• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

MediaWiki Host

Uiop

I need a host with at least the following specifications in order to host a single MediaWiki installation:

*No Monthly Posts
*At Least 25MB
*At Least 500MB Bandwidth
*The Ability To Unzip Files On The Server
*PHP 5 Or Better
*Non-Invasive (Or No) Ads
*Preferably a MySQL Database, But Not Required
*Decent (>99%) Uptime
*Decent Speed
*A Stable Buisness Model

Because of previous expierences, I refuse to use "[webhost name removed]*". All other hosts are fair game!

*In order to alleviate tensions between myself and another webhost, I have removed all refrences to the actual name of the other webhost in this post. It is requested that all other posts in this thread follow suit.

Last edited:
And why would you refuse to use "Cybertoad Networks".

They are one of the best if not the best.

I don't wish to get in-depth about my previous experience with [webhost name removed]*, I just said that so nobody would recommend them to me.

*In order to alleviate tensions between myself and another webhost, I have removed all refrences to the actual name of the other webhost in this post. It is requested that all other posts in this thread follow suit.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have just launched, and now offering FREE hosting.
No cath, no strings attached. Just free.

100 MB Storage
5 GB Bandwidth
cPanel servers with all features (PHP, MySQL, etc....)

I've you've got traffic i can accomodate nearly any space/bandwidth request you may have

I just do ask a banner integrated into your website design.

For more info and sign up visit www.MiaHosting.com

Any questions, email me on david [at] miahosting [dot] com ; or post a message on forum.

Website is still under development, but servers are FULLY working. It's hosted on Dual Xeon servers, and STABLE!

Thanks,
David

Well takign cybertoad out of the equation, no posts + no ads (or intrusive ads) does not constitute a stable business model, I hope you can understand that. How else can a host make money? Magic?

If you are willing to make 2-3 posts a month, for stability (we've been around for a year now), then have a look at our free packs page:

http://free.liway.com/

I don't wish to get in-depth about my previous experience with Cybertoad Networks, I just said that so nobody would recommend them to me.
Previous experience? :lol:

You mean more like you made a fool of yourself and got yourself banned!

Little recap for everyone ....

Uiop's home ISP had routing problems for a few days and he thought his
site with us was down when it was actually up and working perfectly
and his problem actually had absolutely nothing to do with us at all!

Even though it wasn't necessary on our part, we went ahead and contacted
his ISP on his behalf and helped them locate an intermittent problem in
one of their gateways and Uiop's internet connectivity issues were resolved.

Meanwhile, Uiop still making the huge mistake of thinking his site was down,
went blasting like a total idiot (on our forum community) which got a number
of his fellow hosting members literally laughing at him and all thinking him a
total and complete nutcase and I got a lot of private messages at that
point from members asking us to ban Uiop!

Then for the icing on the cake ...

We have a special bbcode tag in our forum community "[you]" that makes
readers see their own name in posts even though their name is not actually in
the posts at all. Each and every regular member knows about this code and it
is the long standing joke of our forum community used by every member and we
have some really bizarre threads with topics like "Everyone must worship [you]", etc ...

Well to make a long story short, Uiop reads a bunch of the joke threads
and seriously thinks everyone is talking about him and goes on an even
bigger loud mouth rampage that ultimately led to far too many members
requesting that he be removed from the service and we ultimately had
no choice but to comply with those requests and ban him from the service
and list his information on our blacklist network.

Incidentally, Uiop still owes his fellow hosting members a very big apology! ;)

varun67 said:
Even I too hate their signup process. It sucks... I dont know their server service as yet.
Our "signup process" is indeed very intensive but that would be because
we are very selective about who we host and don't host and we don't
just blindly accept everyone that comes along!

Our signup is actually not that difficult. If you are honest and don't try
to take shortcuts, you usually get hosted with us fairly quickly!

Something worth mentioning is that the majority of people who make it
through our signup process never leave! We actually have people still
hosted with us who have been with us for several years or more which
should really tell you something! A few even go back to the 1990's too!

Earlier in this very thread you can see a competing host, Tumble, making
a very strong statement about us which should also say much:

Tumble said, "They are one of the best if not the best"!

Well taking cybertoad out of the equation, no posts + no ads (or intrusive ads) does not constitute a stable business model, I hope you can understand that. How else can a host make money? Magic?
I whole heartedly agree with Starcraftmazter!

It is very difficult to find any hosts outside of the ones we own that can provide reliable,
long lasting, stable, and secure hosting without any kind of forum posting
and / or advertising requirements.

Starcraftmazter said "taking Cybertoad out of the equation" because he already knows
very well that we are that one rare exception to the rule and he knows that unlike most
other hosts, we really have no need or desire to make any money off of our free hosting
services because we own a large number of commercial paid hosting, reseller, VPS, and
dedicated server services that more than pay for our other free hosting ventures and
that also gives us a new indirect advertising avenue called "word of mouth" advertising
which is the most powerful kind of advertising and more valuable than any television
commercial or newspaper advertisement.

Some friendly advice to the world ...

Anyone who is not hosted with us (or a very select few other hosts) would be best off
looking for hosts who do in fact actually require advertising or forum posting as those
are the hosts who will probably remain for a while and may eventually be around as
long as we have been around --- nearly 10 years now!

Last edited:
Umm... Are you sure that you've got the right person? I've never posted about the "[you]" tag, nor have I ever made more than a passing post or two about my inability to access my site. My problems with [webhost name removed]* are entirely outside of what you just stated; however, this thread is for host recommendations, I have no want to turn it into a flame war by posting about my previous issues with [webhost name removed]* (or by demanding proof of amz's allegations). Nonwithstanding, I certainly apologize for any wasted time that I've cost anyone via my interaction with [webhost name removed]*.

As for my no posts, no invasive ads requirement, by invasive ads I mean large graphical banners. Google or other text-based ads are 100% fine with me.

Last edited:
I really wouldn't argue with amz....It dosen't work, you always lose. Anyway PM me and i'll set you up with ads. If you want an account.\

EDIT: We don't run on PHP 5, we run on 4.4.4. Why do you need 5?

I'm not attempting to argue with amz, I'm simply trying to clear my record. I have no intrest in debating with him.

As for your hosting offer, I may be PMing you soon, after I've finished looking over some other hosts.

Last edited:
I know but not many scripts wont work with php4, if thats the case, you can't blame me for trying :p

Uiop said:
Umm... Are you sure that you've got the right person? I've never posted about the "[you]" tag, nor have I ever made more than a passing post or two about my inability to access my site.
Absolutely sure I got the right person! And the point is you didn't realize that your accessibility
problem was actually from your own ISP at home and then later you didn't realize, despite
everyone trying to tell you, that none of the posts on our forums were actually about you!

EDIT: We don't run on PHP 5, we run on 4.4.4. Why do you need 5?
PHP 5 is not just a newer version but a newer generation of PHP ...

PHP 5 itself though has been out for almost 3 years which means that
it is nothing new and has been around for a long, long time.

PHP 5 adds hundreds of new functions not present in PHP 4 which
are now used by most web scripts and programs out there now
making PHP 5 mandatory for many web applications.

The object oriented side of PHP has also been completely overhauled
and re-written in PHP 5 and as of that version is now actually a
true object oriented language complete with polymorphism,
inheritance, and the works, and is far more evolved than PHP 4.

PHP 5 is also more stable and far more secure that PHP 4 and if
nothing else, you should upgrade to PHP 5 just for the simple fact
that all versions of PHP prior to 5.2.0 have a very serious
security issue recently discovered and the only version known
to not have the problem I am speaking of is the latest v5.2.0

AGAIN: ALL VERSIONS OF PHP PRIOR TO 5.2.0 HAVE A MAJOR
SECURITY ISSUE AND EVERYONE SHOULD UPGRADE!

Last edited:
Back