• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Pay per hosting.

AdvertQuick

Hello, most of you might know me, or not, well here I go.

I have a new project, I wanted to start, it's called 'Pay per GB hosting'

What will it mean? well, it means what ever disk space you use up, EG say one month you use 1.50 GB on your hosting, you'll have to pay £1.50 to the host.

So, you have unmeterd hosting, you can use up as much as you want, but you have to pay for the space you use.

Does anybody get where I am coming from, as I think it'll be a good Idea.

Please post Questions below, or PM me.

Thanks,
Nick Cocchiarella.

Its a nice idea , But can be a bit hectic for customers if say they run out of money & dont notce how much the site is using

Would be a nightmare to monitor for charging, and that's hoping the client pays.
Why not setup a billing system, for them, and it'll report back at the end of the month, to tell you how much they have used.

But, when they have first signed up, theres usealy a subscription, on paypal.

so shouldn't it take the money out of your account?

Why not setup a billing system, for them, and it'll report back at the end of the month, to tell you how much they have used.

But, when they have first signed up, theres usealy a subscription, on paypal.

so shouldn't it take the money out of your account?

Subs on PP are for fixed amounts normally, so you'd have to invoice and hope for the best.

Nice idea to have 'Pay As You Go' hosting, just like a mobile phone you have to 'top-up' so best way would be take an amount and when it's nearly run out the user gets a mail to add funds.

Nice idea to have 'Pay As You Go' hosting, just like a mobile phone you have to 'top-up' so best way would be take an amount and when it's nearly run out the user gets a mail to add funds.
Yes,

exacly what I ment, but how would it work out?

User --> website --> billing --> add funds --> 'manager sets up accounts' ---> user uses the hosting for like 2 months without runing out --> user runs out --> user then gets an email from the billing system --> user pays for more diskspace.

That's it, but I don't know of any scripts that can bill like that unfortunately, so you'd have to do it manually. :(

"When it comes to billing time - I would just move as much off as possible, and then pay my bill, then fill it back up."

That's what someone said to me, just posting it.

RockNRabbit hit the nail on the head. Many people will do that. I ran the idea on Revolutionary Host awhile back and it was a huge hit, made alot of money. But it is extremely hectic to keep up with. I was using an open source control panel though that had a script that would keep logs. So I would just use an Excel sheet to auto find the highest number of GB used and charge accordingly :). But again alot of manpower. I however charged a 2.50$ base fee. You might want to consider doing that. If you need help with the program, or want to bounce some ideas, don't be afraid to PM me :).

Just wouldn't work in my opinion. People have to worry about how much electricity, phone minutes, gas they use. Don't need to add hosting to that list.

Most people use well under their specs anyway - only means a loss. Shared hosting only works these days because of overselling.

Its easier to monitor bandwidth and just just charge by how much they use and storage they can just purchase more if they need it. Becuase they can just delete their huge files before their billed so they would pay less and then reupload after.

The way I personally do it, it's a much better idea.

Back