• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

New member - please critique my art site!

KarenArt

Hello everyone! This is my first visit here.

I have an educational art site that I need critiqued. http://CPchallenge.com
I have worked on it for some time now, but I'm too close to it to see what the problems are.

I want to try to make it beautiful as well as instructional.

Please rip it apart and tell me anything that you think would help make it better.
I do realize that a few of the graphics are large... I'm trying to find the perfect balance between highly optomized (small) images and the photo quality that the artists at the site ask for.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.
Karen Cardinal

wow thats a really nice looking site

The Color Pencil Challenge and site design are Copyright ©2000 Karen Cardinal.
Please do not use any material from this site without express permission.

the only thing i could see that i would change is make it express written permission

Thanks zazoo

I didn't even think of that.
I think you're right. I'm going to add written.

Now come on everyone.... please be harsh and give me suggestions for improvements (I can take it. I'm tough) :)

I KNOW there is no such thing as a "perfect" website, so what can be made better?

btw: The name is a redirect (through DirectNic).
the long URL is:
http://gallery.passion4art.com/members/challenge/index.html
(in case you want to view the source code)

Thanks for the input!
I hope to get more.
Karen

It's not much to say. I think it's very good. The style of the site match the subject perfectly, navigation is clear.

One small thing since you are set on getting some criticism - the background on the logo doesn't match the page background exactly. I don't think anyone will notice if they don't scrutinies the page.

I forwarded the link to an retired art teacher that I tried to help to learn HTML last winter since she wants to put some students work on the web. She is an extremely stubborn lady that sees any order as a threat to her artistic freedom. Maybe she can learn more from you than from me. I know she will love your site.

BTW - welcome to the board! :)

Last edited:
You are too kind!

the background on the logo doesn't match the page background exactly.

Aaaaarrrrrggggg! the horrors of the textured background. I've redone that one twice, but it insists on being just a little off.
I see it everytime I look at the page.

I'd use transparent gifs for all of them, but I seem to have this thing for drop shadows. :)

Well... my husband just got a new computer (G4 Mac) and it will actually run Photoshop 6.... so as soon as he goes to work tomorrow, I know what I'll be using to create my text. :D (I understand it's killer at text manipulation)

I did learn something valuable with this site...
textured backgrounds may be wonderful (as long as they're subltle), but it is a pain to match exactly. (of course with nearly 200 pages and god knows how many links and buttons using that background... I'm sticking with it)

My next site I'm working on is going to be on a WHITE background. :)

Thanks for the compliment and forwarding my link.
I'd love to hear from another artist on their veiw of the site.

Ok, my hand is cramping up now.
Thanks again!
Karen

The site is well laid out, but simple. Nothing wrong with simple, especially since your site has a lot of good content.

Some suggestions: Maybe a navbar instead of the images to the side, and maybe something with the background. A solid colour might work better than the texture you have.

An image for "join the exchange" may be more effective than the large text you are currently using.good job :)

Simple is good, yup. Sometimes being too fancy is horrible.

I can't pick out any major problems, and I don't think there are any minor errors either.

One thing, though. You might want to try to use more than just one font type for your images (the ones with the dropshadows and stuff) and see what happens.

Thanks so much for all the great advice

I am looking forward to playing around with Photoshop 6 and seeing what I can come up with for text images... hee hee.

I like the idea of trying a little variation with my fonts, although I do want the fonts on the title images to all be the same (maybe that's just me).

I've done a little practice images with designing a nav bar. That could be a cool look, it would just take me a while to do something I'd be happy with.

As far as the background....
I wish I knew when I designed the site what I know now. It would have definately been a solid color.
I may be able to change it one day, I just have soooooo many pages and links to change that it will take some time to do.

Thanks again for the great advice!

I know there's always room for improvement in a site. :)

Karen

:) I had to bring this to top. I was checking out old posts an took a look at Karen's site again. Seems like she did try PS6 out. The site looks so pretty I wanted you too see it.

Karen, if you are still around you've done a great job. Your site is lovely.

Gosh... thank you so much meow and pro5ject!

I have been putting together a site for the art group I am in, so I haven't been around the boards for the last few days.
What a nice surprise to come back to. :)

btw: the site is at:
http://gallery.passion4art.com/members/groupshow/index.html if you want to see it.
I'm going to add a couple new pages to the site, and the only artist' page that is linked to the thumbnail right now is mine, but essentially this is what the site will be.

Now I have another artist who is asking for help putting his site together.
I'm never going to find the time to draw again... aaahhhh :)
I do enjoy this medium of expression though (creating websites). I just hope I am doing it right and not just creating a mess.

Thanks again for the compliments...
They are much appreciated!
Karen

I meant to ask what fonts you have used for the headings and links on the main page. Are they free and do you know where one can get them?

I've been using a font called "Snooty" for my headers and large type links.
(I use Arial for smaller type... it's the only one I can read in a small font)

I wish I could tell you where I got it (it's been so many years ago) but knowing me, it had to be a free resource, so if you check around I'm sure you will be able to find it.

Thanks again
Karen

Found the Snooty font!

Sorry it took me a little while (trying to do 50 things at once).

I found a place to download the Snooty font (along with some other beautiful fonts.
The url is:
http://www.themeworld.com/fonts/script1.shtml

I didn't download the fonts myself from there, so I don't know if you have to be registered or anything (although it didn't look like it).

I hope you find something you like.

Karen

Awesome Website.... Great Graphics, easy to read, and navigate.

Keep up the great work.

HGW - " Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder "

Back