• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Looking for shared host with SSH access

robert allen

Hi,

I am looking for the following specs.

25mb space
SSH/EXE access - If you cant provide dont even post cos it is a must :)
4GB bandwidth
Windows or linux. Windows preferred due to small compatibility issues with my script and some linux distros. (I know it doesnt work on CentOS.)

I plan to host a MSN bot.

MSN: robertall at robertall dot com
email: angelfire at gmail dot com
aim: vckyallen

Thanks,

Rob

SHH/Exe access? wHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?[sorry keybord went wrong] anywat what the hell does that mean? So you can run .exe apps? I think thats a little somthing called a VPS or Dedicated Server? Sorry if im wrong

You can have SSH on shared accounts. I know because my old host provided me with one.

And no, i cant afford a dedi, which is why i am posting here.

Rob

One, Windows server 2003 costs $ to buy license, 15 per month.
Two, you will not find shell access on a free host, it's simply too much of a security risk. Paid, yeah sure, at they have a vested interest in not qwrecking the server, but with free you could just screw the server over and walk away without losing anything.

Right you are

As learned from experience, it really is a very big risk to give away SSH access for free. See, people can just read your configuration files containing your passwords for your databases. Or many other files containing passwords.. most likely config files because system ones are mostly encypted.

People say that linux is secure... well its not when you have a user account. Windows is alot more secure with user systems and remote access. For linux even if you put a chroot on the users directory, they can still read each others'. Not to mmention its literal HELL to setup.

One Liner - Someone who gives SSH Access for free has to be a big Fool :p, even JAILED SSH can be a security risk

How much will it cost?

Money is not the problem here, It depends on how much a host trusts you. SSH access can be major security issue and bring down the entire server.:eek2: So no one will give you unless he knows what is the purpose of it

i would give you SSH access for about $99 /month (i.e. cost of a dedicated server... basically, you would own the server and if server gets hacked, the price would cover it :) )

Back