• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Most Reliable Free Host?

alley

Social Nutwork
NLC
Just reading one of the last free hosting requests posted, I noticed that they said something like "And most importantly I need a host that will stay alive".

I have found that if you are looking for a free host that is going to be up for the long haul it is probably better to go with one of the big boys like Yahoo GeoCities, FreeWebs, TriPod, Google, and so on ... but most of them do plaster your site with anoying huge banner ads, or pop-ups and offer no PHP/MYSQL.

So you are left searching for a good reliable free host that frequents the forums here on FWS. That is what brings me to this thread. I think it might be helpful if we could use this thread to suggest some of the more reliable free web hosts that hang out here on FWS. Keep in mind that reliable to me means that the host has been around with good uptime for over 3 years.

So out of your experiences of dealing with some of the kind free web hosts that frequent here, who would you recommend to our new members?

It is ok to mention some free hosts that are not members here as well as long as you have found their service to be reliable.

If you're in France and using them as your ISP http://www.free.fr/ offers pretty impressive ad-less hosting at no extra cost, has been for over 6 years and not going under anytime soon IMHO as they're one of the largest ISPs around, with ties to a relatively large and quite reputable paid hosting company and assorted other interests.

Other companies have been around just as long and could be deemed reliable too, but they often have lots of ads, don't all offer PHP/mySQL that I'm aware of, and aren't known for blitz speeds. Local equivalents to Geocities, sort of.
• Multimania-Lycos http://www.lycos.fr/
• Ifrance http://web.ifrance.com/
• Voilà http://www.voila.fr/

Although www.ezhostlive.com has not been up too long I followed them since before then there was 4uhost which went up and down and then it went away, zIx is an admin since then and so I trust this host to stay up and so far they have been reliable.

Though I can't guarantee they will stay up for long, nor can I say they ave been up for a year, I still trust them because zIx is a good admin
--------------
To tell you the truth on this subject, I have probably been through about 12 free hosts. I can list a few that I remember...

4uhost
Crazydrive
Snappyhost
AHplace- which seems the most strange of a end to me
Ooblez
Fr33host

and there were a lot I just left because... I did not like them.

Last edited:
SpHosting
HostUltra
ZoomCities
Netfirms*****
Brinkster

Those are all ones that have been around since the dawn of time or at least a few years and at least stick out in my immediate mind.

I would like to testify for ZoomCities. They have been proven to be very reliable and on top of that, they have a great community in which you can learn a lot of new things. I would recommend ZoomCities for everyone who needs a reliable free web host.

Another I've seen around for quite a while and enjoyed for a couple small static websites I made for friends is Atspace.

http://www.atspace.com/

No frills like PHP/mySQL, but no ads, or at least there weren't when I was using them, and FTP access (if it sounds weird that I shoud be mentionning it, well at the time I landed at them I remember a number of other free webhosts that didn't offer it and desperately tried to have you upload everything file to file through some *cough* user-friendly *cough* browser page).

Did you try any of them?

Not for a number of years, but I have at least at one point tried each of them:
SpHosting-long time ago, was reliable
HostUltra-Had some reliability issues in past, but had worked them out and appears to be here for a while
ZoomCities-long time ago, reliable and fast
Netfirms-great hosting
Brinkster-great host, probably one the fastest free hosts i have been with, but low bandwidth limits

Just reading one of the last free hosting requests posted, I noticed that they said something like "And most importantly I need a host that will stay alive".

And it's really funny because then someone will reply offering 5gb of space and 50gb bandwidth for nothing claiming to be reliable, the not-so-intelligent requester takes the bait as he/she thinks it's the best offer, and is back here in a month.
And yall know what's even funnier? Some people never learn :evilb:

Anyway, I guess I could put in a good word for my host which is having it's 2nd birthday next month :beer:

Though I haven't been around much lately with studies, our server is mighty powerful and never goes down :)

Unless I decide to be smart and install a firewall which stops hosttracker from working properly...but that's not really "down" is it haha.

And it's really funny because then someone will reply offering 5gb of space and 50gb bandwidth for nothing claiming to be reliable, the not-so-intelligent requester takes the bait as he/she thinks it's the best offer, and is back here in a month.
And yall know what's even funnier? Some people never learn :evilb:
[/SIZE]

Even funnier when the OP wants only like 50MB space and 2gb transfer. Bigger is not always better. I used to be EXACTLY like the people who wanted it all. Give me 100GB transfer and 10GB space. then I wouldnt use 10 MB space and 3GB transfer......then I wouldnt use my site at all, since it disappeared!

Now in my 6 years of having websites I have learned to make the sacrifices and design my wesites to allow any size ad, including the 'dreaded' 728x60 leaderboard ads (think thats the size). I also tend to choose a host that has been around for a while (shows stability), although I do have sites hosted on new companies as well. Just because you are new, does not mean you wont succeed. Every host starts out sometime, they just need to prove themselves to be stable. But to me offering 50GB space and 500GB transfer with no ads is not one of them, and I personally would not host any important website on said host.

My suggestion to requesters is this: know what you need and start small. If you have a site and only use 10 MB space and 1GB transfer, then you dont need 10GB transfer. Take a nice 150MB/3GB offer and accept ads (this will give you a better chance of your site and the host staying active), or do some research to see if they offer paid hosting (this will allow them to make up for some free hosting loss). Also if the site is really important to you, always concider paid hosting. Not all plans are hundreds of dollars, you can get very small custom packages from these very hosters for as little as like 15$ a YEAR. Most 14 yr olds can swing that with their allowance. Domains are very inexpensive also, .info's are like what $2?

Anyway, just my $2 (because my advice is worth it :D)

I think it's funny that hostultra is still around, lots of people here were hating on them because of the unlimited stuff they offer, but I think it's a good idea.

Easy to offer unlimited with a strict TOS (1mb filesize and no download sites etc)

Back