• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Moving my domain to my new host

jpoc

I own jpoc.net and it is registered through uk2.net. I am nearing the end of my 12 months hosting contract and I am moving to a new host. I have chosen focalhosting.com. I have a facility there now with a dedicated IP. So, I uploaded all of my files to the new site.

I then tested it with a Linux box on my lan. I put an entry in the hosts file on my local Linux box to link www.jpoc.net to the actual IP address and tested it out. All seemed to be working fine.

So, my clever plan was that I would then just update the entry for my domain to point it to the nameservers at focalhosting. I did this: replacing the entries for the uk2.net nameservers with ns1.focalhosting.com and ns2...

What I ecpected was that, as the domain change propagated, visitors would be directed to the new site and I'd not have any downtime. Clever huh?

What actually happenned was that I received a message to the effect that the new nameservers were not known to the core and that a create host request had been sent. My site went down and any attempt to access it was met with a domain invalid, host not found message. I tried to reset the name servers to the uk2.net ones so that at least the site would be back while I figured out what had gone wrong but that hasn't helped.

What was wrong with my great scheme? What should I do?

jpoc

Back