• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Over selling hosts - The List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dream Host are not good and I can vouch for that. I am not in the game of knocking down host providers but I do have to say that one of their clients moved to me recently because he was sick of the downtime and the bad support.
I asked him how much he was paying at DH and what he got for his money. His reply "I pay 120 USD a year and they give me 20 GB of Disc Space and 250 GB of Transfer..." He explained that he didn't need it.
My reply to him was "No wonder your site is going down every few hours."
Last year was a bad year for DreamHost. Most years are never like that, read there blog, can't remember the URL, things have been much smoother lately.

Moreover, overselling hosts (extreme) disturbs or spoils the reputation of such communities (FWS, WHT, etc). Thats because the buyer doesn't realize that the company (fraud) ditched him/her but they see it as the entire community cheated them.

I have seen a lot of people like this. They blame the community rather than the scamming host.

Overselling is just a business strategy, do it correctly, and nobody will suffer, both parties will gain from it.

My servers work out at about 3 cents per 1GB of bandwidth and about 31 cents per GB disk space. I sell the hosting at about five times what it costs, yet I am sure that if i offered 100GB bandwidth for 3 dollars (which i could support even if every last MB was used) i would be accused of overselling.

Do you agree?

But what of say an ISP also provides Web Hosting at such prices around $8 per month with 2tb of storage and bandwidth? or even unlimited bandwidth since they provide it themselves.

Just a random thought crossed my mind...

Some of overseller hosters are pritty good, but I if to be honest I have never used more than hoster offer (I mean overseller offers)

Even an ISP cant provide unlimited Bandwidth, it still costs them money, and if the chain of profitablitily is broken , its only so long until the money runs out ( therefore they couldnt afford to offer REAL unlimited) I dont think you undestand unlimited , it means INFINITE, it means that no matter how much bandwidth you used ( even if you used as much as the rst of the active internet put together ) there would always be more waiting,

Im just curious as to your logic because why wouldnt a ISP be able to provide unmetered bandwidth. Qwest is one of the midwest largest providers for both home and business including DCs. And one of our suppliers for the company i work for. And i have never heard of our DC only being able to pass x amount of data per day.

thanx for the explanation. so its pretty much just selling what you have even though you know they are not going to use it.

Or more like selling what you don't have hoping they wont use it but planning to upgrade if theres enough money to cover it up. Yes.

Xtreme, it's like electricity. You (ISP) can use as much as you want, but you (ISP) make someone pay for it. They won't cut you off because you used 760kW (760TB). They'll send a bill.

Selling between 10% to 20% over the servers resources wouldn't cause much of a problem if any problems at all. But many of the larger hosts tend to sell 50% to 100% more than their servers can handle which is going to cause serious problems.

yeah , and he didnt say unmetered ( their are plenty who can keep that promise) but eventually your bound to run out of cash, even google couldnt offer unlimited hosting, even if they had a data center every square Km of the planet, and a few hundred on the moon, they wouldnt be able to offer unlimited.

Its just not possible . but i can see where its confusing :) thanks for the comment

I agree that about 10% is still a reasonable amount. The server is not overcrowded, is fast and in good health :)

Reselling is not necessarily a bad thing, if it is done correctly it can work..

however anyone selling unlimited space or bandwidth cannot supply what they are offering..

thats all it is at the end of the day, if the company is able to supply what they are offering there is no problem.

I oversell, but I can supply my customers with what they purchase.
and thats the difference..

find the bigger hosting companies and look at their plans, they all oversell. they are still going strong, they are still making money and more to the point they are stable and secure, them overselling does not interrupt your hosting account. its when a company cannot support what they are selling, and the stability of the server pays the price and causes downtimes etc..

get reviews before you judge a host on being a reseller alone.

Reselling is not necessarily a bad thing, if it is done correctly it can work..

however anyone selling unlimited space or bandwidth cannot supply what they are offering..

thats all it is at the end of the day, if the company is able to supply what they are offering there is no problem.

I oversell, but I can supply my customers with what they purchase.
and thats the difference..

find the bigger hosting companies and look at their plans, they all oversell. they are still going strong, they are still making money and more to the point they are stable and secure, them overselling does not interrupt your hosting account. its when a company cannot support what they are selling, and the stability of the server pays the price and causes downtimes etc..

get reviews before you judge a host on being a reseller alone.

Ha ha, good to see you know what you're talking about :p\

I think hosts who resell are great, it's the ones that oversell and don't even use correct terms that are a problem. So are you telling me hostgator actually have those 300GB shared accounts?And can supply 300Gb per person. It's false advertising and it's only a matter of time before the law catches up. You wouldn't sell someone infinite beef burgers would you? Hosting is the same as all-you-can eat, when you eat too much you get kicked out.

I just checked your page and you seem to offer 500GB b/w for $12 lmao, and you dont even know what reseller means. :rolleyes:

Add the above bloke to this list

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back