is0lized
i wonder if they do this for fun or for money

if for money how would they gain? donations? ads on their support forums?

mabey they will do what woltlab did and make phpbb 2.2 or phpbb3 paid
I hope not. Anyways i would love them to work solidly and get a lot more features for the next release in the admin section. That would be sweet.

yeah, the admin cp lacks in some features, thats why i stoped using it... im gonna see how it is and decide if i want to use that or wbb or wbb2...

alot of things made me decide not to use phpbb2...

one of em i think was the user group premissions..

i heard very good things about phpbb2 and i cant wait till its released

The clock on the site checks for the date on your computer. I set my date to april the 5th and the clock said 0 but I couldn't get past it as the page kept refreshing. :devious2:

phpBB2 is the best free board, but the main advantage vB has over PHPBB is that they can pay their developers and bugs WILL be fixed, with phpBB no guarantees as its for cheap bastages ;)

Back