• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Overselling

overselling is not a bad thing if done properly

its just that some companies (whose names i will not mention) try and squeeze every penny out of their servers because they have so many customers that they don't really care about 1

i think that who whole concept about selling web hosting in big numbers is wrong and sorry if someone find's this offensive but stupid. You don;t need disc space and bandwidth when you have a web project. At least not in tons of disc space and terabytes of data transfer.

What anyone needs is a service that would allow them to run their website/web business. This means decent uptime, fixed numbers on data transfer and disc space, specific software environment and friendly support that answers promptly to tickets, phone calls, etc.

Any discussion about "unlimited" for $5/mo or 750GB space / 7500 GB transfer is useless and refers to phony offerings.

I sure do hate it, but look at it this way:
You give 1 gb space.
Your competitor offers 1 tb space.
Bye bye non-overseller. You'll get no customers.

Then when they get terminated that company has lost business for life. Same with other oversellers who offer near the same specs. If you went to 4 overselling hosts, all terminated you for using to much resources etc, surely you would realise that it's not possiable and go to a more realiable low cost, low spec host? I know I would.

i think that who whole concept about selling web hosting in big numbers is wrong and sorry if someone find's this offensive but stupid. You don;t need disc space and bandwidth when you have a web project. At least not in tons of disc space and terabytes of data transfer.

What anyone needs is a service that would allow them to run their website/web business. This means decent uptime, fixed numbers on data transfer and disc space, specific software environment and friendly support that answers promptly to tickets, phone calls, etc.

Any discussion about "unlimited" for $5/mo or 750GB space / 7500 GB transfer is useless and refers to phony offerings.

Seriously, here is what I would like to see: hosting geared towards small- and mid-sized businesses that includes Website builder, SEO tools, good email tools (why is this so hard to do???), e-commerce features, and widgets. This hosting would have no hard disk space or bandwidth limits. But - disk space and bandwidth would not be mentioned in marketing. Here's why this would work: SMBs don't care about these two items, and don't even know how much they need anyway. Any site that might require a ton of either item is not going to pick a host that is geared towards SMBs and priced accordingly (remember, a higher-quality service could get $10 or $20 per month per user, maybe much more). In fact, a host such as the one I describe could be so "dumbed down" that abusers couldn't use it - even if they wanted to.

In essence, this would be the creation of a "Web Presence Provider" - not a Web host.

Seriously, here is what I would like to see: hosting geared towards small- and mid-sized businesses that includes Website builder, SEO tools, good email tools (why is this so hard to do???), e-commerce features, and widgets. This hosting would have no hard disk space or bandwidth limits. But - disk space and bandwidth would not be mentioned in marketing. Here's why this would work: SMBs don't care about these two items, and don't even know how much they need anyway. Any site that might require a ton of either item is not going to pick a host that is geared towards SMBs and priced accordingly (remember, a higher-quality service could get $10 or $20 per month per user, maybe much more). In fact, a host such as the one I describe could be so "dumbed down" that abusers couldn't use it - even if they wanted to.

In essence, this would be the creation of a "Web Presence Provider" - not a Web host.
I like people that can think of a solution to a "problem" instead of just whining about it. :classic2:
++++

If I was going to waste time building a "host" it would offer more than just cpanel lol and I would rather do away with HDD/Bandwidth completely.
Infact, I always rather sold shared unmeterd, as I once did with proxy hosting.
It sold better, everyone knew what they got and everyone I hosted was happy!
I only quit because I had to move once my daughter was born..

I had a working system, Offering many different things others wouldn't. Gained many more clients and didnt have to "oversell" to do it.

Same thing applys to what you suggested, I always wanted to get that good and offer a proper email server and things like that.

Last edited:
In hosting world, "cheap" and "big" doesn't co-exist.
Until the time a customer discovers that...it's probably too late. :angel:

These kinds of discussions get into "someone ought to do something about this", and then Pandora opens her box. For example, about 100 years ago the Pharm guys were thrashing it out with wildly varying dosages, levels of quality, etc. Congress finally kicked in a couple of key laws and created the locked situation we know today.

Not only web hosts, but ISP's and beyond, everyone is overselling because there is not yet a hard-written penalty against it. Really, it's just the Truth in Advertising laws, except no one is bothering to enforce them here.

I agree here. Its not only the hosting or internet providers, most of the services are oversold - and not because the customers are demanding more and more for less money. It's more because the technologies let you do it.

If you can have a good and expensive blade with some grid technology you will be able to oversell the world and that's it.

The point is that it is not fair and this is not what the hosting is meant to be. You are service provider and you should be able to meet your customers requirements. But that the hosts do is to put some big numbers on their sites and then, bang....please read our terms of service.

It seems to me that people resigned to receive decent service with added value and just follow the orders and restrictions of the web hosts.
So, what is happening - you are paying to get restrictions.
A service should include only the amount of resources that the money can buy - everything else would be cynical.

Other questions is that there are no regulations and penalties in the hosting world and everyone is doing what they want.

Overselling has become a common habit nowadays. I doubt it can actually be stopped as most new webhosts established nowadays start off with overselling. I too have been a victim of oversellers in the past and I think oversellers are just dishonest people trying to make an easy buck while other honest web hosts out there are struggling to compete with these oversellers.

Simple solution -

Let your clients request more space.

Now you're not overselling and your clients can feel valued.

Can Overselling be discouraged?

Overselling has become a common habit nowadays. I doubt it can actually be stopped as most new webhosts established nowadays start off with overselling. I too have been a victim of oversellers in the past and I think oversellers are just dishonest people trying to make an easy buck while other honest web hosts out there are struggling to compete with these oversellers.

I think the good news is that unlike the ISP world, where having a choice of 2 providers is a luxury, the hosting world has a much more vigorous competition. There are services in other industries that create reference ratings so that if for example someone gets a tag of "oversell" then word would get out.

I think overselling is a touchy topic for some people. And maybe these people come in from search engines so they don't know this is an old topic.

Back