• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

MySQL~!

Kaliber

Kaliber
NLC
I was wondering if you guys new of anyways i could insert MySQL tables apart from telnet and phpMyAdmin?

I am having some trouble with phpMyAdmin - anyway,
Any comments would be good!

Peace,
Phuzion

In order to work with MySQL, you need to have some way to communicate with the MySQL server. Typically this is done with the MySQL client, a command-line program. You can run this on your server via Telnet/SSH, or on a separate machine assuming you have that type of access. There are command-line clients for Unix and Windows systems.

Then you have the MyAdmin-type of thing, where basically someone has written a PHP front end to access MySQL... something I'm not sure I'd recommend for real use.

Other than that, I know someone has a Windows GUI-based client (search the MySQL site), but again, you have to have remote access granted to you (which is unlikely on a shared host). I haven't heard much about it, and I'm not sure what kind of state it's in...

I think there might even be a Java applet out there somewhere, but again, you have the remote access issue.

Since SQL is really a command-based query language, it only makes sense that the command line is the most appropriate way to interface with it (eg, using 'mysql' from a shell via Telnet/SSH). I can't imagine using any other method...

I'm mostly responding out of curiosity: what exactly is it that you're looking for -- a GUI, web-based, or something else?

PS -- if you're looking at this from an administration perspective, I would strongly recommend only using the command line via SSH; I would *never* log in as the root mysql user over any unencrypted network, web-interface or remote GUI program...

Last edited:
Actually, as much as I dislike AOL, I have heard good things about aolserver (and it is open source). Also, at the very top of the page it mentions something about an ODBC driver; perhaps the original poster is using aolserver, so this would be right up his/her alley.

As for phpmyadmin et al, I didn't mean anything against it in particular; just that using a web-based "control panel" for real administrative work is something I would not do. SQL requires a certain level of interactivity you can't simulate using a web browser. Same for any administration work. HTTP wasn't made for that at all (but Telnet and SSH were).

My point is, if you are running a server (and I don't know if the original poster is), you absolutely cannot be afraid of the command line. These control panels make it so anyone can think they know how to administrate a public webserver (or MySQL server in this case), and I think that's a big problem in this business...

But there I go ranting on the subject again... I'll just say I don't recommend phpmyadmin (or any web-based system) for administrative work. I also stand by my recommendation not to use a non-encrypted link of any kind (eg, Telnet) for administrative work. If you've ever seen a packet sniffer in action, you would immediately give up FTP, POP, Telnet, and non-SSL HTTP for anything sensitive.

Back