• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Mac BSOD?

Tree

Hrm?
NLC
During the saving of an important file, Windows encountered a STOP error and threw a blue screen of death at me. I've been thinking about getting a Mac for some time now, and this may have done it for me.

Has a Mac ever crashed on anyone? Any serious problems that could occur?

I've used Macs as my main computer for the past 2 years and had a total of 1 crash, and it was my fault. I tried opening as many things as I could at once and then tried playing a dvd while starting up a vm. That was 3 months ago and I remember it so well, because it so rarely happens.

Remember, you can still use windows inside of Mac OS as a vm and use boot camp to run windows natively.

Oh, also no winrot. :p

He's talking about OS 9, which sucked donkey balls. We're at 10.4.10 now which is like sex in a beautiful box.

I love macs, I own the mac mini. Never had it crash. Also have used the macbook pro's at work. Those things never need to be turned off, they just go to sleep. I love it.

Thanks everyone, that's reassuring. I know nothing of how Mac specs compare to PC specs, so what kind of specs do you think I'll need?

I don't do any crazy processor-intensive things like movie editing or making/editing music. I'll probably watch a few movies and episodes of The Office. The main use of it would be web development through Zend's IDE. On Windows it uses a pretty constant 60MB of memory.

Also, do Macs come with BlueTooth?

I gotta macbook that isn't mine and it has bluetooth, I'm not any sort of authority on the subject though, I'm just observing the one infront of me does ....

I've never used a mac before, but like that it feels familiar to me still, what I don't like is no right click and the touchpad doesn't let you click with the pad you gotta use the buttons .....

You can click with the pad, I've done it with my old iBook. I doubt they'd take functionality away with new products. The right click problem is a simple fix, plug in a 2 button mouse like I do, or press ctrl+click.

Unless you really need portability, I'd go for a 17", or 20" iMac. They all come with bluetooth, it's standard. I'm on a 17" Intel Core Duo iMac with 1.5gb ram, ATI x1600 128mb graphics. It's not a top of the line machine, but I'm able to run both xp and vista on VM's, run photoshop, use firefox and itunes all at once.

I've had one kernel panic in 6 years of using a mac. It's more like a grey screen of death.

Only time I had a blue screen on Windows was because of corrupted RAM modules. Everything happens for a reason you see.

You can click with the pad, I've done it with my old iBook. I doubt they'd take functionality away with new products. The right click problem is a simple fix, plug in a 2 button mouse like I do, or press ctrl+click.

Unless you really need portability, I'd go for a 17", or 20" iMac. They all come with bluetooth, it's standard. I'm on a 17" Intel Core Duo iMac with 1.5gb ram, ATI x1600 128mb graphics. It's not a top of the line machine, but I'm able to run both xp and vista on VM's, run photoshop, use firefox and itunes all at once.

They seem to have done exactly that, it doesn't work in windows ( I installed XP, not in a vm, converted to mbr disk ) and doesn't work in tiger either .... thanks for ctrl+click didn't know that ...

It's not mine anyway and the owner is new to computers so probably won't know about right click anyway, he'll just have to learn the long way around for everything.....

You can also hold down the button and the right click box will show up. The trackpad tapping needs to be turned on in system settings.

I'll be dropping around $3000 on assorted Apple products sometime in the near future. MacBook, iPod, mouse, car charger/fm tuner. Should be good.

ctrl and click is for mac right ??

I can't find a way to make the context menu appear inside Vista, I no longer have mac installed on this machine and need to give it back to the owner tomorrow......

Could you download bootcamp and send me a copy of the driver cd therein ?? I don't have a mac disk and can't find anything at all that will extract the files, its possible to do it on a mac though you dont even have to burn the cd ......I need camera and bluetooth, and possibly sound drivers.... the rest m$ update installed ....

I'll be dropping around $3000 on assorted Apple products sometime in the near future. MacBook, iPod, mouse, car charger/fm tuner. Should be good.
DO NOT GET AN APPLE MOUSE. THEY'RE TERRIBLE AND ARE LITERALLY PAINFUL TO USE.

ctrl and click is for mac right ??

I can't find a way to make the context menu appear inside Vista, I no longer have mac installed on this machine and need to give it back to the owner tomorrow......

Could you download bootcamp and send me a copy of the driver cd therein ?? I don't have a mac disk and can't find anything at all that will extract the files, its possible to do it on a mac though you dont even have to burn the cd ......I need camera and bluetooth, and possibly sound drivers.... the rest m$ update installed ....
The drivers are too big for me to send you easily, but here's a torrent for them http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3709350/Boot_Camp_1.3_Drivers Mods, this is not pirating and is free software, please do not remove the link.

Ok, buy one. Your hand will start hurting after a few minutes, but you'll say "it's bluetooth!". Then you'll notice how the buttons don't work correctly all the time, "but it's bluetooth!!". Then a month from now, you're at the doctor's office with carpal tunnel, the doc asks you how it happened and you say, "bluetooth".

BAM! No more relieving the morning wood.

BAM! No more relieving the morning wood.

So kids use wired hardware and pheripetals do not go to your doctor :lol:.

Any European retailer of Mac's that is located in Germany . i think ill get one too in the near future after all i only need PS-CS3 and AutoCad (hope it works on a mac).

Last edited:
Back