• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

OverHeatijng !!

ExoWorks

Hello,

I have a PIV 1.6 Ghz Processor and I have over heating issues with both processor and cpu.

Box temperature is 32 idle and processor is 33 - 34 idle.

When i run a game the processor's temperatures raises to 41-43, (in about 30 min of play, before 30 min it remains like 40-41).
And the cpu temperature rises to 38.

I bought a new processor fan along with heatsink and it had the black thermal grease(from intel) on it. I put it over on the white color thermal interface i had but it didn't affect. So i guess its not due to the fan.

My old fan speed was like 2500 rpm and the new one runs at 3,150 rpm. I also bought a new case which allows easy flow of air.

The room temperature goes no more than 32 degree.

I can't get any other thermal stuff other than intel, so please dont recommend other brands.

BTW, I have one extra case cooling fan.

I also want to know what are the variable fans ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

40 Degrees is fine for a processor, once they get up into the high 60's constantly you better worry. AMD rates their processors up to like 90 degrees, and Intel is near the same. 40 degrees is fine.

First of all, take the heatsink off and clean both the cpu and the bottom of the heatsink off. Remove all of the thermal goo with some rubbing alcohol. Carefully apply some new, and then reseat the heatsink. You should NEVER replace a heatsink on the same thermal interface material. Always use fresh.

Secondly, P4s can run safely up to 55°C anyway, so I don't see what the problem is. If a P4 starts to get too hot, it will throttle it's speed down automatically so it's impossible for one to overheat.

I'd consider it an achievement for my CPU to be running as low as 30 idle :classic2: My AMD Athalon XP 2200+ frequently idles at over 50C. I've only got one case fan though, I need another one...

That's no comparison though... AMDs are going to run much warmer. A few days last week when it was rather hot here, my 1700+ idled at 68°C and up to as much as 74°C at load.

P4s won't take that kind of heat. If your P4 is constantly running higher than 40-45°C then you really have some problems.

Thanks Guys, but well, the system temperature being 38 is more than the recommended range i guess. A software that came with the intel mainboard suggests it to be lower than 38.

Anything I can do to keep the CPU cool ?

Thanks for any reply..

The number one cause of CPU overheating is dust in the heat sink. Normally, I would recommend getting some canned air and blowing it out, but since you said you have replaced the heatsink/fan assembly, I guess we can rule that out.

The number two cause is the heat sink compound... As Bruce pointed out... NEVER install a heat sink with thermal transfer compound over old compound... Remove the old compound thoroughly before applying new. A popular misconception is the the heatsink compound actually aids in heat dissapation. This is not exactly true.
The purpose of the heat sink compound is to provide extra surface area between the chip, and the heat sink.
CPU's and heat sinks are somewhat rough on their surfaces, and heat is only transferred efficiently at solid contact points. The heatsink compound is a thermally conductive material that is intended to fill the very small gaps between the two surfaces, however, it is not as good at conducting heat as direct surface to surface contact.
It also tends to dry out and harden with age. If left undisturbed, this is not a problem, but when you replace the heat sink and leave the old compound in place, you actually create more space between the CPU and the heat sink, reducing cooling efficiency.
So your best bet, is remove the heatsink, clean the surfaces, re-apply the heat sink compound (little known fact... Diaper rash ointments based on zinc oxide make very good heat sink compound :p ) and see what you get.

Meanwhile...
The room temperature goes no more than 32 degree.

When i run a game the processor's temperatures raises to 41-43, (in about 30 min of play, before 30 min it remains like 40-41).
And the cpu temperature rises to 38.

A rise of 10 degrees above ambient is practically negligable... I wouldn't even consider it to be noteworthy.

Back