• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Mac mini

atlas

I'm just curious as to what you all think of the Mac mini:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

It starts at $499 with no monitor, keyboard, or mouse. It seems aimed at someone who already has a monitor, etc and wants to try the Mac -- which is a major change in Apple marketing. It's also tiny, so it takes very little space on a desk.

I was waiting for someone to post about this.

Personally, I don't like it, but that's because I don't like mac in general, but I'm happy they're finally releasing a cheaper (still not cheap IMO) box. It may look somewhat cheap, but when you get some of the extra features like keyboard/mouse from Apple (which aren't included), it can really add up; when you could get an equally priced computer from another manufacturer (Dell or something) for more general compatablity with software and such.

Feel free to flame me you metrosexual mac fans! Roar!

tandoc said:
Personally, I don't like it, but that's because I don't like mac in general, but I'm happy they're finally releasing a cheaper (still not cheap IMO) box. It may look somewhat cheap, but when you get some of the extra features like keyboard/mouse from Apple (which aren't included), it can really add up; when you could get an equally priced computer from another manufacturer (Dell or something) for more general compatablity with software and such.

I don't think they ever intend to go to a really cheap machine -- it's not the Apple way. I'm not sure if I like it, but it is an interesting machine.

Apple have normally been aiming towards the professonal sector of the customers, producing award winning software like Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Shake, etc. The G5 is built to handle with large images in Photoshop, it's built to run quickly, when dealing with x hour long pieces of films, many Mac friends I know, have been using them since when they got their first computer, your choice was either Mac OS or DOS, and , obviously, a GUI is easier to use, others just wanted to escape from the Viruses, and others (like me) have grown up using Macs...

but I'm happy they're finally releasing a cheaper (still not cheap IMO)
I disagree. I think $500 is a great price for the stuff they offer, especially when you consider Mac OSX 10.3 comes with it (which is not cheap.)

link92 said:
Apple have normally been aiming towards the professonal sector of the customers, producing award winning software like Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Shake, etc. The G5 is built to handle with large images in Photoshop, it's built to run quickly, when dealing with x hour long pieces of films, many Mac friends I know, have been using them since when they got their first computer, your choice was either Mac OS or DOS, and , obviously, a GUI is easier to use, others just wanted to escape from the Viruses, and others (like me) have grown up using Macs...

I'm not sure if I completely believe that Apple aims at the professional sector in such a way, certainly they do to a certain extent; but so do ALL computer manufacturers. That's why Dell (or someone else) sell computers in different categories: crappy entry level (mac mini, not really crap thought), desktop, workstation, and server class. You can't say that Mac's are specifically designed for working with media, when Apple also releases different classes of computers. The G5 (not iMac G5) is obviously their powerhouse computer, and the G4 before.

By the same token, many of my friends grew up with DOS/Win3.1/95 and are still using Microsoft products today. The other part of my friends (I'm a nerd, what do you expect) also grew up with DOS/Win3.1/95 etc and are now *nix -----s, so you can't say that growing up with a certain technology is really an excuse either - even if it is pirate2

I hate Mac/Mac users in general though, so most of my statements could by biased :eek:

atlas said:
I don't think they ever intend to go to a really cheap machine -- it's not the Apple way.
And thats why Apple aren't a massive company (Microsoft style), they ignore all the normal people that want a PC & can't afford the excessive prices they ask. :rolleyes2

Personally, I'd like a mac (to run along side my new XP & old [now running Linux] PC's), but I won't touch them at that price!!!! :cry2:

-------------------------------------------
Now the iPod Shuffle is a different story, that I just might end up with. :classic2:

See that's we're you're wrong - Apple is a massive company, but like you said, not on a Microsoft scale. They make their real money on the iPod and iPod mini, and now, the iPod gumstick^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H shuffle. They've changed their market and do not necesarily aim to create the entry level Mac, but create one that will get people hooked, and then when the G6 comes out, all those entry level Mac-losers will want to get one.

I've never really liked Mac that much purely because I don't base my purchases on aethetics - with technology that is, mostly.

Back