• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need some opinions on site and forums

Coolin

NL[C]
NLC
http://www.boajjang.com

This site wasn't designed by me, but by my friend. However, I am using the layout since I'm not too good at graphics myself. Please comment on the layout, and if you have any criticisms, please provide suggestions for improvement.

Some things I notice myself is the fact that the site is image heavy and anyone without broadband would get killed by the site. And there's also the issue about not having enough space for the content. Despite these flaws, I do find the site to generally look pretty cool.

Also, please review the forums at http://forums.boajjang.com . You may notice a large difference between the two layouts, and that's because the forum was up way before the site was. Please review the two as separate entities. :)

Takes quite a while to load on my 56k modem. Looks good in Mozilla although it is slightly too wide for 800x600. Forums look good too. All you need now is lots of visitors to get those forums buzzing. Good luck with it.

Nick

Love the website Coolin. Looks very impressive. Very original how the frames function and the way the colors interact. :smile2:

I think this is one of the greatest websites I've seen. Looks really good. If you ask me about the forums, I'm definitely keen on that, since the skin was made by Sub-Zero...eh.. my brother, partner of my website. :smile2: But yes... it's a very impressive website.

Thanks for the compliments and reviewsguys, it's appreciated. :)

I'd like to ask some more questions though...

nickc: Do you feel that the loading time is way too much for your 56k? If it takes too long, that would be a problem for our goal of reaching a wide audience...

Also, is the wideness that annoying? Our designer made the site 800 pixels wide and then a big more by including the shadows on the side. I don't think he was aware that the 800 pixels on 800x600 is effectively dropped to about 770 because of the scrollbar. Redesigning the site to 750 pixels wide or so would be as annoying as heck, but if it's really annoying, we might have to do it.

KBC: Thanks for the compliments. :)

Could you elaborate more on how you feel the frame functionality and colour interaction is original? I don't really understand what you mean. :(

I would like to say kudos to your brother for making such an awesome skin. :)

I was looking for a nice reddish look for the forums as BoA is female (thus the female looking colour). However, much of her fan base is male, so I didn't want to scare people off by using a girly skin. The metallic red and silver colour was simply awesome. :)

The frame functionality is original because I've not seen a website construct a website in this kinda way. It looks very different to many other websites which you see day after day.

I have a very small suggestion though, a nice CSS for the scrollbars within the frames may work well. :smile2:
---------------------------------------------------------------
<STYLE type="text/css">
<!--
BODY {
scrollbar-face-color: #996665;
scrollbar-shadow-color: #000000;
scrollbar-highlight-color: #996665;
scrollbar-3dlight-color: #663332;
scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #996665;
scrollbar-track-color: #996665;
scrollbar-arrow-color: #663332;
}
-->
</STYLE>
---------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the colors, I think it all goes together, there's nothing which strikes out not to be there. There aren't odd bits of colors which do not match. The website looks all in proportion and well designed and structured.

The metallic red and silver colour was simply awesome.

I'd be sure to pass that on to him. :smile2:

The original designer included coloured scrollbars, however I took them out because I only have Internet Explorer 5.01 and didn't know what they looked like...

Could someone be as kind to take a screenshot of that scrollbar KBC posted?

Originally posted by Coolin
The original designer included coloured scrollbars, however I took them out because I only have Internet Explorer 5.01 and didn't know what they looked like...

Could someone be as kind to take a screenshot of that scrollbar KBC posted?

Note: It only works in IE, and none of the other browsers. Its a W3.org unsupported tag :).

For the rest, it looks like a really nice site, and very well designed. Personally i dont mind it being a bit big, as most people set their resolutions to something higher than 800x600 anyways.

It's up to you if you want to use the scrollbars as it will only work with IE. :smile2:

But here's a better one:

------------------------------------------------
<STYLE type="text/css">
<!--
BODY {
scrollbar-face-color: #996665;
scrollbar-shadow-color: #000000;
scrollbar-highlight-color: #996665;
scrollbar-3dlight-color: #000000;
scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #663333;
scrollbar-track-color: #663333;
scrollbar-arrow-color: #663332;