• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

My whole site is in a table, I need suggestions

Magic2K2

I've got my whole site in a table and the layout is beautiful IMO, but because of that the whole site loads at once and I've heard that's a problem. I use header and footer files to draw the left and right column of the table respectively and then in the middle is the code from whatever page they happen to be accessing (that's it in a nutshell). I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix my load time problem w/o having to overhaul the site completely. The site is at http://www.hoopsavenue.com

Well, I don't really have a load time problem right now, but since the site is all in a table, everything loads at once which could be a problem in the future because what if one part of it just isn't loading quickly. Again, I've heard this from other sources and only mildly noticed it myself. BTW, what do you think of my layout?

Looks good to me. ;)

But what choice do you have? Either it is in a table or it's not. Considering a large part of web sites have been using a three cell table layout for years I don't think loading time is a great problem. You could always have the top graphic outside the table or in it's own table if you are afraid it will slow the rendering of the rest of the page down.

one good option I've seen is to put a background image in your BODY tag that says 'loading...' this will then be shown till the page loads and then be covered by your table (have to have a table background colour)

this is more effective on subsequent pages than the fist as the image is cached.

ps you have a js error on your page

Your site looks nice! :)
And I'm a huge basketball fan (Lakers), it's great to see someone hear working on a basketball site.

i'm having the same problem but i don't want to make visitors wait for image files to finish loading.

what if i put a div tag inside the table? will it wait for everything to finish loading before it will be displayed?

Originally posted by crj
i'm having the same problem but i don't want to make visitors wait for image files to finish loading.

what if i put a div tag inside the table? will it wait for everything to finish loading before it will be displayed?

I've found that using height and width tags on your images lets the table load before the images are done loading.

Originally posted by Magic2K2

I've found that using height and width tags on your images lets the table load before the images are done loading.
there is IMO no justification for ever missing out the height/width attributes. it's just more noticable in a table

Back