• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Opera Browser- The next generation?

dn52002

Opera 5 is cool!

I think people should try the new Opera 5 browser. Apparently, it is the only browser which respects the most the W3C HTML regulation, which mean your page is viewed as it should be viewed.

http://www.opera.com

IMHO, it is the best browser out there yet.

[Edited by dn52002 on 01-28-2001 at 01:23 AM]

It's pretty good, except you gotta pay to get those damn ads removed.

But IE beats it with more features, and the text is kinda screwed up with Opera. Maybe it's just me....

M$ iE

I actually found more features in Opera:
- build-in email software, build-in ICQ protocol which can be run in the browser itself

- zoom mode to zoom in/out pictures of your grandmother, news browser

- you can make a direct search to google from within the browser

- the ability to open multiple pages from within one browser windows, I hate to have a dozen of browser on my taskbar

- built-in transfer protocol like Getright or Gozilla, you can download a big file, stop for a rewhile and resume where you left!

...geez, there're plenty of features and I think most of the features in iE are in Opera if not all! and with a footprint of only 2mb compared to iE 34mb I think?

Well, if you like features like connectivity to M$ Excel, ActiveX, M$ Word or others M$ stuff, iE is your way.
I used to use Netscape but I think it crashes under javascript one too many times so here I have, Opera! everything works great, even icq! and the add bar is small, fast and clean - Well look at it this way:

1.Use iE and help M$ makes even more $ so they can "We are the M$, resistance is futile, you will be taken-over"

or

2.Helps a little company release quality bug-free products!

But no, my mind is not blurred with by hatred for M$, I just prefer quality software over buggy ones.

[Edited by dn52002 on 01-28-2001 at 04:46 AM]

Size isn't as much of an issue with IE now, since if you have anything from Win98 on, it's part of your OS already.

IE5 and NS6 both handle W3C HTML/CSS better, and IE5 is much faster.

I don't think it's possible to design a UI much worse than Opera.

I use it when going through download.com. When I am donwloading cause I turn off the images and just the text loads. I know you can do this with others but I find it easier on Opera because the button's right there.

I just got it (using it right now) . It's pretty good. Fast, easy, and my computer doesn't stop responding a couple seconds everytime I open it, like when I use IE 5.5 . The ad banner isn't bad because you can choose what kind ads it displays.

Neoplanet is just a facelift for your old browser, it is not actually a browser in itself. It slows down iExplorer even more with the fancy bmp skin.

I actually really like the UI, I am going to try to install it on my linux machine, if it works well I might plan to buy it.

Yeah, I tried Neoplanet too. It is a lot slower because of the skins. I am still liking Opera though. I like how it opens all windows under it's own. This means when you close the top window, all your open pages close. You can set it so all the pages open when you closed it open the next time you start it up.

I really like Opera and Netscape, the only reason I use IE more is because it has all my cookies and logins saved :p. Is there a program that can convert them to other browsers?

heh

Opera is the next generation browser?
Not

1. It doesnt display the webpages right on some professional website.

2. Its not free

3. It has less features than Nestcape and IE

Support a little company? That may explain why you think Opera is good. In my opinon Mozilla and IE are the best browsers out there.

By the way NeoPlanet is jsut an addon to your browser. Its very buggy, you might wanna try NetCaptor.com

Cookies

"the only reason I use IE more is because it has all my cookies and logins saved"

Eww, cookies, I hate them...especially when they contain the three dreaded X :)

Re: M$ iE

Originally posted by dn52002
1.Use iE and help M$ makes even more $ so they can "We are the M$, resistance is futile, you will be taken-over"
Uhh.... am I missing something here? Isn't IE free? :confused:

What I meant by "features" are like, those colored scrollbars - useless, nevertheless cool. :D

I use Opera to download things and see stuff sized up (it's pretty fun if you're bored, you see things like you never had before :p), but I don't look at grandmas.

Re: heh

Originally posted by AlabamaMan
1. It doesnt display the webpages right on some professional website.

You mean it doesn't show pages the Micro$haft way, or do you really mean that it ****s some websites? I'd like to see one it messed up.

I've had some problems viewing my site in Opera. I guess the design wasn't perfect HTML. Also, on some sites with black backgrounds, for some reason text doesn't show up. It's kind of messed up that way. I haven't seen any sites that are REALLY messed. Tripod was a little screwed, but that's about it.

Originally posted by Nick
I really like Opera and Netscape, the only reason I use IE more is because it has all my cookies and logins saved :p. Is there a program that can convert them to other browsers?

No programs....but try Gator.

I've got it and its great!!!! Fills in forms and passwords and that stuff.....

http://www.gator.com

Yeah, gator is good. But it doesn't work for Opera and I'm not sure about NS. They need a new version which will work in opera.

But me stoopid. I use one of my handfull of passwords for diff services. I don't use the same info all the time :p.

Gator remembers different login names and passwords for different sites.
Let's say your Yahoo!ID is 'dog' and your password is 'god', and your Hotmail membername is 'cat' and password is 'bark', Gator will remember all that for you. So, when you get to mail.yahoo.com Gator pops up and asks if you want to fill in 'dog' and 'god' (password is censored), and hotmail.com is, of course, 'cat' and 'bark'. "Smart" AI, I say... *lol*

Back