• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Moving a site

Jan

Forum Cleaner
NLC
I have purchased a website and the owner isn't too helpful in giving instructions to get the database downloadable. Can anyone tell me what to do please?

Isn't there a way to move the site from one cpanel to another?

If your host has WHM access Jan you can pull the whole account, you just need the IP (or domain), username and password and it will come across - but that will make a new domain account. Or is it just the files and db you need?

If you can make a backup of the site using a backup manager (I have done this in DirectAdmin)

Then just download it extract the backup file and the database and all files will be right there

Best get the control panel login first (if there is a panel) then if they're not being helpfull.

I can do it for you if you like :)

I have the cpanel login for the other site :) But no instructions on what to do with it :S

Go to cPAnel and click on 'Backups' then under 'Home Directory' click on 'Download a home directory Backup'

That will get you the site files.

Then go back and click on the MySQL database you need under the 'Download a MySQL Database Backup' heading.

You're done :)

You can extract the files and the DB on your local machine, to import the db back again create an empty one and import the file for the DB, no need to extract it, with the files you can simply use the restore home directory backup, again without having to extract it, but it will restore them to the /public_html folder root, you can't pick the location :wink2:

Go to cPAnel and click on 'Backups' then under 'Home Directory' click on 'Download a home directory Backup'

That will get you the site files.

Then go back and click on the MySQL database you need under the 'Download a MySQL Database Backup' heading.

You're done :)

You can extract the files and the DB on your local machine, to import the db back again create an empty one and import the file for the DB, no need to extract it, with the files you can simply use the restore home directory backup, again without having to extract it, but it will restore them to the /public_html folder root, you can't pick the location :wink2:
I looked for a backup option in the cpanel earlier but couldn't find it :S

Got phpmyadmin? Use the export function and select ZIPPED ;) You can then import the zip file through your own server's phpmyadmin :D

Well duh! I changed the name servers when I bought the site! :lol:

So that's what's bloody wrong :p

No wonder it just quit on me as I was trying to login :lol:

Cheers Hugo - I thought I was going mad - again!

I have it all uploaded, but looks like a few things have to be writeable. I'll sleep on it and figure it out on the morrow.

Thanks, this thread has been very helpful. I myself wanted to know how to backup a database.

in cPanel you can just backup the database's too, can't you?
generate full backup or something. only thing i've noticed when restoring it to another cPanel account elsewhere, it doesn't work well.

i just unzip it, go to the home directory, move the files myself through FTP, then copy the SQL files inside the backup.

If you pull a full backup it needs WHM to restore it, unarchiving it can go bad as there's a lot more than the home files and databases, it contains mail and aliases as well as logs and stuff too.

Easiest with cPanel only is a home directory then use the restore option, same for DB's and aliases (parked and add-on domains)

that explains why i had problems. I was restoring once through my cPanel account in the restore backup section, not inside WHM. I still just unzip everything, saves downloading all the files again in a backup or through FTP.

Got phpmyadmin? Use the export function and select ZIPPED ;) You can then import the zip file through your own server's phpmyadmin :D
This is what I did. I didn't notice the file type before starting this thread
Thanks, this thread has been very helpful. I myself wanted to know how to backup a database.
I then downloaded all the files via ftp, made a new database and imported the old database into it.

Man Jan, that was the long way of doing it :D

Just SSH into the old server, zip up the public_html directory, then use wget on the new server, extract the directory and WHAM! Files done in about 30 seconds or less.

EDIT:
That is assuming the old server had shell access enabled on the account ;)

Back