• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

NS 7 and HTML problem

agnieszka

hey,

having had made an ordered list (<ol>), and then having had anchored some of the text in that list using the <a> tag, NS 7 buts a line break after i close the anchor (</a>). this is really weird. can anyone tell me why it's doing that? it works fine in IE 5.5, IE 6, NS 4.x...

i'll upload it for people to see...

http://www.agspage.filetap.com/school/rocca.htm

thanks.

<a name="001"><li></a>Subject makes...

That should be just

<a name="001"><li>Subject makes...

...or if you prefer

<a name="001"/><li>Subject makes...

Same goes for all of them.

yes, i've tried that, what happens in that case is that the next closing anchor tag in the sentence forces a line break. that is, i have links in the sentences that are listed by numerical order, and instead of:

1. text text text link text
2. text text text text text link
3. text link text text text

NS 7 renders it as:

text text text link text
text text text text text link
text link text text text

when i did what you have since suggested, this occurs instead:

1. text text text
link text
2. text text text text text
link
3. text
link text text text

sorry, i don't have that version uploaded, but i narrowed the problem to being a closing anchor tag. this does not happen on another page that i have also listed in numerical order with following anchored text, but i can't find any difference between what i've done there and here. though NS 7 consistently does what i've described above.

this problem did not occur in IE5.5, IE5, NS 4.08. ( i haven't tried others)

thanks for looking, though i assure you i have been thorough in my investigations and i can't figure it out.

They are all broken.

You have kind of a double error. An anchor cannot contain a list item and even if it could you can't put only an element's start tag within another element the way you have done.

Link the first word or the first few words.
<li><a name="001">Subject</a>.... </li> (the closing tag is there either you write it out or not)

Back