• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Personal Use Reseller Newbie

Carver

I had a falling out with my web host and had a buddy tell me he could offer me a Reseller Web Host package for my domains (18 in all). I took him up on it, it was more GB for less than I had been paying.

After reading the forum for a few days, I realize that I have no clue how to manage my sites in this package. lol. So my first lesson with your help I hope, is to learn how to use the back up data.

Someone suggested to back up your 'web host' each night. I do this on an external drive. I have a cPanel and I know how to FTP. so To make my question clear, If my websites would crash and I would need to reinstall my backup files, how do I do that? I know it sounds like a stupid question, and my bud is helpful, I just thought I'd stop bombarding him with questions lol and try to learn some of this on my own.

While it would be nice to offer web space to others, I've got to learn to take care of myself first :)

Carver

Hello Carver, we suggest you start with learning how to upload and download a website to and from your server using a FTP client. The FTP client is the simplest and most generic form of saving and moving website data to and from any server. There are many other ways, just more advanced. Then we suggest you make a copy of each of your websites and save them to a safe place that is not located on your server just in case something goes wrong later, just like you would backup your data from your computer. Just to be safe. Then you should learn all about how to use your WHM and your cPanel's ability's of your server. Learning both will advance your position substantially for server administration and maintenance. All this information can easily be found on line by a simple search and some reading. After that your well on your way to helping yourself.

Regards.

In completition to what Technut said, you should also backup your mysql database, if you use one for your website. Go to Phpmyadmin, navigate to the database, click Export, and chose the option to save as a plain .sql file or gzipped file and press the "Go" button.

In completition to what Technut said, you should also backup your mysql database, if you use one for your website. Go to Phpmyadmin, navigate to the database, click Export, and chose the option to save as a plain .sql file or gzipped file and press the "Go" button.

Yep, thanks for the back-up on that point AboutWeb, we blew right past that important point.

Thank you for your advice. I do make backups of mySQL databases, and I know how to save content. woohoo! lol I don't know how to reload it so it shows correctly. I've been trying to reload the sites to the new server, without luck. My main one, I rebuilt from scratch instead of asking my web host, I really want to learn to do for myself. As Ober-something suggested, I can have my host do it for me, but I'm not learning to do for myself if I do that.

Off to search the web :)
Carver

One problem that I got today, when I was cleaning the PHP Codes from my pages, I messed something up. So, I tried to restore my backup. The backup was an archive on my local hard-disk. I uncompressed the archive and then uploaded to FTP. But something went wrong, I think Windows some how changed my "chmod" settings for the files in the backup, as I had before a folder with "chmod 777" but after I restored the backup it was chmoded as 755..lol. So, you should check your files for chmod properties after you restore a backup.

Thank you for your advice. I do make backups of mySQL databases, and I know how to save content. woohoo! lol I don't know how to reload it so it shows correctly. I've been trying to reload the sites to the new server, without luck. My main one, I rebuilt from scratch instead of asking my web host, I really want to learn to do for myself. As Ober-something suggested, I can have my host do it for me, but I'm not learning to do for myself if I do that.

Off to search the web :)
Carver

Great your already making copys of your database. Ouch! Really you shouldn't have to re-build your web site from scratch if it still remains on any server (unless you just want to). Just a simple FTP download from that existing location would do the trick and get you a usable copy, if nothing more there are copies that remain from past times your web host has made backups of your website that you should be able to use in this situation, and up-load the whole website completely yourself, without any help from your old web host. This FTP thing is something you should learn to do anyway as it is standard operating procedure for moving website content around.

Regards.

I appreciate the advice. Today, I've traveled for the off line job and nothing has gotten done online. I haven't been able to play with the uploads. I did download from the old host via FTP, so if I only have to check chmod codes lol (Thanks AboutWeb) I should be in business sometime tomorrow. I look forward to that. I'm so tired of rebuilding sites. I want to learn something new instead of doing the same old thing over again. Maybe my content will come up with the reinstall. Looking for some good stuff to happen :cool2:

now I'm excited ... I didn't have to wait for the moderator to accept my post woo hoo doing happy dance lol

If you indeed afraid of that issue,you should backup your site periodically and choose the hosting provider guarantee a backup for customers with or without charge.

Back