• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Perl Desk Help...

xzx

b&
b&
I am trying to setup perldesk, i upload, chmod, and go to install.cgi, enter all the info, and it creates it, everything looks ok, and on the final page it says you need to go to the admin.cgi file and enter admin/demo as user/pass, and under that it says you MUST delete the install.cgi file first, and i do that. The only problem, is when i go to admin.cgi, it gives me a 500 error. I checked the chmod settings and it is set at 755. I think my problem may be the data path, yet i am not sure.

General Settings
Data Path
This is the full system path to the main perldesk files (pdesk.cgi/staff.cgi/admin/cgi) There should be no trailing /

I entered /cgi-bin/pdesk
and even tried /var/www/cgi-bin/pdesk

Neither worked. Anyone else ever get this problem or have knowledge of perl desk?

Thanks...

I told you is the path error... last time you were trying to setup anti-leech script and it wasn't working... that's not because of the script's problem... is just you entered the incorrect path...

how do you find your data path? try my script...

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";
print "$0\n";

save as .pl file. upload and change permisson to 0755. Run.

Originally posted by YUPAPA
I told you is the path error... last time you were trying to setup anti-leech script and it wasn't working... that's not because of the script's problem... is just you entered the incorrect path...

how do you find your data path? try my script...

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
print "$0\n";

save as .pl file. upload and change permisson to 0755. Run.

I tried this, EXACTLY, and the only thing i saw was "1.pl" which was what i saved the file as.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
print $ENV{'SCRIPT_FILENAME'};

ok, i did that and it showed the path, i entered it, tried it again and i get the server internal 500 error.

I believe that it is something else that is messing up, i deleted the install.cgi before i try the admin.cgi and no luck. Anyone know anything that could be wrong, and yes it is already chmod to 755.

I'd suggest looking in your error log for a better description of the problem, "Internal Server Error" doesn't really tell you anything.

Originally posted by xzx

ok, i did that and it showed the path, i entered it, tried it again and i get the server internal 500 error.

I believe that it is something else that is messing up, i deleted the install.cgi before i try the admin.cgi and no luck. Anyone know anything that could be wrong, and yes it is already chmod to 755.

It shows the path to the script, not the path to your account home directory... and i have an english problem... Is chmod is a verb?? I think it stands for change mode...

and what script are you installing? i will try to install it by myself...

Perl Desk 1.5.5.

I know that it is a really simple problem, i'm just wondering what it is i didn't do, because i followed the instructions step by step. Ch-mod isn't a verb, but i used it as one because i was just typing and didn't think that my english teacher would be reading this....

wall "oh i see!"
chmod 0 /bin/chmod :D
What a way to screw up chmod.... ;)
Another no-no is
WARNING! DONT DO THIS! YOU COULD SCREW UP YOUR UNIX SYSTEM!
Code:
[root@localhost ~]#rm -rf /
WARNING! DONT DO THIS! YOU COULD SCREW UP YOUR UNIX SYSTEM!

Anyways, this is getting off-topic :chinese2:

oh Come on!
I don't think anyone has a unix system here! Everyone is looking for free hosting! They can't screw that thing up cuz they have no root access.... If they really have a unix system and run this... I prefer him not to buy a server and not to use unix anymore... HAHA! :D... This is FUN!!!

and why not try this?

mail meme@youyou.com </etc/passwd

:D

It works perfectly fine here! http://www2.yupapa.com/cgi-bin/admin.cgi
It took me less than a minute to setup... i don't know what you did wrong... maybe some perl modules aren't installed on your server??

What extra perl modules would i need if i have ensim control panel 3.1 installed on it?

Do you have a script i can run to check if i have it already installed?

Originally posted by xzx
What extra perl modules would i need if i have ensim control panel 3.1 installed on it?

I don't understand... Ensim is not a perl module... is a program written in a programming language that I don't know... PHP?!? Perl?? I don't have ensim, so I don't know what it is written in.

looks like perldesk uses the most standard perl module... maybe you didn't install MD5?

You can check those modules by running perl diver... I am not sure I still have it... let me find the script...

If he's missing a module it would be mentioned in the error log ("Can't locate whatever/whatever.pm in @INC..."), which some posts back I suggested he check, but my reply seems to have been overlooked.

I think i may know what was wrong, In the control panel, the script alias for cgi is cgi-bin, and the alias for perl, is perl. If i change this to nothing, does that mean that i can use cgi and perl scripts anywhere on the account?

Originally posted by xzx
I think i may know what was wrong, In the control panel, the script alias for cgi is cgi-bin, and the alias for perl, is perl. If i change this to nothing, does that mean that i can use cgi and perl scripts anywhere on the account?

I don't quite understand what you said... you said the script alias for cgi is cgi-bin... I guess you can only run scripts under the cgi-bin folder.

Yea, So where can i get a script to test and see if i have to required perl modules for perl desk?

http://www.scriptsolutions.com/programs/free/perldiver/index.html --- the page seems to be blank... I use IE, netscape not tried.

Here is the long-winded perl diver... is the original one that I didn't do any mods to it... have fun! :D

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

################################################################
#                                                              #
#                        PerlDiver v1.1                        #
#          Copyright ?999 - Tintagel Consulting, LLC          #
#                    dba Script Solutions                      #
#               [url]http://www.scriptsolutions.com/[/url]                #
#                     All rights reserved                      #
# PURPOSE OF PROGRAM:                                          #
# PerlDiver v1.1 gives you the location of your sendmail       #
# program, your path to perl, your environment variables and   #
# most (not all) of the Perl modules that are installed on     #
# your web server.                                             #
# INSTRUCTIONS:                                                #
# Complete instructions and the newest version are located at: #
# [url]http://www.scriptsolutions.com/programs/free/perldiver/[/url]      #
# LICENSE AGREEMENT:                                           #
# By downloading and installing PerlDiver v1.1, you have       #
# agreed to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Tintagel      #
# Consulting, LLC dba Script Solutions from any and all        #
# liability, penalties, losses, damages, costs, expenses,      #
# attorneys' fees, causes of action or claims caused by or     #
# resulting indirectly from your use of this script which      #
# damages either you, or any other party or parties without    #
# limitation or exception. This indemnification and hold       #
# harmless agreement extends to all issues associated with     #
# this script.                                                 #

#                DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING BELOW                  #

$sendmail	=`whereis sendmail`;
$plocation	=`whereis perl`;
@perlloc = split(" ",$plocation);
@mailloc = split(" ",$sendmail);
$font = '<FONT FACE="Verdana, sans serif" SIZE=2>';
&vars;

print "Content-type:  text/html\n\n";
print qq~<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>$program $version</TITLE></HEAD><body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" ALINK="#FDB900" LINK="#BF0425" VLINK="#1200FD" TOPMARGIN=0 LEFTMARGIN=0 RIGHTMARGIN=0><P><DIV ALIGN=CENTER><TABLE WIDTH=100% BGCOLOR=#FDB900 CELLPADDING=2 CELLSPACING=0 BORDER=1><TR><TH>$font<FONT SIZE=4>Server Program Paths</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE><P><TABLE BORDER=1 CELLPADDING=3 WIDTH=95%>	<TR><TD BGCOLOR="$bgcolor" WIDTH=35%>${font}<B>Perl Executable:</B></TD>		<TD WIDTH=65%>${font}$^X</TD></TR>	<TR><TD BGCOLOR="$bgcolor">${font}<B>Perl Version:</B></TD>		<TD>${font}$]</TD></TR>	<TR><TD BGCOLOR="$bgcolor">${font}<B>PERL compile version OS:</B></TD>		<TD>${font}$^O</TD></TR>	<TR><TD BGCOLOR="$bgcolor">${font}<B>GID</B>: <FONT SIZE=1>(If not blank, you are on a machine that supports membership in 		multiple groups simultaneously)</FONT></TD>		<TD>${font}$<</TD></TR>	<TR><TD VALIGN=TOP BGCOLOR="$bgcolor">${font}<B>Location of Perl:</B></TD>		<TD>${font}~;

foreach $loc(@perlloc)	{
	print "$loc<BR>\n";
	}

print qq~</TD></TR>	<TR><TD VALIGN=TOP BGCOLOR="$bgcolor">${font}<B>Location of Sendmail:</B></TD><TD>${font}~;
foreach $ml(@mailloc)	{
	print "$ml<BR>\n";
	}
print qq~</TD></TR>	<TR><TD VALIGN=TOP BGCOLOR="$bgcolor">${font} <B>Directory locations searched for perl executables</B></TD><TD>$font~;

foreach $item(@INC)	{
	print "$item <BR>\n";
	}

print qq~</TD></TR></TABLE><P><TABLE WIDTH=100% BGCOLOR=#FDB900 CELLPADDING=2 CELLSPACING=0 BORDER=1><TR><TH>$font<FONT SIZE=4>Environment Variables</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE><P><TABLE BORDER=1 CELLPADDING=3 WIDTH=95%>~;

foreach $fieldname(keys %ENV)	{
	print qq~	<TR><TD BGCOLOR="$bgcolor" WIDTH=35%><B>${font}$fieldname</B></TD>		<TD WIDTH=65%>${font}$ENV{$fieldname}</TD></TR>~;
	}
print qq~</TABLE><P><TABLE WIDTH=100% BGCOLOR=#FDB900 CELLPADDING=2 CELLSPACING=0 BORDER=1><TR><TH>$font<FONT SIZE=4>Installed Modules</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE><P><TABLE BORDER=1 CELLPADDING=3 WIDTH=100%>~;

find(\&wanted,@INC);
$modcount = 0;

foreach $line(@foundmods)	{
	$match = lc($line);
	if ($found{$line}[0] >0)	{	$found{$line} = [$found{$line}[0]+1,$match]	}
	else	{
		$found{$line} = ["1",$match];
		$modcount++;
		}
	}
@foundmods = sort count keys(%found);

sub count {