• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

php multi-guestbook?

ckevin

hello,

I wish to offer free PHP with MySQL backend guestbooks to members so that they can get a free customized guestbook. I have searched http://www.hotscripts.com but can't find the scripts I want, can you suggest any links?

(Though, I found CGI scripts available but really I wish to have a PHP one only...)

Thanks very much.

kevin

Yeah, right now im thinking about writing my own php/mysql guestbook service. If anybody wants to help...

Maybe you can, er, "borrow" some of the better php guestbook scripts out there, use 'em as references, "hack" 'em, and then start writing your own.

Originally posted by LeX
damn it, nick, you beat me to it....

you can offer pre-installed CGI guestbook too, if you want. Take a look here: http://www.cgi-resources.com

Ha! Got anything else to suggest, Nick? :p

Yes. As a matter of fact I do. How about READING THE PERSON'S MESSAGE?

Posted By ckevin, and misread by LeX
hello,

I wish to offer free PHP with MySQL backend guestbooks to members so that they can get a free customized guestbook. I have searched http://www.hotscripts.com but can't find the scripts I want, can you suggest any links?

(Though, I found CGI scripts available but really I wish to have a PHP one only...)

Thanks very much.

kevin

yes, as possible, I won't use CGI scripts in my server because it ate me 90% of my server resources (CPU, RAM...)!!! :D

Nick, I really searched http://php.resourceindex.com/ but it seems less PHP scripts than hotscripts.com and can't find the suitable one...

Koolguy, I wish to help you but I'm not programmer and only know 15% about PHP and 5% about MySQL! haha (I still can help you setup the clear upfront HTML with CSS as well as testing your scripts!)

Lex, as you said... I have decided to "borrow" some of the better php guestbook scripts and "hack" but again I'm not a programmer, so don't have the power to do that! :)

Koolguy, if, one day, you have finished the work, can you share the script with me?!

Anyways, thanks all your help! If anyone find any other links, just state them here! Thanks.

ckevin that would be great if we could work together! I already have a rough guestbook created, it has all the basic features that you would expect from one. I think I might refine it a bit and then show you it. Now all that has to be created is some scripts that would manage and create guestbooks for visitors on request.

if you really want a PHP/MYSQL gbook script, try getting one and write another script to create multiple configuration files (you know, when ppl register for a guestbook) and it should work fine.

i know a few multi-guestbook written in Perl but I don't know any for PHP.

here's a script i found written in php/mysql:
http://www.bastian-friedrich.de/comp/guestbook/

there many be others ... i didn't really search all that hard :D

Well actually I have a working guestbook (that I wrote) running on my computer right now. I only have to adapt it to work with multiple users and special configs, background etc.

What I was thinking was to have 3 databases. The first one would keep track of the users info, passwords etc. The second would contain all the configuration variables (fonts etc.) while the third stores all the entries by the guests. There would only be two actual files for all of the guestbooks (ie. sign.phtml?id=username view.phtml?id=username) and the various guestbooks would be totally layed out with two tables each. The owner of each guestbook would be able to block IP's from signing, send email to guests, customize the guestbooks look, allow/disallow html, and edit/delete posts.

(hehe, Koolguy, you wrote the previous message while I'm thinking of this message :p )

Koolguy, here is my suggestion/to do list for you to hack your existing scripts to enable multigook...

(1) PHP should be setup to open a new MySQL table when a new user sign up and delete the account/table for no activity after X days so that the system resources can be utilize!

(2) Need a modify page for change of User setting/Delete Account. Also a password retreive page for forget password.

(3) Custom things include headers/footers, background pics/color, font face/size/color...

(4) The "sign guest book form" can be put at the bottom of the guestbook page for simple nav. rather than make it in another PHP file.

(5) Extra (really an extra, hehe) features you can consider is: Search Guestbook, Private message, Word filter, Photo insert.

That's it! Koolguy, tell me anytime if you think I can help you there! :)

[Edited by ckevin on 01-28-2001 at 02:10 AM]

i have waited for some time, but still can't get a php multiple guestbook system, anyone can help?

thanks very mcuh.

Back