• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Messenger Plus messed my computer up, any help?

anhedonia

I'm on a boat
NLC
Well, firstly, don't ever touch Messenger Plus for MSN6. It is EXTREMELY buggy. After installing this program on the recommendation of a friend, I (or rather my computer) experienced the following problems/annoyances:

- On startup, twenty plus "Dial-Up Connection" alerts pop up. Now, I am used to ONE popping up, but over twenty? After closing them all, I get a "$**$*%$#% has crashed" alert - each time it is a different, unrecognised program that has not ever been installed on this computer (Evidently something the MSN Plus program installed).

- Messenger Plus stuck about 10 ugly, advertising icons to my desktop.

- I have received alerts which are actually advertisements.

- It has changed my previous IE homepage from Google to some stupid advertising search engine. When I change it back to Google, and then click "Home" it still takes me to the stupid advertising engine.

- When I uninstalled the stupid program, I typed "Recycle Bin" into the "My Computer" window and instead it automatically loaded their advertising search engine page. I thought "Hmm, okay, I made a mistake" but I tried it several times, checking carefully, and no mistake - it was another bug in their stupid program.

- Now I have (via the proper way) uninstalled the program, emptied my Recycle Bin of all files that I know to be associated with it, including the original .exe file that was downloaded to install it from. However, I am still experiencing half of these problems. What more can I do to remove all traces of it???

What OS do you use?
Have you ever backed up your work?
And if you use XP, try "restoring the last good-known configuration".

You probably installed the pesky sponser program. There are a few threads on the Msgplus forums about removing it. FOr the search page and stuff, go to google and search for another website that sets ur search page to something else. it will probably have a 'remove' thingy which you can use to reset the page.

i recently updated my MSG plus.. it was bloated with ad/spy ware.. so i uninstalled it with haste, and installed the latest version that didn't have ads...

if you want i could send it to you

What ads?

Like somebody previously said, you probably chose to install the sponsor thingy.

I didn't, and everything's working just fine.

Back