• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

netscape or explorer

drkhk

i am sick and tired of trying to make my site compatible with netscape 6. why can't these people agree on one standard HTML.

It's not too much about HTML itself but the browsers parser engine. IE and Netscape parse the HTML pages differently and so they are bound to render them differently.

I personally prefer IE 5.x though. It's stable and supports a whole lot of interactive features.

Go Opera 5!!! It's by far faster than IE 5.5. The only problem with it is some things are a little different. It's the fault of bad coding though, not a bad browser. For example, pretty much all images on datablocks look weird it it. No idea why, it's strange though. Plus, I use Opera because IE isn't working too well anymore. Only about half the pictures load on pages. It can be quite annoying.

Stragely IE is pretty much the only program that I HAVENT had a problem with on my computer.

Originally posted by drkhk
i am sick and tired of trying to make my site compatible with netscape 6.
Netscape 6 strictly adheres with HTML standards. If your page does not display correctly in Netscape 6, your HTML coding is wrong.

Whenever I design a page in IE 5.x 99% of it looks thesame in Netscape 6. Actually, its almost identical. What I hate designing is for Netscape 4.x (terrible CSS supoort). It's easy designing pages for Netscape 6.

It doesn't mean you are coding incorrectly if your web page does not correctly display in Netscape 6, it just parses differently than IE.

Regards,

Originally posted by ashben
I personally prefer IE 5.x though. It's stable and supports a whole lot of interactive features. [/B]
I beg your pardon?!

Opera's okay, the main reason I don't like it is because the browser itself is too cluttered for my liking, and you can't move it around like you can in IE. Oh, yeah, it's also adware, so there's another fifty points from Opera.

Just how bad (good) is Netscape 6? I've heard so many different opinions of it, it's confusing me (and scaring me too, so I didn't dare download and try it out for myself).

Personally, I've rarely run into problems with IE5, so I say its stable! One thing is for sure, IE's page download and rendering speed is much much better that Netscape although Opera beats any other browser in this respect.

BTW, wait till you see this: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/

Something else I like in Opera...

It's really easy to forwards cand backwards. By holding the right click button down then left clicking, you go back, and holding left click and right clicking, you go forwards. For those with "the big O", try it. It makes for even speedier browsing.

I prefer Netscape. IE is slow and a pain in the butt... Opera is a little too prehistoric almost for me lol.. plus the ads. Oh.. That new netscape is @#$*%^@!~ Buggy, weird look, slow, ads... I'm sticking to NS 4.6/7 until I can find myself a better browser than what I have lol.

Well, i prefer IE 5.

Heard some bad stuff about IE 5.5... Dunno why, but heck, IE 5 is working so why try and screw that up...

Netscape 4.7 seems to be doing mostly fine. Doesn't support all the java and javascript, but sometimes that's a good thing...

Opera 4.02 is... Well it's faster, but it can't do half the stuff...

Netscape 6... Well they did something wrong. Maybe it's just me, but it crashes quite often (especially when dealing with java,...), it loads slow (even a simple ''new window'' is slow, sometimes popups make it crash too). Also, i've seen several sites saying ''Not compatible with Netscape 6'', for some reason.

On the other hand, even though IE's working best for me, i'd rather support Netscape, since... Well there's no IE for Linux... But Netscape's been supporting Linux since... Well not the start, but not too long after the start either :)

Originally posted by Cheap Bastard
Opera 4.02 is... Well it's faster, but it can't do half the stuff...

Well try Opera 5 then. It can handle pretty much anything IE can(except maybe css-altered scroll bars, and not sure about iframes). IE is too slow and unstable for me. And another feature I like in Opera is you can set it to open the same windows you had open when you closed it. Comes in handy when damn windows crashes.

errr

... I'm not sure... Heck, why not. Anything to break the Microsoft monopoly and spurr free trade.

Where do i get Opera again?

Opera is great, (hate the name though) it's FAST, and coded from the ground up.

I think you can download it at http://www.opera.com

Another great browser is HotJava... java-based so it's slow, but I like it.

One of the (very few) things I envy about Linux is the amount of available browsers. Konquerer, Jozilla, Jazilla,
Arena, Lynx, Links, ect.

Of course, you can always go Mosaic. hehe

Neoplanet!! :D :D :D

IE 5.0 here, never decided to update :)

I downloaded NS 6.0 and it appears my computer doesn't like it. Everytime I tried installing it, my computer frozed. Oh well.... looks like I'm not missing much... never was a real NS fan ;)

On a PC I´d suggest IE5 upwards, cause it interprets HTML perfectly and is fast and reliable too (im most cases).
On a mac I´d say you should use Netscape, dunno why, but those Microsoft Developers don´t care a lot about Mac Users.

However, Opera maybe faster than the others but that is only because it skips a lot of scriptings and/or HTML Tags and so doesn´t load the whole code periodically
(just think about layers or proper visualisation of style sheets).
And I refuse to believe that people use Opera just because of this lil speed performance, cause then you could even go back to the roots and use Lynx or previous Mosaic Versions ;)

No, honestly, you should go with IE, there you can´t do anything wrong, and you can trust me, I´m a webdeveloper for several years now and I know what I´m talking about ;)

Originally posted by BiteTheBugByte

On a mac I´d say you should use Netscape, dunno why, but those Microsoft Developers don´t care a lot about Mac Users.

I'm glad someone else notices this too! I use IE, just because I trust MS stuff. People are going to yell at me for saying that. Please don't yell at me. :)

I'll let someone else so the yelling...

Anyways, Opera works fine for most sites. And I don't think "skips a lot of scriptings and/or HTML Tags". Some pages don't load quite correctly simply because of bad scripting, not bad rendering. Some CSS tags like customized scroll bars don't show up in Opera, but that's about all I've noticed. And the speed is pretty much twice as fast as IE. I'm still sticking to Opera.

Originally posted by Canuckkev
... Some CSS tags like customized scroll bars don't show up in Opera, ...

That's odd... I thought one of Opera's features was that it was the browser that best followed CSS incorporation... Even got noted for that by the W3C...

Back