• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

NBCI & Copyright?

Hi!

I remember there was something strange in NBCi:s TOS on copyright issues...

Do they claim some rights on material uploaded to their servers?

Also...
Is it a violation of their TOS if I store mpegs under 5 meg on their servers. Not having HTML at all, I mean. So do they delete my mpeg videos if I do so?

Thanks!

I dont believe they claim any rights on your materials but I'm not positive.

To answer your second question
Yes, if you dont have any html that would be against their TOS. But just make a fake page with links to download the mpegs to make it look like thats your real page. It always worked for me.

I read the TOS again...

Isn't this quite clear or what? If I understand this jargon at all I'm not going to upload even blank html to their servers. :mad:

"6. Storage Services
As part of the Service, NBCi allows you to store materials online, using either our web page design tools and hosting services to create your personal web page (your “Personal Web Page”), or our Media Sharehouse to store, share, and showcase media files (collectively, the “Storage Services”). The following terms and conditions govern your use of the Storage Services......................
(d) By submitting your content to NBCi through the Storage Services, you grant NBCi a world-wide, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, nonexclusive, unrestricted license to use, copy, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, create compilations including, and distribute such content, and any associated content, for the purposes of publishing and promoting such content in connection with the NBCi Site and the Storage Services, and promoting the NBCi Site and NBCi’s services. Such license shall apply with respect to any form, media, or technology now known or later developed"

NBCi is trying what Yahoo! tried back in '99, when it took over Geocities - they claim copyright, and get away with it.

If you are currently with NBCi, I would suggest leaving - more departing members who give a clear reason for leaving, and there's a possibility that they'll reconsider the copyright issue. Yahoo! did. But then, that was much bigger.

If in doubt, throw it out...

Victoria

Back