• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Paypal

Status
Not open for further replies.

anhedonia

I'm on a boat
NLC
Is Paypal a good service to use for somebody wishing to receive payment for freelance web design? I'm in Australia, and I just want a quick and easy (and free!) way for people to be able to pay me as I'm not too fond of giving out my address.

Giving out my bank account # to clients works well, but only for some people - for others it's inconvenient and sometimes impossible.

yes, its a good way to send and get money..

be sure just to keep your pay pal account low since some people have gotten their accounts removed for nothing

Originally posted by is0lized
be sure just to keep your pay pal account low since some people have gotten their accounts removed for nothing

That doesn't sound too good!!! :eek:

So do I get sent a cheque or something?

yes there are, not sure what they are... but im not sure how many people use them, i only know there is a service like paypal but you do it direct payment instead of storing money in a system, point of it so people dont know your personal info

Chips, there are minimal problems with paypal. Some of the largest advertising networks use it instead of cheques.

If you have a problem EVER send an email to damon@paypal.com for the fastest response.

paypal is a waste of time. i have seen more than one legitimate account frozen, and a sudden policy change (no email was sent about it) did as good as freezing my account - i have no bank account or cc (since i'm 17 and haven't had any jobs where i got significant amts of money), so i haven't been able to "verify" my account. i wouldn't trust them with the info anyway. their policy change said that unverified members could no longer send payments from their account balance. and to confirm your address, you have to send official id with your name & address exactly as on Paypal acct and a copy of a recent utility bill with the same address on it, in your name. i don't pay the bills! :mad: and when i signed up with paypal, i had used my nickname (Nicki) because that's what i always go by. and my driver's license uses my full name (Veronica). so they wouldn't accept it. :angry2:
anyway...paypal seems to be like quicksand...try to avoid them. e-gold is used by a lot of people, and seems to be getting more popular as paypal is freeing more accounts for no reason.

...i just read the message on paypalwarning.com ...sounds about right. :rolleyes:

I have to say, that one thing that is really annoying with paypal, is that you have to have a paypal account, in order to pay webhosts,etc. It takes a week sometimes to get your new $1.95 member number. Here is a solution that you may find helpful. Go to www.checkman.com It costs $30 I belive, but after that, it is completly free to use! You can accept checks over the phone, over the fax, or online! You simply print it up on your computer, then you deposit it. We give our customer free copies, & they really like it.. Let me know if this helps=)
Also, you may think of getting an actuall merchant account. & yes, I do sell those for a flat fee, but I am not going to say how, when, or where, as I am not trying to advertise here.. If you want to know more, you can PM me.. As far as the checkman, no I do not get anything from telling you about it, we give free copies to our merchant customers=) I hope this helps..

Hi byrdgirl13,

Hi byrdgirl13,

I am sorry to hear of your issues with the service. However, while reading your post, several things do come to mind:

a) you are not of legal age to hold a PayPal account

b) the sending limits put in place (verification) are in place to reduce the amount of damage someone could do with a stolen credit card

c) account restrictions are actually quite rare. Reasons for an account restriction can be found in the User agreement. PayPal doesn't just restrict accounts on a whim...some problematic indicators have to be present.

d) account restrictions can be resolved

e) policy changes are typically given 30 days advanced notice. This information is available on the web site, as email is not the perfect medium at all times. All changes can be viewed under the "What's New" section.

As it relates to PayPalWarning, I would point to the following:

a) the stories are selectively edited
b) the stories are not verified
c) company policy relative to a specific customer issue is not presented
d) the posters are anonymous

(You would actually find many of the complaints on the site come about because of an issue between a buyer and a seller.)

PayPal has a fairly substantial users base. This does mean that we are going to get our share of disgruntled customers. I am active in internet forums to make sure that our users do get any outstanding issues are resolved.

Re: Hi byrdgirl13,

I've been using paypal for around 8-9 months and haven't had any problems. It's quite useful for people without credit cards (like me).

One thing I'm just unsure of:
Originally posted by paypaldamon

a) you are not of legal age to hold a PayPal account
Since when is there an age limit to get an account? I don't remember reading that in the terms when I signed up.

Hi Bruce,

I believe the terms did allow users to hold an account at the age of 16 at one point. However, it did require parental permission before they could maintain the account.

As an FYI, I do have some PayPal t-shirts available (no charge). I would simply need a name/size/address to get you one (feel free to PM me...or email me at damon@paypal.com).

We have been with paypal for over a year now and no trouble at all. Last week they finally started a service that made it possible to transfer money to bankaccounts in Sweden :) . They only charge $1.5 and that compared to the rates I have to pay to get money from a US check it's nothing.

Last edited:
when i joined, it said you had to be 16, and i was. now i'm 17. i received no notice of any policy change about age (and knew nothing about it until your post); if there is a policy change which would make me no longer eligible for an account, i ought to be notified. there was also no email regarding the change that said unverified members could no longer send or withdraw money. i had every penny of that $46.48 in my account at the beginning of december, when neither of these changes were in place. i earned it and am entitled to it.
trust me, damon, i would be more than happy to get rid of my paypal account, but as of now, my money is stuck in there and i want it back. :angry2:

Re: Hi Bruce,

Originally posted by paypaldamon
I believe the terms did allow users to hold an account at the age of 16 at one point. However, it did require parental permission before they could maintain the account.
You give up too easy chips :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back