• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

need os

hessan

hey whats up
i rememberd that i had a os demo which was less than 1.4mb and it had wordpad and a browser
do any of you guys remember this

Ok I get what you are saying. Well maybe there is one, windows runs off of dos. What is it send a file or something??? If there is tell us about. Don't just say there is an operating system

it dos, if your saying that it not then what is that black screen with white text doing on your screen whenever you start up the computer?

Originally posted by xternal
it dos, if your saying that it not then what is that black screen with white text doing on your screen whenever you start up the computer?

When we say an OS runs off does, it means you first install DOStext based) and then the GUI like Windows 3.11.
But in the case of Win 9x it is not so; it is by itself an OS.
True Win 9x runs most previous DOS commands & few enhancements too (which even Win2k Console does) in its shell which you can call DOS with black background.
Dos prompt in Start menu and Shut down screen is not pure DOS and runs under Windows multitasking envirenment.
The prompt you get to by pressing F8 at start is really DOS but this is part of Windows 9x not serable from it as Win 3.1 could.

thanks

Originally posted by no-one

When we say an OS runs off does, it means you first install DOStext based) and then the GUI like Windows 3.11.
But in the case of Win 9x it is not so; it is by itself an OS.
True Win 9x runs most previous DOS commands & few enhancements too (which even Win2k Console does) in its shell which you can call DOS with black background.
Dos prompt in Start menu and Shut down screen is not pure DOS and runs under Windows multitasking envirenment.
The prompt you get to by pressing F8 at start is really DOS but this is part of Windows 9x not serable from it as Win 3.1 could.

thanks
wrong ... 95/98/ME are all DOS based OS

NT/2000/XP are not DOS based OS

Windows 95 and 98 are DOS based OS's with a GUI interface. That is common operating system knowledge!

I'm not wrong

Originally posted by wm2k1

wrong ... 95/98/ME are all DOS based OS

NT/2000/XP are not DOS based OS

I do not know what you mean by "based on"
But here goes the story.

Oses fall under two categories
1. Multitasking e.g. Windows,Unix
2. Non Multitasking e.g. Dos
Also DOS has a 16-bit code and runs in real mode while Windows is 32 bit and runs in protected mode; it provides 16-bit support only for backward compatibility.
In Windows DOS programs run under Virtual Dos Machine(VDM) which emulates DOS and provides seperate space for each DOS program.(Each DOS program thinks it has full access to resourses like DOS would have provided but in reality its under windows control). That's why some old DOS programs fails under Windows(they cannot run in protected mode provided by DOS Box).
The command prompt you get in Windows is not actually an interface to real DOS but an interface to Windows kernel. ( because you can run DOS programs & other commands like DOS under this you think this is real pure DOS which it is not).
Actually windows loads in real mode to intialise drivers and immediately swicth to protected mode which you cannot call DOS. ( if you do Windows is not based on DOS but actually is DOS!)
Actually Microsoft does not base its newer OSes on DOS rather deviate from it. Notice WinME has no command prompt at startup( pressign F8)
I think this is a vast subject and deserves another thread.
I just wanted to help him who had asked what's is the black screen if is not DOS in this thread without much detals in my first post.

thanks

Originally posted by guitarnerd
Windows 95 and 98 are DOS based OS's with a GUI interface. That is common operating system knowledge!
This is a common misconception(perhaps OK for the laymen). This is true for Windows 3.11 and earlier. But Microsft has almost entirely rewritten the code for Windows 9x although has maintained backward compatibilty with earlier versions. See also my previous post
I think there is some confusion over terms as well.
DOS= the single-tasking OS which runs in real mode (e.g. DOS 6.22 & earlier) & 16-bit
Windows=the multitasking OS which runs in protected mode & mostly 32-bit(it provides 16-bit backward compatibility)(e.g. Windows 9x)
Based on that you can defferentiate everything.
Pease do not go by visual similarity of things such as black sreen & GUI and go further into it.

tanks

When I say DOS based I mean it uses dos for the commands. Like when you click a program to run, in the background it is doing a command in DOS to bring that program up. That is what I was told when win95 first came out, and it was all crazy and I took a tutorial on video.

Originally posted by guitarnerd
When I say DOS based I mean it uses dos for the commands. Like when you click a program to run, in the background it is doing a command in DOS to bring that program up. That is what I was told when win95 first came out, and it was all crazy and I took a tutorial on video.

The thing is what is happening in the backgroud is different for DOS than Windows even if it brings out the same result.
And commonsense is based on that

:)

just found it from http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/millennium.asp

Q: I heard that Windows Me would not use DOS as its base and would, in fact, be a full 32-bit operating system like Windows NT. Is this true?
No. Windows Millennium Edition, like Windows 95 and Windows 98 before it, is based on DOS and is therefore a 16/32-bit operating system. Microsoft is doing what it can to hide the MS-DOS prompt in Windows Me in an effort to simplify the OS, but DOS is as fully entrenched in Windows Me as it was in earlier versions of Windows 9x.

What's missing in Windows Me is support for 16-bit Real Mode DOS, which is rarely, if ever, used anymore anyway.

Back