• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need to get rid of a VPS

wswd

Premium
Premium Member
I have a VPS I need to get rid of. I bought it from a VPS company that has since gone out of business and was taken over by another hosting company. My reason for purchasing the VPS was so I could test out a new datacenter for possible dedicated boxes (Limestone Networks), without the cost of provisioning a dedicated box there. I'm finished running all the tests I need to run, and have absolutely no use for the VPS...particularly since the new company moved the servers from Limestone.

The cost is $19/mo and that includes cPanel.
320GB of hard disk space
4GB RAM
250GB of bandwidth
CPU is 1.2 GHz on a XEON 5410
VPS software is VirtPanel
Datacenter is the 1102 Grand building in Kansas City, MO
Bandwidth by Hurricane Electric
2 IPv4 addresses

Now we all know that it is impossible to offer the above specs for $19/mo. and still make money. Having come from the old company, they honored the previous specs., which was nice of them. Whether their servers are normally oversold or not, I haven't a clue. Their normal prices are $49/mo. for the above, but with 100GB of disk space and no control panel. cPanel is $15/mo extra. 10GB of disk space costs an additional $7/mo.

There is also credit left on the account. How much, I don't really know, as it never transferred over to the new billing system, and the new company had to do it manually, but from what I remember, there should be enough to cover around 7 more months of service. All I know is that I haven't actually paid a bill since last December, and I'm not asking any questions. :D The invoices are sent out, and then automatically paid from the credit.

Shoot me a PM here or email me (bryan@wswd.net) if you would like more information.

I can see why the old company went out of business. After you take away the cPanel licensing costs, they offered you 320GB of hard disk space w/ 4GB RAM for about $4 per month. When will people finally learn?

Anyway, if the new provider is good and they're honering the old host's price, you have one hell of a deal. I would hold on to that VPS for dear life at all costs or just resell it to somebody else.

Now we all know that it is impossible to offer the above specs for $19/mo. and still make money. Having come from the old company, they honored the previous specs., which was nice of them.

Nice of them it was bloody madness!

Let me get it right just in case there's a typo :)

320GB of hard disk space, 4GB RAM (dedicated or burst?), 250GB of bandwidth, CPU is 1.2 GHz on a XEON 5410.
For $19/month including cPanel - BUT you don't know when that'll stop as you haven't checked?

So would the person taking it on 1. the price staying the same as you haven't checked the new billing system and 2. your credit card not bouncing it and resulting in it going down?

Suppose I could include 3. you resell and free host, so why not use it as one of the nodes for your services???

@Decker He said that they are honoring the price and there is about 7 months of credits on file.

@Decker He said that they are honoring the price and there is about 7 months of credits on file.

What you mean this
but from what I remember, there should be enough to cover around 7 more months of service.

You go on that then, more trusting than me on an 'I think' basis.

@Decker I am not saying i would buy it but if some sort of proof could be provided, and you could check out the server information and who the company who has it now is then who knows it might be a score.

@JJW, and all: Guys, firstly, there is nothing to buy. I'm not selling it. I am quite literally giving it away. I don't need it, and figured somebody else might be able to make good use out of it. It has been sitting idle now for a couple months. I don't need to be paying for it (when the time comes) when I have my own dedicated boxes and everything else. Just don't need the extra bill or lack of control that goes with using a secondary provider. So I'm just hoping to pass it on to someone who actually NEEDS it, not somebody who is just going to resell it and make a crapload of money off of it. I could do that myself if that's what I wanted. :p

For those who are wondering, the company is HostD8. They have had their share of problems in the past (when they were under 859compute, or whatever the hell they were...I believe they purchased 859), but they seem to have things reasonably in order now. Like I said, I really didn't care about the company. I wanted to try out Limestone for a long period of time, test latency, etc. etc. That was my only use for the system.

@Decker: As far as the credit, yep, I don't know how much is left. I don't really care, because I was going to cancel their service when it came time to actually start paying. I'm finished with what I need to do with the VPS, so I never really took up the credit issue with them. All I know is that they said they would honor the credit, and I haven't paid an invoice since. :)

My credit card is not going to bounce because my credit card isn't listed anywhere. I paid with PayPal. The new owner would do the same I imagine, when it came time for an invoice. I would simply transfer the billing panel and cPanel over to you, and remove everything of mine (that I could) from the system. Like I said, they are honoring the price. Like any other company, I would assume it is subject to change, and prices are always subject to increase, but they haven't made any indication to me that it would be changing.

@deeplist: I really don't need it. It is a good deal. I have had fairly good luck dealing with them, aside from the cPanel license expiring every 4 or 5 months (once so far, as I recall. and once right at the begining after they bought out the previous company), but that was resolved within a few hours. There really weren't many problems, but like I said, my only purpose was testing the network. The only reason it has cPanel is because it came with the package for free. I didn't need it at all for what I was doing.

Hope that helps guys.

JJW, I would prefer not to give it to a company that can clearly afford their own servers. There are several people interested. If those don't work out, then we'll talk.

Thanks wswd :) I was worried about the usual stuff, I do have a couple of non-profit projects on the go that could use a vps rather than the shared I have.
Nothing wrong with my shared hosting, quite the opposite, but it might hump the thing a bit much :D
Let me know if it's still a possible.

@JJW - don't you have enough to play with ;p

@Decker I have a software development company that would I could use this as a test server so that i am not doing it on my server.

Sorry first of all I am not in Wisconsin, I am in Minnesota. Second of all I run it under my social so no need yet to get tax id number or register as a business.

right now I am stretched financially. We are finally getting signups but still not making money.

Sorry first of all I am not in Wisconsin, I am in Minnesota. Second of all I run it under my social so no need yet to get tax id number or register as a business.

First of all... my mistake. Nope, still no Headstew: http://da.sos.state.mn.us/minnesota...search_Parm=head+stew&filename=-573390698.txt

Second of all... you're full of crap. When starting a "company" you still have to register your company's DBA, even if you're registered under your personal SSN for a sole proprietorship.

Last edited:
right now I am stretched financially. We are finally getting signups but still not making money.

Your not going to get sympathy for that, it's one of the risks in business, means your either not doing something right or not working hard enough.

To many of us here know that only too well.

No you're not. You only host like 5 sites at 24khost, and 3 or 4 of them are yours. Just drop it already and get a shared account or a reseller somewhere. You don't need the VPS.

Back