• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

My new webmaster site

Canuckkev

Doctor Hexagon
NLC
Okay, I finally started work on some sort of site. I was trying a free template at first, one from a site that a member here said "were coded properly". Now I understand they were kidding (I hope!). I tried the template in Opera...and...it would have been hard to make it look worse if I tried.

So, I worked on my own "design" today. Design is in quotes because all it is is a table with two columns. I suck at web design, so kept it nice and simple.

Anyways, tell me what I should do better : http://www.3kd.net

On the plus, it is valid HTML 4.01 Strict and CSS AND it looks almost the same as it does in IE. I cannot get the table to align to the center in Opera, without of course ruining my HTML 4.01 Strict validity. Maybe it's just cause I was using Opera 6.something.

Hey, finally a design that works in something other than IE. Good job. I'd choose functionality over looks any day.

It does look pretty good though. I'm not a big fan of the pink URLs on the light blue background though... at least not with the rest of that design.

Thanks Bruce.

Not sure where the pink is coming from...is it still there? If so, can you explain which links are looking pink?

Ahh... it's white now. That looks much better. The navigation links were pink (well, maybe more of a lavender) before though.

I agree with Bruce. It works great in other browsers, and looks simple, yet quite effective.

Well designed, good color conjugation. And, unless you added the "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">" yourself, I suppose it was made in Dreamweaver:D

Yes, I added it myself...

Thanks for your comments guys, maybe it will motivate me to work on the content now.

unless you added the "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">" yourself, I suppose it was made in Dreamweaver

That's a strange assumption.

I always add a doc type, and so do many people, your site wont be valid HTML otherwise.

It's nice to see people still coding proper websites :) rather than the only typing involved being the url to php, post nuke or similar and your database details :rolleyes:

I can't really suggest anything to change, mabye play around with that main font, it looks just a little on the big side.

Nice work though, look forward to seeing some content :)

doesn't dreamweaver create a page that shows up in most browsers correctly??

To be honest, i have no idea.

I wasn't saying that Dreamweaver isn't a good application and i'm certain it doesn't produce "bad" coding, just that people shouldn't assume that because somebodys webpage is coded properly that most of the work was done by some sort of software or application.

Hmm. Yeah, I guess I shouldn't assume that. But since most people don't handcode anything EVER and just install some crappy portal script, I have a reason to assume that, don't I?

(not trying to be offensive, nor intending)

Yeah, i know i think it's just that too many people take the lazy option these days, so people will assume that.

I guess nuke sites have become a bit like microwave dinners lol :D people just want something that's all ready to go and then say "hey look at my great website" and sometimes i think "oh great you learnt how to unzip a file, well done"

Before they start attacking me, i know that some people put alot of effort into nuke based sites, and make them look really good, i'm talking about the large percentage that just upload and start posting news, i don't see what satisfaction they can get out of that.

I've even thought many times about starting an anti-nuke website, sort of a haven for people that still code real webpages and hate portals :p

Anyway, excuse my slightly off-topic rant, i'm hungry :(

Back