• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need help, how to pop up layer with close button? (javascript)

LeX

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
NLC
What I want: A link on the page that opens a layer on top of the page (not a window popup), covers the original content, loads content like a normal window does (for example, I can set it to load somefile.php or someflash.swf depending on the link), and the ability to close it with a button/link. The layer should not be movable or resizable.
The popup layer content is not a part of the original file, so it is not a hidden layer that loads with the page and can be set visible/hidden. It loads another existing file upon popping up.

Here is an example of something similar to what I want: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/interstitial.htm
The problem with this script is that it automatically loads when the page loads, and I was unable to modify it to suit my needs, mainly 1) open only when I click on a link and 2) load different content(files) based on the link I clicked. For instance, link1 loads somefile.php and link2 loads someflash.swf. Also 3) it's too complicated, I only need part of what it offers.

Help me out? Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, extremely similar, but I don't need the black out, and I need the popup layer to load an external file. That script is even more complicated than the one I found on dynamicdrive..

I tried searching for a script that suits my needs, but either I am trying the wrong keywords or they just don't do what I'd like it to do. Perhaps a few suggestions?

----, I've become so dependent on google that I forgot there are sites like hotscripts. Never mind this thread..... I'll find something there, I'm sure. Thanks anyway.

What you're looking for is what's called a lightbox. Hopefully that'll help you on your search, there are tons of versions out there :)

Back