• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Looking for good dedicated for file hosting site

Why not get a small shared host for your regular site files, and then use a CDN like SimpleCDN to store all of your downloadable files? You'd get extreme speed and not have to worry about messing with a dedicated server or running out of space/bandwidth. I can share my SimpleCDN account with you (you'd have your own folder, FTP Access, etc.) for a price cheaper than if you created your own account. I don't think I can go as low as the price you are suggesting, but let me know and we'll work something out. :)

sorry for not replying for a long time, that problem was solved and now i'm facing a different problem that will push me to change the dedicated server to solve....

if site got hacked by certain IPs(actually not hacked let's say comes under heacy -fake-load, like one IP opening 3000 cpnnection to the server in the same time) using bandwidth and causing it to shut down....

would changing the dedicated server solve this problem?

right now almost everyday the site goes down untill i contact the support and they block some IPs and then site is up again.

would changing the dedicated server (to different company) solve this problem?

Well having a company thats a bit responsive would help yes. Changing machines no.

There are many scripts etc that your provider should be recommending for you.

If you wish you can contact me and we can look into some possibilities for you.

Last edited:
Yes, LSComputers is basically correct.

Other than my suggestion above (which worked well for me on my popular downloads site after I moved from 3 clustered dedicated servers), a couple good companies from my experience to go with are:

1.) www.rubyringtech.com - cheap but good servers with decent support.
2.) www.wiredtree.com - best support and response I've ever seen with rock solid servers but a tad more expensive
3.) www.10tb.com - used to be midphase.com - the only place I know of that actually gives you a dedicated (NOT shared) 100Mbps line with a 10TB bandwidth cap on all servers and a 100Mbps unmetered dedicated line for only $250 more

I hope you find what you need. :)

Why not get a small shared host for your regular site files, and then use a CDN like SimpleCDN to store all of your downloadable files? You'd get extreme speed and not have to worry about messing with a dedicated server or running out of space/bandwidth. I can share my SimpleCDN account with you (you'd have your own folder, FTP Access, etc.) for a price cheaper than if you created your own account. I don't think I can go as low as the price you are suggesting, but let me know and we'll work something out. :)
Thanks for your new suggestions....
but would you explain me your previous idea which im quoting now :)

Well having a company thats a bit responsive would help yes. Changing machines no.

There are many scripts etc that your provider should be recommending for you.

If you wish you can contact me and we can look into some possibilities for you.

i went to your site, had a look at the servers, so:
1.tell me where are the servers located?
2.what's the time zone there (GMT)
*im facing a problem with 7 hours time difference between Miami (my current dedicated server) and Kuwait (where i live) ....i want less difference that's why i'm asking about the time .

Thanks all for your inputs :)

Sure. SimpleCDN is a massive content delivery network (CDN) and in my opinion not only one of the cheaper ones but one of the better ones available. Basically, depending on what service you use with them, you'll be able to store all of your files on their network and directly link to them. Because it's a CDN, all files are mirrored to all of their locations throughout the world and thus whenever a file is requested, it is sent to the requester (user/downloader) from the location closest to them. All downloads are extremely fast as they have huge pipes and there's no waiting.

What I could so is help to setup and provide you with access to my account so you could use their services. Obviously, depending on which type of service you want from them, both the space and bandwidth cost money each month, but you only pay for what you use. I could set you up with an account where you could upload all files and directly link to them as needed, or we could have it automatically pull files from an origin server (like mirroring). I'm currently doing something similar on a test downloads site where it pulls/mirrors all files that are uploaded to it and all I had to do was slightly change the code which generates the download links so that it points to the CDN instead of my server so all requests for files are directed to the CDN.

The reasons why I think this is better than a dedicated server...

1.) You don't have to manage everything, much easier to deal with (more like a file host)
2.) You don't have to worry about overloading resources
3.) You don't have to worry about going over your space/bandwidth limit as there is none
4.) You only pay for what you use, instead of the same monthly cost for a dedicated server whether everything's fully used or not
5.) Files can be downloaded at blazing speeds from anywhere in the world and aren't bottlenecked to a single location/server
6.) No need to backup files on the server, as that's done for you on the CDN
7.) Cheap shared hosting can suffice for the actual web site stuff instead of a full-blown server

I'm sure there's other reasons, but that's what I saw as great things. As for a price on this kind of system, I would just need to talk with you personally to work something out depending on your space and bandwidth requirements. I hope this explains it a bit more so just let me know if you are interested. :)

Hello,

Our office is in EST (GMT -5 I believe). Our servers are located in Kansas City, and soon Dallas.

In terms of response times, we are around 24/7 With staff in our Toronto/Oakville location and United Kingdom.

Take a look at our reviews - http://hostjury.com/reviews/wisededi we have many clients from India, EAU etc.

that sounds really great!
but i'm using a file sharing site (it's in my sign.)
and thus, traffic will be huge, and variable from day to day....
yesterday i had 1700 unique visits
the day before i had around 600 visits.

bandwidth chart in my site is crazy, some days extreamly high, other days bellow average, you see it's all because it's a file sharing site.

so this CDN could be the answer to all my needs. except i need to disscuss some other deep issues regarding this.

PM me your MSN so that we can talk more if you don't mind, i still have many questions.

LSComputers

Thanks a lot!
that's a good review and good support.

your dedicated server is plan B for me if this CDN didn't work with me.

PM was sent. :) I'm off to lunch in a few, but I'll be back within an hour (around 1pm MDT) and available at least until 5pm.

LittlBUGer
thank you very much, i sent you a PM.
this hosting is not meant for a file sharing site, i re-calculated all my expenses with this plan i'll be paying more than 1000$/M
so thank you very much, your efforts are highly appreciated!

i'm on plan B now, tell me what your best offer LSComputers :)

How do you see paying $1000 per month? I calculated that at 120 GB space and 1 TB bandwidth for a month could cost you less than $150 per month, even less after I helped pay for the services. I didn't think you used more than 1-2 TB bandwidth as based on the screenshot in your link about selling your site, you have a low-end dedicated server with low-end bandwidth (2TB max it says). I used SimpleCDN for my downloads site before and have used over 5 TB bandwidth (though not quite as much space) and it still was no where near $1000 a month or even half that. Just because someone uploads a 1 GB file and your download counter says it was downloaded 800 times in a month doesn't mean the full 1 GB was downloaded that many times. The counter is probably based on the number of connections to the file, meaning that each person could be splitting the file up into several pieces, like 20 pieces for each person, which in the end is technically one full download, but the script counts it as 20. So that's not really 20GB bandwidth used, only 1. I'm just curious what your real space/bandwidth numbers are so we can clear the confusion. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
thanks again man, you'll never imagine how much i appreciate you trying to help me :)

well, my file sharing is growing extreamly fast (thanks god) so the bandwidth i will be using tommorrow is at least 10%-20%

i don't need to explain you every little detail of this, but take this small screen shoot:
1user.jpg

the 1st file size is almost 1 GB, and it got downloaded 839 times used 779GB traffic.

according to SimpleCDN each 1GB will cost 7.9 cents = 61.541$
and i'm talking about 1 AVERAGE user, i didn't mention the daily uploads and downloads...

this CDN is not for me at all :)

Thanks again man :)

I understand you don't want to go with my idea, but I'm totally confused by your picture. I don't think those stats are correct at all. The first file listed says it was uploaded a couple days ago and already has over 800 download with near 800GB bandwidth used. Then if you look at several other files, there's several more hundreds of GB bandwidth supposedly used. Yet the server specs you listed via the link in your signature say the bandwidth you have is 2000 GB (2TB) max. In probably 1-3 days time, you would have already gone over that easy and thus your site would be down right now since you went over your resources. Hence why it doesn't make any sense. I think your script is giving you incorrect data...meaning that as I mentioned before, it's counting the numbers of connections to the file and not the actual downloads (a single downloader/user could have 10-20 connections to a file as they download it). Then it's just taking those number of connections and multiplying it by the filesize to give you 'estimated' bandwidth usage, but not real usage.

Can you login to your cPanel (or whatever your server uses) and get a bandwidth screenshot from there? That will be the real bandwidth usage. I just plain don't trust what your script says and I think other people offering services here would like to know the real usage as well before they offer you something.

Thanks. :)

Well, it really depends. If you want you're users to be able to always have extremely fast downloads from anywhere in the world without any single point of failure or having to manage multiple servers, then SimpleCDN is the best bet, even though it may be more expensive.

In your case though, due to budget and because it doesn't matter if all files are in a single location/point of failure, than a better dedicated server is what you need. For the kind of bandwidth you're talking about, I'd highly recommend one of my original suggestions and go with http://www.10tb.com . As I said before, you can get a great dedicated server for as cheap as $200 per month and you get a dedicated (NOT shared) 100Mbps line with 10TB bandwidth cap. You can also make the line unmetered (no bandwidth cap, so technically around 32TB bandwidth for a 100Mbps line) for only $200 more which is a screaming deal. No other company does this that I know of, at least for that price.

Other than that, you're probably looking at mirroring/clustering servers together or something in order to provide the amount of bandwidth that you need while keeping downloads speeds good. I hope you eventually find what you're looking for. Good luck. :)

Thank you, simpleCDN could be useful in the future, if this site stayed in the samer up-trend as it is now.

regarding 10tb.com
they don't allow file sharing sites as many files will be illegal, they don't have this in their TOS, but many file sharing owners complained about them.

thanks anyway man :)

Oh, I didn't realize you were going to have illegal/warez/etc. files hosted. You should have stated that clearly in the beginning as that greatly limits your options, at least from the U.S.! I would have said I couldn't have helped you in the beginning if I would have known that. Sorry to lead you on so much... :(

(I) am not going to search and add illegal materials
(I) don't allow pron
(I) can't control all the files thats uploaded
(I) dont check every file

if someone reports something as illegal i'll delete it right away.

rapidshare.com is the most famous file sharing and it has millions of copyrighted materials.

why people would need file sharing if they don't want to share a movie or a tv shows...

and thanks man for teaching me something new :)

Back