• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Netfirms or Freeservers?

jiminsd

Because of the pop-unders that VirtualAve is starting to put on my site that has in-line banners I think its time to move. I need a stable, fairly fast domain host with ftp, cgi ability to run forms and no pop-ups (banners are fine). This is a small site and space is minimal. Freeservers and Netfirms come to mind. Any experiences, thoughts, suggestions or any others?

Netfirms is the exact same as VirtualAve in terms of pop-up ads except VirtualAve's are MUCH bigger.

Well, the size of pop-ups don't really matter that much - it's still a pop-up, and it's still going to be ignored by visitors. It also pisses 'em off.

Hmmm...

Regarding Netfirms and not having banners, the site says: "all our Netfirms services are provided absolutely free of charge. Our costs are covered through advertising revenue which means a banner is neatly placed at the top of all your pages automatically." So, do they have pop-ups only or is there a banner option offered?

Freeservers site says they offer a form e-mailer and that will do for my need instead of a cgi.

Maybe I will order them both up and try them before the domain get's moved for a few days.

Which one seems more stable and faster?

jiminsd: They have an automatic inline ad that's placed at the top and there're also pop-up ads.

LeX: The size of the pop-up ad may not matter to you but the fact that VirtualAve's pop-up ad is almost twice as big as Netfirms' might influence someone else's choice.

Thanks Aaron for the clarification. That's what I'm trying to get away from at VirtualAve.

Another option is 50megs but I haven't heard much about them from anyone lately.

[Edited by jiminsd on 04-27-2001 at 06:57 PM]

Have you tried Spaceports? There not so bad, never did get one of my CGI accounts to work though, I you do, just a fare warning, place the banner code on the pages or you may get a pop-up.

I did look at them but I need a domain host (for the spiders) not a redirect to a subdomain. The site is listed quite well with the search engines. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone have experience with FreeWebSites.com? I just started to look at them. 50megs looks like a bust... they wouldn't take a domain name on their input form.

Originally posted by jiminsd
Thanks Aaron for the clarification. That's what I'm trying to get away from at VirtualAve.

Another option is 50megs but I haven't heard much about them from anyone lately.

[Edited by jiminsd on 04-27-2001 at 06:57 PM]
do not use 50megs.
coz they are slow.

Back