• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

PERL HELP!: Errors Galore!

Shedevil

Hiya.

I need HELP!!!!!!
Okay, I know perl and cgi...but I'm at my wits end...

Anyways, I placed the correct perl path #!/usr/local/bin at the top of ALL my perl files, chomd'd EVERYTHING correctly, 755 for .pl files in my cgi-bin, and 777 for sub-directories in my html folder along with the .htm files that needed to be chmod'd to 755 (as stated in set up instructions); but NOTHING works...I keep getting error 500 for ALL my scripts and when my config file works, I enter the info, hit update and then config decides to give error 500 again and refuses to work once more....IT'S THE SAME FILE BEING READ!!!

I'm trying to test a "create your own mailing list" (similar to yahoo with JUST the mailing list...not the archive).
I followed the instructions, changed what I needed (my cgi root is /home/username/cgi-bin and my url root: /home/username/public_html and still NOTHING) I even tried chmod'ing them to the universal chmod 666 to stop errors...

I tried stripping the files from my domain and refreshing...then uploading them again. NOTHING works....

Edit: yup Ascii for .pl files in the cgi-bin and binary for .htm files (these were in the instructions to be chmod'd in myname/public_home/list/ (list had to be chmod'd too))

This is how it looks at the top (I changed my url and username to what my details are for my domain--for security reasons, I put them back for this little HELP post).

#!/usr/local/bin
#-------------------------------------------------------------------
# Change the location of perl on your server on the line above
#
# $cgi_dir - url path to your cgi directory
# $my_url - url path to this module
# $my_root - path to the root web directory relative to the server root
# require - path to the library file relative to the server root
#
# No other settings need to be changed.
#-------------------------------------------------------------------

$cgi_dir = "http://www.mydomain.org/cgi-bin";
$my_url = "http://www.mydomain.org/cgi-bin/lmadm.pl";
$my_root = " /home/myusername/public_html";
require "/home/myusername/cgi-bin/lmlib.pl";

Any ideas how to stop this error? I've asked support where my domain is hosted but they haven't responded.

If anyone knows of a FREE mailinglist script (like yahoo etc.) I can set up for my site on my domain, I'd appreciate it as I'm getting sick of onelist, topica and yahoo's spamming and not sending invites--some users can't even sign up!

As I said, I'm at my wits end with this script...I can't figure it out! I only had to change the top bit for 5 scripts and cgi-local to cgi-bin on the .htm files.

*Hopeful look*

-Shedevil

:crying5: Nope, still doesn't want to work.

I've stripped the whole thing off my system and tried again.

I've tried the perl path my server has and ran several "get path" scripts for my cgi info. They work but not this damn script! :doh!:

-Shedevil

Who hosts it - I know of some that have a process limit, causes 500's all over the place.

try playing with your paths

add the '/' at the end
or check your error log to see whats wrong

Just noticed this in their FAQ

Q: Do you support or will you support PHP, Perl (CGI directory), ASP, JSP, MySQL, Access databases?
A: Unfortunately we do not support these for security reasons.

shoulda updated my cp!

No no, I shoulda updated my cp incase you all wanted to take a look *falls over* my fault!

Anyways, my domain is: http://www.moonation.org it's allowed access to perl, cgi, sendmail, smtp, php and a whole bunch of other stuff.

It's when I go to this file: http://www.moonation.org/ListMail/index.htm that everything gets error 500 upon pressing configure.

I've tried everything to get the config file to stop refreshing itself and giving error 500 after putting time into setting it up and hitting update, but to no avail.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!
:crying5:

-Shedevil

Okay Decker,

I'll PM each script URL to you (in txt format for you...hehehe I'll hide it so no one can see them).

I REALLY want this script to work, it's eating at me not getting it to run smoothy!!!
I've been at it everynight for nearly 2 weeks!

-Shedevil

Thanks Decker ^_^

If you can find the error that's making it not read the saving you're a total genius *grins*.

-Shedevil

:typing: this ones a real thinker :biggrin2:

I'll get it if it kills me :doh!:

I'm going to set a server up with an old version of PERL, as the script was written in 98, all my servers are on PERL 5 and I'm almost sure it's that. Might need a module added or edited for this to run properly :confused5

Yeah I have Perl 5 on my server...I ran a perl script that tells me my perl modules etc. they all say Perl 5 or Perl 5. something.

I tried changing them to .cgi but to no avail...

I'm normally quite good at working with cgi scripts, but this one just makes me want to smash my computer due to frustration.

I only chose it because Dada Mail doesn't support multi submitions at once...unless you by the book with the codes...though being here in Oz, it's twice the price they're asking, ($25US = roughly: $AU50 just to have it converted back to US dollars).

Not only that, Dada Mail has a gazillion files (okay that's exagerating...but it's A LOT of files to upload) for one tiny program.

*hugs*

Thanks for helping.

-Shedevil

No Probs :)

It's one of those ones I like getting my teeth into, more challenging than standard day to day stuff :biggrin2:

The shebang should be #!/usr/bin/perl or #!/usr/local/bin/perl
Not #!/usr/local/bin

You will get 500 errors if Apache cannot find the program to run the script with.
Always take a look in your error_log, it almost always reveals the problem.

Tried that Greg it's just that the attached ones are unedited. It seems to need an older version of PERL, as it runs ok on v4... :S

Try adding -w to the end of the shebang line (#!/usr/bin/... -w). I dunno if you already got this fixed, but that usually helps.

Back