• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Over selling hosts - The List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys for my host, lets say i had a 160 GB hard drive , would i be OVER over selling to say i offered 250 accounts at 1gb each ( or maybe not say, just offer and stop package at maximum capacity )???

Im just trying to get a feel of where the boundries are here :)

it would be easier to make a list of people that do NOT oversell. The list could go on for 10's of thousands of hosts.

everyone does it, accept it, move on

Um... so my question ?? i think the debate should be more on trying to identify a slightly, more stable set of boundries and limits, as this would better the webhosting community world wide, you should have say the webhosting standards site, and then you could place your seal of approval on pages and stuff, i know this has been done im just saying

5gb of space could hold 100's of quality websites, the fact people offer 10GB or more is insane, obviously people won't upload 10gb of files.

God this one could go on forever, they exist - work it out for yourselves - easy really :)

I am setting up a site - www.webhostingstandards.com, i will make a logo that you can put on your site if your hosting company conforms to certain standards (which i have not made yet - anyone got any ideas - post them). Hopefuly this can be the first step to removing scams from the hosting industry.
I need some ideas for standards.

so is hostdepartment good or not? i have good experience with it, though i ´m not overusing their resources just the bandwitch ;-)

Word on the street is that Hostdepartment sucks. Really sucks. The opposite is true for Hostingdepartment

Just a note, many hosts do not oversell, but many of those that do are responsible about it. It's companies like Dreamhost that I can't stand.

I think we should get accounts on oversellers who say they don't oversell and use the account to the absolute maximum bandwidth and storage wise (can be done simultaneously if there is SSH or FXP access).

Once you get server errors after like 100 megabytes, then we will see who is right about "Oh, what is wrong with overselling".

If they keep their word, as they said they don't oversell, then they can simply just go bankrupt.

I think we should get accounts on oversellers who say they don't oversell and use the account to the absolute maximum bandwidth and storage wise (can be done simultaneously if there is SSH or FXP access).

Once you get server errors after like 100 megabytes, then we will see who is right about "Oh, what is wrong with overselling".
.......? I get your motive, but what about that question?

If they keep their word, as they said they don't oversell, then they can simply just go bankrupt.
If they kept their word, then why are they going bankrupt?

The point is if overselling is done correctly it can do no harm.

If one oversells and they get full on one server they can expand to 2 servers and move people over as needed moving clients who use more resources to a newer server and allocate space for them and let them have all of their space if needed.

If they kept their word, then why are they going bankrupt?

Let me explain it:

If they kept their word (with regards to the bandwidth and storage alone), they would be making a LOSS. Sure, one account might not do it, but for maybe a couple hundred dollars' worth of accounts, it would!

You can't possibly tell me they can offer 999 gigabytes transfer for 2 Dollars legitimately as their word! It's simply not possible. So what does that mean? It means that they would make a loss if they actually do keep up to their word. Simple.

Sad truth is it won't ever happen though.

Best wishes
RavenServers

I am setting up a site - www.webhostingstandards.com, i will make a logo that you can put on your site if your hosting company conforms to certain standards (which i have not made yet - anyone got any ideas - post them). Hopefuly this can be the first step to removing scams from the hosting industry.
I need some ideas for standards.

You mean something like this

http://www.hostingassured.findmyhosting.com/

As you can see, that doesn't stand up. It's an idea thats crossed my mind a few times. I have too much on now though.

Let me explain it:

If they kept their word (with regards to the bandwidth and storage alone), they would be making a LOSS. Sure, one account might not do it, but for maybe a couple hundred dollars' worth of accounts, it would!

You can't possibly tell me they can offer 999 gigabytes transfer for 2 Dollars legitimately as their word! It's simply not possible. So what does that mean? It means that they would make a loss if they actually do keep up to their word. Simple.

Sad truth is it won't ever happen though.

Best wishes
RavenServers
Oh, I thought you were referring to all hosts who claim they don't oversell, not the ones that obviously do and then claim they don't.

Dreamhost could be added to the list.

Now that statement I object to. You actually can use your entire allotted disk space and bandwidth. Been there, done that. Overselling isn't bad if it's done right, which recently DreamHost has started doing correctly again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back