• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Paypal - Account Limited Problem

Urgh.

So today my paypal account got limited because of unusual activity with a credit card linked to my paypal account....except that I don't - and have never had any credit card linked to my account.

To resolve, I need to add and verify my credit card...but I don't have one!

Upon explaining the situation to paypal, I get the following response:

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. During a recent screening, we noticed an issue regarding your account.

Our system detected unusual activity on a credit card linked to your PayPal account.

Reference Number: PP-494-567-387

For your protection, we have limited access to your account until additional security measures can be completed. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution Centre. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal by visiting the Help Centre and clicking 'Contact Us'.

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologise for any inconvenience.

I replied explaining to them using CAPS that I don't have any credit card and have never linked any credit cards to my account so this is impossible, no reply.

What pisses me off the most, is that they are telling me to contact them, when I have just done exactly that...

Has anyone had this happen to them? Is this a paypal glitch of some sort?

My Paypal account was limited ages ago and at the end, I found out it was due to buying things from eBay alot :S

Have you tried ringing them ?

Nope, I found out one and a half hours after their support hours (Australian services).

I will definately talk to them over the phone tomorrow.

Unfortunately PayPal have gone mad recently, you should read the ebay forums, new 'security' rules/payment holds/accounts limited and complaints all over the place...

I was limited once before, but haven't had an issue with that for a while. I only have issues with chargebacks. Biggest reason why I am switching CC payments to 2CheckOut

make sure the email is from paypal and not some phishing thing :)

A brilliant idea would be to get people to call you to confirm their credit card information.

I'm sure it's not a scam email, I found out because paypal wouldn't let me do a payment, and it clearly said it's limited in my account page.

I ran up paypal today, and they unlocked it. Said that it was automatically tagged by their system, but when a human had a look at it more closely, they could see no problem.

They need to improve their reasons on why their system locks up accounts. I remember back in the day accounts got limited by nothing and now from what I see it has gone back to the same with all this new policies and what not.

Urgh.

So today my paypal account got limited because of unusual activity with a credit card linked to my paypal account....except that I don't - and have never had any credit card linked to my account.

To resolve, I need to add and verify my credit card...but I don't have one!
DON'T use PayPal. It's as simple as that. They do not conform to the Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Code - therefore they are not safe and cannot be trusted. You need to tell them your Credit Card number to "verify" your account?? What could possibly be more ridiculous??? I mean that just supports fraud - like a recent telephone-fraud that was making the rounds here in Canberra (I picked up the phone to the call - hung up, and then heard about it on the news later). The fraud was as follows: 1. they tell you you've won a holiday, 2. they tell you they need to confirm your identity with your credit card number.

If PayPal had two cents of sense to rub together they wouldn't tell people to verify their accounts with credit card numbers! Nor would they "lock accounts" - have you ever heard of a bank doing that? No, of course not - not without a signed warrant from a Judge or Magistrate (or at the request of the account holder) - banking regulations guarantee your right to access your money - PayPal does not, ditch them.

Your post made no sense, banks do lock accounts, paypal does need your CC #, why would they do fraud with your card? They wouldn't be able to with all the attention.

Problem is, there is no viable alternative to paypal.

And by viable, I mean providing no fewer services, while having no more and no higher fees.

Back