• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

MegabyteStored Hosting

If he has offered to make our accounts ad-free then why are you pushing him to put ads on them? I mean if its optional, thats fine, but i dont really want ads on my pages. He has promised to keep it running for 6 months, even at a loss. Plus he will be making money from the selling of points.

But who is actually going to buy the points? Prople like me don't have money like that, thats why I look for a free web host. I'm not saying that nobody will buy points, it's just that you need a backup plan, you can't depend on people to buy points when you a free web host.

I don't know about anybody else, but I would rather have one or two ads on my entire site then have a great host like Alpha's go down.

Mabe for now, while Alpha can handle the financial funds for no ads, but later MegabyteStored might be in a position that to stay alive they might have to put like a top+foot ad and a popup/under on each page to handle the funding.

I'm not saying I disagree with you coldturkey, it's just that a host like this shouldn't go to waste. Better to think ahead.

My opinoin ;)

Sikes

Originally posted by Sikes
But who is actually going to buy the points?

Perhaps the same type of suckers that actually pay for Crosswinds' premium package even though we all know it isn't much better than their free package.

Originally posted by Sikes
But who is actually going to buy the points? Prople like me don't have money like that, thats why I look for a free web host. I'm not saying that nobody will buy points, it's just that you need a backup plan, you can't depend on people to buy points when you a free web host.

I can, and would, pay for extras if I need them as long as it's cheaper than a 'real' paid hosts. The point with this experiment is that the plan is flexible, either it's free or not. It seems to me that alpha has been very honest about this. He wants to try his idea out and is prepared to loose money on it for a limited time. He hasn't said that he will continue forever if it doesn't work out.

There are oodles of pop-up driven free hosts out there. Why not use one of them? It isn't like this is the last free host on earth. :confused2

Originally posted by meow

I can, and would, pay for extras if I need them as long as it's cheaper than a 'real' paid hosts. The point with this experiment is that the plan is flexible, either it's free or not. It seems to me that alpha has been very honest about this. He wants to try his idea out and is prepared to loose money on it for a limited time. He hasn't said that he will continue forever if it doesn't work out.

There are oodles of pop-up driven free hosts out there. Why not use one of them? It isn't like this is the last free host on earth. :confused2

I agree, I would buy some points if i needed them and if you would rather have a host with ads, go for it.

no more PERL? i just signed up b/c i saw this thread and it said cgi-bin for scripts, and then after i signed up i looked at the pints thing and i didn't see anything about cgi-bin/perl, which i need. do you have it for free w/o points or something? do you have SSI?

Hi everyone, sorry for keeping quiet for the past few days but I have been a bit busy. I have sped up the signup process for myself a bit and now can sign up a few dozen members/hour if need be. I still have about a hundred sign-ups in my queue that I need to burn through. I am still maintaining the Jan. 25 release of the points distribution system, CGI support, and PHP4 scripting support. MySQL will probably not be ready on Jan 25, but soon after.

To all of you guys discussing advertising possibilities. I still maintain my desire to keep the host forced-ad-free. I am seriously considering possibilities of trading ADs for points as I have mentioned before, but that is not yet a reality and may not be for at least a few weeks until I make a final decision.

Thanx for your support everyone. And just to warn you, there is always the possibility of up to an hour downtime daily after 12AM (midnight) Pacific Standard Time. I just want to warn you guys before hand so that you are not worried if you ever run into this downtime. This downtime is mainly due to possible upgrades and server maintenance. I just want to keep this time open for myself to fix things that may go wrong during the day.

Another reminder, please refrain from signing up twice. I am keeping an eye out for multiple sign-ups so when I catch one I have to go through the process of informing the member that they are not allowed and that she must choose which account to keep. It is a time waster, so please do not waste my time on this. I have already had to do this with two members.

TOTAL MEMBER ACCOUNTS ON-LINE: 123

By the way, if you have no need for your account, please cancel it by sending an e-mail to support@megabytestored.com with CANCELLATION in the subject line so that I can free up that spot on the server for someone who does want an account.

-- Evgeny Krevets (alphaneutrino)

Your the Boss...

Well Alpha, your the boss, so if you want it that way, then go for it!
I will galdly support you with putting a banner or popup/under on a page or two for points, even thogh I don't need any, heck I'll do it for nothing, I really want you to succeed in this!

Keep it up...

Sikes

Last edited:
Hey Alpha, you said first that i would have my account in 2 days, but 4 days later (after that 2 days) i still don't have it .....

Please help me ?

Originally posted by The_ReVenger
Hey Alpha, you said first that i would have my account in 2 days, but 4 days later (after that 2 days) i still don't have it .....

Please help me ?
Hello! I sent you your account info on January 21, 2002. Please send an e-mail to support@megabytestored.com with a request for a re-send of your account info if you for some reason did not get it.

-- alphaneutrino

Heck, as long as it was at my discretion (SP?), I would put banners on pages, but its better when the user can place them... :) I gladly offer you a few more page-views of ads

Alpha..?

Hey, does each account have SSI before we can choose it from the point distribution system that isn't set up yet?

Sikes

If I have space with you, and I have uploaded the necessary files into the site thru FTP, what is my darn URL?

Back