• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Nasa Loose Shuttle

On launch day, a piece of insulating foam on the external fuel tank came off during liftoff and was believed to have struck the left wing of the shuttle. NASA said as late as Friday that the damage to the thermal tiles was believed to be minor and posed no safety concern during the fiery decent through the atmosphere.

NASA STATEMENT ON LOSS OF COMMUNICATIONS WITH COLUMBIA
A Space Shuttle contingency has been declared in Mission Control, Houston, as a result of the loss of communication with the Space Shuttle Columbia at approximately 9 a.m. EST Saturday as it descended toward a landing at the Kennedy Space Center, Fla. It was scheduled to touchdown at 9:16 a.m. EST.

Communication and tracking of the shuttle was lost at 9 a.m. EST at an altitude of about 203,000 feet in the area above north central Texas. At the time communications were lost. The shuttle was traveling approximately 12,500 miles per hour (Mach 18). No communication and tracking information were received in Mission Control after that time.

Search and rescue teams in the Dallas-Fort Worth and in portions of East Texas have been alerted. Any debris that is located in the area that may be related to the Space Shuttle contingency should be avoided and may be hazardous as a result of toxic propellants used aboard the shuttle. The location of any possible debris should immediately be reported to local authorities.

Flight controllers in Mission Control have secured all information, notes and data pertinent to today's entry and landing by Space Shuttle Columbia and continue to methodically proceed through contingency plans.

News media covering the Space Shuttle should stay tuned to NASA Television, which is broadcast on AMC-2, transponder 9C, C-Band, located at 85 degrees West longitude. The frequency is 3880.0 MHz. Polarization is vertical and audio is monaural at 6.8 MHz. Reporters can also go to any NASA center newsroom to monitor the situation.

Nasa: "We've never lost an orbiter upon re-entry". The arrogance of these guys rivals some members here. Doofs...

I was rudely awakened by my g/f this morning with the news.

I saw and filmed Columbia's initial voyage back in 1981 at Cape Kennedy, Florida with an super 8mm camera. :(

I just wanna say these astronauts risk there lives for the betterment of mankind. Nasa does what I believe is a great job considering what their job entails. As for their arrogance, it is the truth and I believe we should see that they do a good job for the united states

that CNN story was ---. man I hate CNN.

Pity about the shuttle though. I really feel for their families; sitting there watching looking forward to seeing their loved ones. But instead they get fireworks.

Originally posted by Phyxisus
On launch day, a piece of insulating foam on the external fuel tank came off during liftoff and was believed to have struck the left wing of the shuttle. NASA said as late as Friday that the damage to the thermal tiles was believed to be minor and posed no safety concern during the fiery decent through the atmosphere.
I just read and heard it was a piece of ice :confused2

Trying to look at this with a glimpse of positivity here. You have to believe that these people spent their entire lives devoted for that one moment where they get to go to space. So, as bleak and horrible as the whole situation is, these people died doing something they loved. They got to experience what is probably one of the most surreal experineces one could ever experience, and I figure they died with little or no regrets.

My heart goes out to the families, but I believe they feel the same way I do, amidst all the mourning and grief.

NASA was revered in the 1960's as being wonder-guys who were beyond reproach. Now, with a miserable record of losing 16 lives in just over 40 years, they are looked upon as the geeky, pocket-protector doofs with a major bolt loose that couldn't get jobs anywhere else. I used to dig the space stuff...but with this sorry record and poor ROI of a few trillion $pent, I hope they cancel the whole program as it's totally optional anyway. The problem is, the government wouldn't spent the available money on the poor anyway. That would make too much sense. :rolleyes:

NASA: "We will continue to fly and achieve great things."

Excuse me? What "great things" are you referring to? Tang? Microwave ovens? Landing on the moon? I'm afraid Neil Armstrong did that by himself as NASA computers froze at the last second.

Some pillow was just advertised on the tube as being designed by NASA...and everybody in the room groaned, "Oh no...".

There's nothing out there but the truth...:classic2:

Last edited:
Originally posted by zoobie
NASA was revered in the 1960's as being wonder-guys who were beyond reproach. Now, with a miserable record of losing 16 lives in just over 40 years
considering what they're doing it's not a "miserable" record at all, I'm actually suprised so few lethal accidents have occured. Things go wrong and people died and will die. This isn't something as routine as a transatlantic flight and we can't even manage that without a plane crash ever so often. Should they abolish planes as well while they're at it?
& no offense but how do you think they get some satellites into orbit. Tell them nicely to ascend to the sky and assume their proper place?
Each mission carries scientific or medical experiments as well. Cures or insights into some diseases or conditions are gained with each successful experiment. Some of which aren't possible to do on earth.
The only waste that would happen is if they'd abandon it now.
I'd much rather see the US spend $200 billion into space research then on some personal vendetta.

oh common, think of the safety of car manafactures, or airlines. These were under the same circamstances of the nasa incident [beyond mission control]

guess where the blame is gonna lie, NASA.

But in fact its to do with the funding and the govt help they get. The shuttle was made in 1981. That is over 18 years old, kinda old dont you think?

A bit back, my dad told me when i was down in florida taht at one time the techs had to go on ebay and other places to get parts for the shuttles since it was so outdated or old that it wasnt available anymore. They should replace the current fleet of shuttles, but they dont have the money to. Reason? Not enough funding, plus funding got cut in half last year. Where does it leave Nasa? It leaves them without money, to build a new fleet, so they keep using the old fleet, which is outdated.

It partially lies with nasa, since the damage could have been bad but they thought it wasnt, but even i they said it was bad, the crew would have been doomed.

They could have tried coming in to the earths atmosphere at a different angle so that the other tiles wouldnt have ripped off, but they want the ultimate angle of entrance to get a shuttle back that can be used.

Just my 2 cents ;).

Back