• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Php on local machine

Abush

DP MAC SC UC...
NLC
How can I install php on my dell laptop? I wana use it to write and test scripts. Any help is much appreciated.

Best would be VMware and set up a virtual machine that runs the exact OS/webserver combination as your production server. Write them on your host, port them to your VM, fire up your browser on your host.

Works great for me. Hope you know a bit about NIX/Apache/PHP/MySQL.

Have not really used NIX environments but a friend suggested xampp and I'm downloading that now. Thanks.

Using Tree's method would teach you not only PHP coding, but *nix system administration too.

And, you don't have to do any fancy dual booting or anything. Download VMWare server, burn a *nix to CD, install the OS, hack away.

Xampp I've helped someone else out with and kept running into tons of problems.

if your running XP try wamp, its super easy to install and comes with everything you need (lastest php, mysql and apache)

I installed Xampp and I dono how to get the php running. I mean it says php is running but files that I created with a .php ending wont run. Anyone know where I need to place the files so I can run them from http://localhost/myfile.php ?

Look somewhere there is a folder called "htdocs" or "www" or "public_html" in another folder that is called "XAMPP". Then it should work, but also make sure that you aren't running on a port other than 80...

it's htdocs that's all I can remember, dunno if it's in program files or C:\ by default...

I got it guys. for me it was C:\xampp\htdocs I just did my first php page :p and I feel good. I had a line that echoed "wassup". I feel good so excuse my excitement. I'll be needing some help in the near future (more like a lot of help). I appreciate it.

the only issues I've had with XAMPP are random mysql failures related to root access, other than that, it's been as great as for you. apache2triad is my second favorite

xampplite is good, as it requires least configuration, I keep it on my flash drive.
xampp is beefier.

Of course, installing apache, php & mysql separately isn't very hard, and I'd recommend that, as it's a very leet way of doing things.

And then, the best option is to switch to linux, and compile everything from source 8)

Back