• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

One thing on these boards really pisses me off.... (To Peo)

Nick

NLC
Is it possible to PLEASE have the messages stay on the same line? That whole thing where new messages float to the top is a PAIN IN THE ASS! I have to read each thread title to see which ones I haven't read...

The old boards are starting to seem a lot better in every way except speed....

That is my only prob. with this board. Can you make it so that the posts are in order. And I think I saw some thing about that they are a diffrent color or some thing when there are new messages, if so there is no real reason for them to move.

Yes, there is a system. If you look at the very left column either at the main forums display ( http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/ ), or within any of the forums, you will either see one of three boxes:

grey: nothing that you haven't read already
yellow: something new posted
red: hot topic, something new posted

The posts *are* in order, but a different order than before. vBulletin brings them to the top so that *active* threads are listed first, and the ones that you've read/people have stopped commenting on drop slowly downward. This is similar to how the old board worked (new posts appeared at the top), but with the added benefit of bringing posts at the bottom up so you can see them easier.

Good answer by Chicken. I agree with you.

Having the threads ordered after which thread was last started regardless of what happens after the initial post of each thread has been posted, is not really all that logic if you think about it. That is why the creators of this and similar forums have choosen to have the threads with the latest posts at the top. It encourages discussions, since the active and interesting discussions will be moved up.

But yes, it's a new system and it sometimes takes time to get used to new things.

To the best of my knowledge it's not possible to change the forum to have it display the threads like the old board did. And besides I think this solution is better.

I think this forum is a much needed improvement to FWS.net And as Peo pointed out it is much more logical to have a thread w/ a new post be bumped to the top of the list rather than have to scroll all the way down to read new posts. Just play around with the forums for a week and get used to the new style. If you post on popular messages boards around the net, they pretty much all use board similar to these, if not the same.

Back