• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Overselling

BVZ

As a victim of overselling (kicked off a host for using "too many resources") and having many friends who were also victims, I dislike it with a burning passion. Whenever I order a hosting plan, I ask the Sales representative how much I actually will be allowed to use before I get kicked off for some BS in the Acceptable Use Policy. What is the point of overselling a server? It's considered harmless business practice because most customers only use a fraction of their alloted amount and because most web hosting customers frankly don't care much. But it still causes problems when someone tries to use the space they have been guaranteed. Because the AUP states that the host can kick someone off at their discretion for overusing, theoretically someone who used 1TB of data at iXWebHosting could stay on while someone who uses 1GB could be cut off from the AUP if the one using 1TB had good standing with the owners or admins. Ridiculous!

The problem is that most customers don't care and look for the most value at eye level (i.e. whichever one offers the most "GB" or "TB", lol) which could explain why a lot of hosting companies give you the amount of space in MB because the number is larger. It could also explain the thousands of cheap hosting companies that offer 1TB of space and 1,000TB bandwidth for $1 and die within a matter of weeks or rarely months because they can't support themselves. Customers come and leave in droves as they realize that they are getting what they paid for.

Would you rather get 25GB of space and 250GB of transfer for $2.95 or 1GB of space and 5GB of bandwidth for $2.95 if the 1GB plan was not oversold and the 25GB plan was heavily oversold? I'd rather the 1GB plan because it is guaranteed. You can still earn profit without overselling...sadly, most customers don't know about overselling, which is why the large companies keep growing and the smaller companies can't use these tactics due to a lack of resources and therefore cannot compete.

I'm hopefully going to be starting a web hosting firm and one of my main goals is not to oversell - ever. The problem is reaching the mass consumer. I don't think that I'm alone in this goal to reach the mass consumer without resorting to undesirable tactics. Therefore, I would like to see what you guys think about overselling, reaching the mass consumer, and other related information.

Do you think that overselling hurts the web hosting business? How do you feel about cheap hosts and large hosts (is there any resentment or are you indifferent)? What's your opinion?

If you are a consumer of hosting - do you look out for overselling hosts?

I completely agree with you. Customers do look at the eye level, which is how overselling hosts are able to gain such a big customer base (And also bad reviews thereafter ;)). There has been a significant amount of companies that have gone 'under' recently and new ones will just keep on popping up.

I do believe it hurts the hosting business, nowadays you seen countless numbers of VPS hosting companies that are starting up and offering VPS servers at very low costs just like the web hosting industry is.

Its a cycle and clients should definitely do a lot of research on their host before signing up (ie: legally registered? how long in business? good or bad reputation? do they have experience?).

Overselling is a disgusting practise, I think if you can't really offer it to the customer, then don't provide it!

I know that I won't ever be able to compete with big companies so I never try to oversell. Small companies can only beat big companies in terms of customer service and more of a personal (1 on 1) support.

But the other thing is, I guess we all get fooled and tricked into these overselling services from time to time. So it's "kind-of" hard to tell for sure for consumers which provider is overselling, and which is not.

Last edited:
Regardless of any earlier comments I've made, I do think overselling is getting ridiculously out of hand. I can only take consolation in the fact that in the next 5 years, major consolidation will happen in the industry, plan specs will come more in line with reality, and prices will rise at least 20% (thereby making hosting a somewhat profitable endeavor again, though regrettably the most for the major players).

Ye, i can see why people do it. But its definetly out of hand, way too many hosts there offering plans that are obviously not economical for them. Unfortunatly 95% of customers dont know any better.
Yes it hurts the business. Especially when those "legit" hosts end up out of business because they cant compete with the over sellers.

As a hosting coordinator myself,
I do see a lot of overselling around. It is getting more and more popular as more and more web hosting business come onto the market.

I fell a victim to overselling about 2 years back when mythichost was hosting me.
I must admit.. their service was out standing; but i was very angry to see an email in my inbox one morning at work stating that mythichost was terminating my account for "over usage".

Thats when i became apart of Host Alpha and the MCW Network.
And my guarantee is never to oversell. We tell it like it is :)

I believe that the ones who offer the oversold hosting do know how to handle that. But is bumbing web hosting market for sure and not good tendency at all... :(

My bet is it was your issue that got you removed from the company,
You prob used your account to store large files, or excepted to be able to use 2000GB of bandwidth running a 100,000 user forum.
9/10 times its the client stupidly expecting the impossible that gets them removed from a host. (See above)
Eitherway,
1TB of space and 1,000TB bandwidth for $1
I agree that would be stupid to do,
Most established oversellers, dont sell for under 9.99/month.. (Cheaper if you pay 2 years ect)
Them hosts are the ones to go with for sites you just want to run, without having to worrie about space and bandwidth,

Also, I would rather be with someone like dreamhost than any host here, I know dreamhost isnt going to die.. I know by the end of the year atleast 20% of the hosts on here will.

Last edited:
But still....
The way i see it is: If it says "150gig Diskspace" for example, You would expect to get that.
Not 5gig.

Same with bandwidth :)

You do get that. They have to give you it, it's just there is no way you can use it by following their terms. You can't host huge files, you can't use it as a file hosting for your personal files, and I doubt you'd have a huge website that is 150GB is size and doesn't go over their minimum resource limits, which is also stated in their TOS.

You don't have to be overselling to offer 150GB of space, because you can, it's just you build up on it over time, just you will loose money. It's a stupid thing to do, but look at how much they make / year, you aren't making that much are you?

LOL, 99% of plans on the internet are oversold...
Even if you are buying 1GB HDD and 20GB Bandwidth for say 5$/month chances are you are still a victim of overselling,
Most big ISP's oversell internet connections data allowance...
And with good reason, No one in there right mind would leave a shared hosting server half full, Under 20% of the accounts on the server will use all the HDD/Bandwidth the other 80 od % do not..

IMO, If you where to leave your server just because you gave all its HDD/Bandwidth away (But no one was using it, You still had 1000GB bandwidth/month out of 2000GB)
You would be insane.

And as for these mega oversellers, at the end of the day it isnt there fault you was stupid enough to think you could run a forum that uses 1000GB/month bandwidth on a shared hosting server.

But with computer power getting stronger and stronger and stronger, one day you will be able too...
Mega Overselling will start to die off as hardware gets better & IT grows..
We keep out doing ourselfs 4:1 each time a new chip is made...
LOL some CPUs are so powerful we cant even fully utilize them with any software/OS's we have.

Last edited:
The main difference between the overselling done by the huge companies and the onces that oversold because of endless efforts to reach the big ones is that the huge overselling companies can handle it, BUT never do. It is easier to continue overselling, attract customers and make profit from them restricting their actions by a silly TOS and refund policies.

There are a lot of victimized people out there and after not more than an year the tendency will be quite different I think. Yes, the prices may go little up because of the quality and customer service but I guess that all those '0's in the offered GBs should also start to disappear.

But this is the way it is - you have no rules - you get what you pay for. In the end this is a market as any other and there are ups and downs in its development. If we continue to see big mergers in the industry - after 2 years probably the hosting business will start to be as good as it was some years back (at least of terms of quality and real offerings).

A.

Almost all plans on the net are oversold. The companies cannot be blamed alone. The customers is also responsible. They just want more and more for less and less. The majority will only buy from the host who is offering the most. So the companies are forced to oversell to get a percentage of the market share. How can you buy a terabyte of space for a couple of bucks? The server on which your site is hosted will most probably have only 500GB max.

Almost all plans on the net are oversold. The companies cannot be blamed alone. The customers is also responsible. They just want more and more for less and less. The majority will only buy from the host who is offering the most. So the companies are forced to oversell to get a percentage of the market share. How can you buy a terabyte of space for a couple of bucks? The server on which your site is hosted will most probably have only 500GB max.

Your reasoning, however right, is also wrong in a few points.

I think webhosts started the trend, then the clients just kept demanding more and more -- because they know that the host cannot say no if they can pick up and move to a different host that offers the same for less.

Its all a strategy run by those who pay for it. If clients will pay for it, then it will continue. The only way the "Reasonable" Offers will come back from "BIG" webhosts, is if the clients get smarter about what they buy.

the most resellers got a limit on it and some of them are allowed to oversell ( i dont need to do that :) ) , but like always , you got 1 problem

the problems starts whit shared hosting , every 1 get 100GB space , and you got only 300GB space in your comp
so after a day ( or longer) the user used the 300GB space

then now the problem start , they need to change the drive and need to replace it whit a other 1 and need to link that drive back to the first 1 so you dont lose data ( a hard job to do )

it is expensive in most cases ( exept if you are a big hoster , or you got lucky that you got a unlimited/unmoitored server :) )

the second reason why they terminate your account when you do overselling is simple to ,
you got a overselled account whit 250GB space ( 500GB shared server) and you use 190GB space
but the owner can use only 200GB space so he need to kick some1 of the server to gain back some space , and most of the times are it the persones whit the less pagevieuws or whit the less space ( they dont pay mutch , the other 1 pays more , so i keep them )

but in some cases , they kick the persone off that use the most (190GB for 1 customer on a 200GB server , thats mutch , kick him and i get a lot more customers )

This is what i think of it :)

Greets from The Crasher

Overselling is not something that can be do away with easily. But the point I believe is not to oversell to much. Or to reduce overselling to as low a level as possible to protect our clients.

At least that is what I believe.

VPS's are starting to overtake Shared hosts anyway, how many people do you know that run a site on a shared, get cut off and move to a VPS then dedicated because of their sheer size?

Only noobies to hosting, or small personal sites that don't plan on getting big (or most cheap) people use shared hosts (Even after out growing) will continue to use a overselling host.

Hi!
VPS's will never overtake shared hosting..it's not happening..and it's not going to happen. Here's why: Latency

I'm not going to argue this...because it's a waste of time. Truth is truth.

Fact: VPS's make very lousy webservers..even without Cpanel.

>>>Don't get me wrong..I love vps's. In fact..I have a bunch of 'em. They are great for nameservers..and experienting around with..and I have had 5 web servers running on one..one ip..all different ports..80,81,82,83 & 84.

Production web servers are best on dedi's..period.

Now..back on topic: overselling is a mistake. Just don't do it. I don't.

Bryon

Last edited:
Back