• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Ownmail & Mydomain

CHR1S

I am going to set up ownmail but my domain's control panel kinda sucks. I can't add the subdomain or set up the mx server like it asks. I am going to use mydomain.com I guess, but how do I move the domain to it? Or is there another way? Can I switch back to my old domain registrar? (registryrocket I think, I signed up through soniqhost.com).

BTW, does anyone have the free version of ownmail on their site? I'd like to see how it looks.

Thanks,
Chris

http://ownmail.com/part.php

Go to the top of this page and click on "Demo".

Choose a name to login as, if that is available it will log you into the mail system for "owntest.com". This is a dummy domain, in production it will be "yourdomainame.com". Here you will be able to see the tools that the administrator is provided to control his email system. Please feel free to upload your logo or change the color scheme as you wish. Most of these options are available under the "administer" button. Try creating other users and delegating rights to them. By distributing administrative rights, OwnMailTM simplifies management.

You can then create an ordinary user without any administrative rights, logout as administor, go to mail.owntest.com and login back as this new user. This will show you what features an ordinary user has. Note that the "administer" button has disappeared from his menu.
Should the demo satisfy you, please sign-up or contact us at helpdesk@ownmail.com for further details.

err... how was the services provide by ownmail.com? i heard lots of free web mail outside there, im one of the person who searching there which are the best, owmmaail.com and bigmailbox.com etc., or setup a php mail scripts, do you have any idea?

So how do I get my domain to work with mydomain.com? Can I just change my dns or do I have to move the domain?

Originally posted by CHR1S
Can I switch back to my old domain registrar? (registryrocket I think, I signed up through soniqhost.com).

Chris, just to clarify, you aren't switching registrars. Mydomain allows you control of the DNS zone for your domain. To use mydomain.com's DNS services, you'd log into your domain at your registrar and modify the nameservers to mydomain.com's

info: http://mydomain.com/move/

Then once this propagates (24-72 hours generally), you'd be able to direct your domain and modify the zone record for the domain, per whatever OWNmail tells you to do. I don't know exactly what you have to do but I'm guessing they don't keep it a secret from you once you sign up or maybe you can find out before by checking the OWNmail site.

Seesm similar to everyone.net (which isn't difficult to set up at all).

Originally posted by roblev
yay! i got my ownmail account to work, i just don't know how to implement signups. Check it out at http://mail.emailserver.com.kg

Login as "admin" and there's a administrator section.
administer -> configuration -> "check the "sign me up link" and then you are ready for new signups.

The best "provide your own email at your domain" service so far! Only one banner at the top, 10mb, fast speed. Free!

Check it!

I am still having problems. I have my nameserver set to mydomain.com's and I know that's working because the subdomain to ownmail is working. Now the rest of my site doesn't work. I went to "IP pointing" and entered the ip for my nameservers and it doesn't work. Does anyone know what the problem is?
Thanks for any help.
-Chris

I went to "IP pointing" and entered the ip for my nameservers and it doesn't work.

This is certainly the problem. Enter the IP of your site here, not your nameservers (you should have two with two IPs so I'm not sure how you managed to enter in *the* IP)???

This is my information:

Primary Name Server: ns1.soniqhost.com
Primary IP Address: 65.51.115.195

Secondary Name Server: ns2.soniqhost.com
Secondary IP Address: 216.194.64.67

Domain: kompyewter.com
http://www.kompyewter.com
IP: 216.234.188.70
User Name: cjohnstone
Password: **********

What do I enter in the IP pointing settings?

This is my information:

Primary Name Server: ns1.soniqhost.com
Primary IP Address: 65.51.115.195

Secondary Name Server: ns2.soniqhost.com
Secondary IP Address: 216.194.64.67

You aren't going to use any of this if you are using mydomain.com to handle DNS.

Domain: kompyewter.com
http://www.kompyewter.com
IP: 216.234.188.70
User Name: cjohnstone
Password: **********

What do I enter in the IP pointing settings?

This may not be a dedicated IP, though depending on how mydomain.com does the IP pointing, it may not matter. Even if your site is hosted on a shared IP (name-based hosting), if this is a true DNS zone file that you are setting up (I can't really tell), then pointing the domain and having an A RECORD for www, pointing to that IP should work.

I'm just not sure how this is all set up on the server you're on (at the host).

Just as a side note, and something that I don't think you've tried (or at least indicated that you've tried), was to leave DNS in the hands of your host (gathering that this is soniqhost.com), and ask *them* to simply modify the zone file for your domain so that you can use Ownmail. I'm sure they would do this and all your troubles would be over, and you wouldn't have to deal with mydomain.com at all.

I am going to set up ownmail but my domain's control panel kinda sucks. I can't add the subdomain or set up the mx server like it asks. I am going to use mydomain.com I guess, but how do I move the domain to it? Or is there another way? Can I switch back to my old domain registrar? (registryrocket I think, I signed up through soniqhost.com).

BTW, does anyone have the free version of ownmail on their site? I'd like to see how it looks.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm using www.domaincow.com for DNS management, for free. in my opinion, better services than mydomain.com.

DNS SERVERS:

COW1.DOMAINCOW.COM (216.38.168.210)
COW2.DOMAINCOW.COM (216.38.168.211)

Good luck,

Dener
Brazil - the Earth's Paradise

My host got the mx record all set, now it can send mail but it can't recieve it. Does anyone have any suggestions?.

Back