• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need your suggestion on MixCat.com Search Engine

TryUsOut

Would like to hear some feedback on the design, layout and search functionality of our site http://www.mixcat.com

We are currently having thoughts of renovating the home page and would like to hear some suggestions.

Thanks in advance ;)

A new search site!

Hmm. I see an attempt "to keep up with Yahoo" doing the whole Portal thing. Problem is, all your stuff feels like it's having catfights with itself.

1. That big rotating ad ...
CLICK ME!!
... seriously distracts me when I am trying to compose a search query.

2. What is a Bidding Directory? Bidding on what?

3. "Kill the Popups - download our toolbar". What year is that from? IE7 and Firefox at the least kill popups already. So what else does that toolbar do? Unfortunately, some other toolbar vendors have left a bad name to the genre.

4. "Stock Quotes" ... Interesting, except upon closer inspection, it's not real. That feels like a waste of Portal space. (And can it be Dow Industrial as an optional default with a click instead of Nasdaq?)

5. That whole bottom right corner looks weird. If you want a link to the forums, there are tons of better ways to do that.

6. Advanced Search - I don't use any "single" search anymore. Put in a page like Google/Yahoo advanced search that can handle "whole phrase but excluding ___ " etc.

7. Who is your backend? There are only about 4 quality search engines in the world left, each with a brand name. So who are you, and what is there to like?

Hmm. I see an attempt "to keep up with Yahoo" doing the whole Portal thing. Problem is, all your stuff feels like it's having catfights with itself.

1. That big rotating ad ...
CLICK ME!!
... seriously distracts me when I am trying to compose a search query.

2. What is a Bidding Directory? Bidding on what?

3. "Kill the Popups - download our toolbar". What year is that from? IE7 and Firefox at the least kill popups already. So what else does that toolbar do? Unfortunately, some other toolbar vendors have left a bad name to the genre.

4. "Stock Quotes" ... Interesting, except upon closer inspection, it's not real. That feels like a waste of Portal space. (And can it be Dow Industrial as an optional default with a click instead of Nasdaq?)

5. That whole bottom right corner looks weird. If you want a link to the forums, there are tons of better ways to do that.

6. Advanced Search - I don't use any "single" search anymore. Put in a page like Google/Yahoo advanced search that can handle "whole phrase but excluding ___ " etc.

7. Who is your backend? There are only about 4 quality search engines in the world left, each with a brand name. So who are you, and what is there to like?

Comments on your posts:
1. Ads are main sources of income for any site - having you noticed it is a good thing ;)
2. It is a link bidding directory, or in simplier terms - paid directory listing to our PR4 directory. The higher you bid - the better placement you get on your chosen category. Our directory alone averages 100,000+++ uniques monthly - majority of which are webmasters.
3. We are a search engine. Naturally we would endorse our own pop-up toolbar.
4. Check on it again. Waste of portal space? I doubt as our stats suggests that a lot of our users visit that section.
5. That is something that we are looking at to improve. Thanks for the comment.
6. I really don't get what you mean on this. Would appreciate if you care to elaborate more on this.
7. The net is a vast network. There is always room for younger sites to have its place in the industry. Traffic wise - we can fairly say we are getting better at attaining that goal, maybe not in the same road as the four major search engines. We are patient at this ;)

Only thing I can comment on is the ads. Yes that is what makes website's money for the most part, but if you overdo it, then it is just too much. One ad per page is PLENTY. And pop-ups just take users away from your site, as they don't approve of it.

I admire your search engine, but had a question on that. Does it use a google look a like script, or do you guys actually have your own spiders?

Back