• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Password Book

alley

Social Nutwork
NLC
When I first became interested in becoming a webmaster I started a little black book of all my passwords for all of the various websites I signed up for. Over the years it sort of grew and grew until it was full so I eventually had to update to a bigger address book. Now the bigger book is also getting full.

Is a webmaster's password book kind of like his internet bible? ... will this book eventually be a 3,000 page hard cover book that is all ripped up and stained that I will have displayed on a bookshelf. The book contains great knowledge and answers to questions that only I need to know .. and without this great book I would be lost.

What are we becoming? :confused4 :lol:

Actrually, I started my own book a few days back. I tried to access my asiasoft account (very irritated by this, always failing to login), and realised that I completely forgot my password, secret qn/ans, and PIN number. meaning my account was completely useless. So, I started my own book =D

Just write them on post-its. There's a trick too, put a letter or number somewhere in the password that you know what it is
So if your password was
mklsa93mk
You'd add
mklsa93qmk
Making it useless to anyone who reads it but you - as you know the q (or 3rd char from the right) must be ommited.

Lol Colin, theres a newone.

I am rounding close to 1500 pages worth of details. Thank god my book still lots of room :)

Wow, this is a big no no!

Don't make your own password book. If there is something I learnt from security class this is bad :lol:

Didn't get 80 something percent in the class and not learn that :p

Destroy the book, and don't use post-its!

I just remember everything.
I've only forgotten one password lately but remembered it again the next day.

I'm thinking I should start my own book soon, it's getting hard to remember everything.

yeah stuff, just think what horrible disaster could occur if this great book were to fall in to the hands of the enemy :p

Wow, this is a big no no!

Don't make your own password book. If there is something I learnt from security class this is bad :lol:

Didn't get 80 something percent in the class and not learn that :p

Destroy the book, and don't use post-its!

I use keepass. It generates passwords for you, remembers them and allows you to lock them all up with a master password.

I just email the password database to my gmail when it changes so I always have my passwords no matter where I am, even though I don't know them.

yeah, but knowing me I would forget my master password and then be sol ..haha

I use keepass. It generates passwords for you, remembers them and allows you to lock them all up with a master password.

I just email the password database to my gmail when it changes so I always have my passwords no matter where I am, even though I don't know them.

It also works where you have a USB stick and it checks to see if that stick is connected to the computer, and if it is, then you don't need a master password.

There really is no reason not to use it.

alley said:
yeah stuff, just think what horrible disaster could occur if this great book were to fall in to the hands of the enemy

Glad you're not working in the server management field :)

Back