• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

PHP or CGI bb

PHP or CGI

• PHP (phpBB,vbulletin,xmb,...)

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • CGi (ikonboard,yabb,...)

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Both good

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
If you just consider the language then PHP is the best. There is no comparision. But if you consider the actual boards or codes written.

good Perl code +mod perl = good PHP code

It all depends on how you write the routines.

For me PHP is better than CGI/PERL. PHP embeb by browser and server. CGI/PERL is just process by server. It may cause a lot of cpu resource used.

Anyway if we compare by script engineered, both are good. Nowadays, there are quit dificult to find a good php fws compare to perl/cgi fws.

True, but I'm just talking about the boards. Not how dificult it is to find a good host. Also, not the boards themself, just the speed and stuff like that. I choose php (phpBB, the best. Besides vb, but isn't free)

PHP is the BEST! I find that when I used a CGI message board like Ultimate Bulletin Board, it was weird to configure, and that CGI hosts were always S L O W! So, therefore I got myself a copy of vBulletin, but it on F2S, and it kicks! http://www.techbrink.f2s.com

I agree. vb is the best (not easy to integrate in your site), but phpBB comes on a close seconde!

Other than vB 2.0, I like blazeboard best. It's also PHP, though. In general, PHP boards do seem easier and faster than CGI ones.

Originally posted by gyrbo
I agree. vb is the best (not easy to integrate in your site), but phpBB comes on a close seconde!

you're wrong, vB is VERY easy to integrate into your site. you just need a little mySQL knowledge and you're done.

What am I wrong about? For my vBulletin, I FTP'ed the PHP scripts to my F2S home and used the install script. It was set up with no knowledge of mySQL, and my vBulletin has almost all features on this board ( I got to figure why a few don't work on F2S) then I am done.

Whatever!

Originally posted by needcgispace

you're wrong, vB is VERY easy to integrate into your site. you just need a little mySQL knowledge and you're done.
That's no what I meant. I made dinamic MySQL headers and footers to my phpBB. If I update the db, it's shown in my forums header and footer as on the rest of the site.

I haven't had a PHP board before, but they seem to be faster.

Gybro was kind enough to install Ikonboard on my Hobbiton account, and it's my favorite forum yet.

I've also used ASP boards and loved 'em, but until MS does something about ASP's inherit slowness, I'm going PHP or Perl.

Does it really matter what language is used as long as it works? :)

PS, are there any ColdFusion boards?

Back