• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

PHP MYSQL (should be easy :) )

WebWatcher

For the life of me I cannot remember how to fix it so can someone here rejig my memory.....

PROBLEM: in a mysql db I have a value "Lance O'Connor" but when i read the value in php it comes out as "Lance O" can somebody please remind me how I get the value to come out on php as "Lance O'Connor"!!

Thanks in advance

Hi WebWatcher.

You probably need to use "addslashes( $your_mysql_value )".
How exactly do you read the value in php at the moment? Can you show that part of your code?

Hm.. are you sure it's Lance O' Connor in your database? Have you checked the actual database?

You probably need to use "addslashes( $your_mysql_value )".
How exactly do you read the value in php at the moment? Can you show that part of your code?

Better to do mysql_real_escape_string( $your_mysql_value );

And yeah, show us your code!

$ge = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM table'");
while($get = mysql_fetch_array($ge)) {
$val = $get['name'];
}

Thats the code

Well, that should work. Go into phpmyadmin and check to see if it's stored as Lance O'Connor or just Lance O.

Just saw an extra ' right at the end of your query... take that out also.

If you're doing an SQL query anywhere that uses POST data, to protect against SQL injection.

PHP:
<?php
$myvar = $_POST['myvar']; // don't ever do this
$myvar = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['myvar']); // Use it when you're getting data that a user can input; also $_GET, $_REQUEST

mysql_query("INSERT INTO mytable (`field`) VALUES ('$myvar')");
mysql_query("SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE field='$myvar'");
mysql_query("UPDATE mytable SET field='$myvar'");

Can you paste your exact insert code and the output code... because this shouldn't be happening.

$ge = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM table WHERE homawa='a'");
$name = $get['value'];
}

Thats the code used to read it. The value = "John O'Connor" and all it outputs when I use:

echo"$name";

is John O

Is it maybe a setting problem with mysql or something?

Try changing

to
while($get = mysql_fetch_array($ge, MYSQL_ASSOC)) {

Back