• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

People are so Greedy

AMC

serial slacker
NLC
I help out on a newly started Host so i came to browse these forums. The one thing that struck me was just how much people seem to ask for. Im sure the hosts among you will feel the same

I can totally understand if you are paying, some hosts can offer better prices, and so on. However i just read a thread from someone who was asking for 90GB of banwidth. To me that seems totally crazy, as you PAY for that kind of deal.

I mean i think new webmasters just come to this forum looking for a host, and just try theyre luck. they see how big a deal they can scrounge.

I really wonder how many of them understad what the bare statistics mean. Which ever way you look at it 1 GB of bandwidth equals about 100,000 page views. Therefore (for people who cant count) someone asking for 50 gb of bandwidth, is saying that they get 5,000,000 pageviews a month!!!! Now i am sorry but at that stage, you can pay for your hosting.

I wonder actually how many people have requested exactly that, and furthermore i wonder howmany of them can honestly tell me that they get 60,000,000 pagviews annualy. I would suggest that the number is very low.

Another thing i noticed was people, who were aksing for hosting without ads or posts, anyone would thing we were a bunch of online charities

Normally it's people starting a new project convinved it'll be as big as youtube in a week, it is annoying though, and even more annoying when someone comes along and says I'll do that, making everyone who is realistic and good at thier jobs like total idiots....

Yeah, I know what you mean. It makes it hard for hosts trying to get off the ground ( i have first hand experience) they dont get the members simply because they arent going to hand out great packets of bandwidth on a whim,

Bandwidth is probably the most expensive commodity on the net. and yet we are expected to just give it away.

If people are going to make big requests, they should either start small, with the prospect of upgrading, or have a site already, which they are merely re-locating.

do people often ask you for no post/ad deals??

I help out on a newly started Host so i came to browse these forums. The one thing that struck me was just how much people seem to ask for. Im sure the hosts among you will feel the same

I can totally understand if you are paying, some hosts can offer better prices, and so on. However i just read a thread from someone who was asking for 90GB of banwidth. To me that seems totally crazy, as you PAY for that kind of deal.

I mean i think new webmasters just come to this forum looking for a host, and just try theyre luck. they see how big a deal they can scrounge.

I really wonder how many of them understad what the bare statistics mean. Which ever way you look at it 1 GB of bandwidth equals about 100,000 page views. Therefore (for people who cant count) someone asking for 50 gb of bandwidth, is saying that they get 5,000,000 pageviews a month!!!! Now i am sorry but at that stage, you can pay for your hosting.

I wonder actually how many people have requested exactly that, and furthermore i wonder howmany of them can honestly tell me that they get 60,000,000 pagviews annualy. I would suggest that the number is very low.

Another thing i noticed was people, who were aksing for hosting without ads or posts, anyone would thing we were a bunch of online charities

lol You call these people webmasters?
A ture webmaster pays and thats all there is to it
these people are kids or atleast acting like kids asking for mega deals with no ads for basicly nothing.
I agree with everything you said expect the webmaster part.

One of the problems with beginners and web hosting is that web hosts such high bandwidth offers (mainly for marketing puposes) that newbies believe that they actually need that much bandwidth.

Based on my own experience, content sites with AdSense (this is how most newbie webmasters start out) don't need more than 5GB bandwidth for the first couple of months.

It's mostly some of the web hosts here I think that offer too much for nothing in return. I guess that's ok if they have a bunch of money to keep it going themselves but sooner or later they are going to not be able to make the bills and crash and burn. I do hope they realize that possibility when they sign up with these free hosts that offer the World for nothing.

Yeah, I agree. Most of the adds in the free hosting requests board look more like they should be in the paid hosting requests board. Why is that? (read above)

Oops, sorry I just made another post like this! Yeah, I agree obviously. We only offer 100MB 4GB b/w free, it's been popular too. Got vhx.cc up to pr3 in about two weeks ;)

At the end of the day, do you want little snots demanding huge accounts? Are those even the people you want to help out? No.

Agree with things mentioned in this thread.

I have an almost empty dedicated server for the past 3 years. Many times I was tempted to give out free hosting. However, people's requirements just got bigger and bigger and most of them don't bother to describe their website when asking for hosting.

Now, I just host my own site and only give out hosting very selectively.

Aye, folks asking for forum hosting, 100GB of bandwidth and other outrageous things are just that - outrageous!!! They expect this all for free - and with no ads! :eek: I can't tell you how many times I've been laughed at since going into free hosting again for offering only 100MB, but that's what I can offer so that I can be sure I can financially support the service, and I don't just close shop one day. What these folks don't realize is that when they do get these high limits with no ads, the packages are from fly-by-night hosts, who will randomly close down one day, taking all of the user's data with them. It's far better to choose someone reliable - and realistic!!!

<done ranting>

Back