• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Looking for a new PDA

B-Z-M

Hey guys i am currently looking for a new pda so i can do work when I am not at my desk too.

Needed Features:
-Needs to have a fully functional browser (Used to check helpdesks, email, etc.)
-Able to run im programs such as aim/msn
-Ability to download/run small apps such as putty
-A-Z keyboard not just 9 numbers which each represent 3-4 letters
-Needs to be a small size (needs to fit in my pocket)

I currently use verizion for the rest of my phones so it would be the cheapest going through verizon although I am open to look for a PDA with other providers too. Also, how do you guys get internet for your PDA? Do you use the satellite plans from providers such as Cingular and Verizon? Can you guys suggest some internet plans too? I would like links to these phones.
Thanks,
WHM

I tried this with a Compaq iPaq but I quickly used it for just reminding me of events and then hiring a company to manage the servers.

I just bought the wrong one I guess.

Take a look at the Blackberry 8700g, I had one and it was brilliant, it has all the features you need and more. It is not a PDA but has the features of a PDA aswell as all the features you expect on a mobile phone.

Try the T-Mobile MDA.

I have the SDA and it's treating me nicely.

Main difference between the MDA and SDA is that the MDA has a qwerty keyboard while the SDA doesn't.

They run on Windows Mobile 2003 so you can install things. Both have AIM and MSN. Not sure if you can install putty.

Yellowmc said:
Take a look at the Blackberry 8700g, I had one and it was brilliant, it has all the features you need and more. It is not a PDA but has the features of a PDA aswell as all the features you expect on a mobile phone.

Looks like I could use one of those too, thanks.

I would recommend an PPC 6700:
http://www.sprint.com/business/products/phones/ppc6700_allPcsPhones.html
I am able to run AIM/MSN - Internet explorer / putty etc from my phone.

Love it. (Even if you don't use Sprint...Verizon/Cingular both offer the exact same phone just different names)

Also had an Audiovox ppc 6600 like: http://www.sprint.com/business/products/phones/ppc6601_allPcsPhones.html
POS! Definitely just stay away from those :) Crashes constantly / battery life less than hour and a half while connected
to the net.

Last edited:
have a look at the treo 700p series. I use the 650 currently and it is rock solid.

I had the ppc6700 for a while and I can easily tell you windows mobile is NOT ready for full time production. I have had several mobile windows pda's/smartphones and they all had major issues. Random lockups, alarms not going off, battery life was very rough, the list goes on for days

windows mobile is very attractive looking but the functionality is not there. Give me my ugly palm anyday, at least it works right

all of them are good but not as good as the Orange SPV M2000 its a lot better. Anyone who would have it would recommend it. I bet you anyhthing :p

Plus Orange SPV M2000 is also a Mobile Phone 2 in 1 you use can use any Sim Card. It's a lot better :)

all of them are good but not as good as the Orange SPV M2000 its a lot better. Anyone who would have it would recommend it. I bet you anyhthing

Plus Orange SPV M2000 is also a Mobile Phone 2 in 1 you use can use any Sim Card. It's a lot better

everything I've posted can take a SIM card ... /sigh

And can you say why it is better? The next question is....IS there a US carrier that has it? Not a mainstream one.

And it looks like the PPC 6600 which was crap and per Avail...so the is 6700

Avail: I'd also have to agree that Windows Mobile is crap =P Although, to run all the apps I need....kind of stuck with it

Last edited:
avail the 650 is actually very cheap but the os does look like junk compared to windows mobile. ecs what don't you like about windows mobile? Buggy for you too? It looks nice... but that's obviously not everything.

well looks are not everything unfortunately. The 650 is simply the palm os. palm has never been known for it's wow factor but it has been known for it's versatility and stability which is why I like it.

as far as apps I can actually do everything on palm that I can on windows. Plus I am actively involved in a real estate related matter for Avail networks which allows me to run all real estate agent related programs as well since alot of them are solely available on palm

Palm has never grabbed me just for the lack of glamour I guess...But definitely a stable and reliable OS.

Windows Mobile is buggy. Although, it is worse on some phones than others. I am guessing their hardware compatibility is part of the issue as the PPC 6600 I had it would crash all the time. Completely lose all of its data etc.

I remember one time I was doing contract work and I used the phone to keep up with my hours/schedule via exchange sync. Everytime I did a job I would put it on my calendar and the amount of time, hit sync from driving down the road and then the bill would be kicked out. Worked great! Except those other times.....Where you have worked 14 hours...haven't synced and then it just decides to reset at the drop of a hat and lose everything including wiping the memory card.

The reason this stands out in my mind is I am in Oxford, Mississippi and I had done a job 6 hours away... This job I had to do some punch down work and wiring and had to take pictures to send to the company to prove the work was done right etc...

Well the phone was great, I just whipped it out and took the pictures and I'm on my way home....1/2 hour from the house the phone resets and loses everything. 2 days of work at $75.00/hr and pictures from a job 6 hours away. The phone went out the window and I bought a blackberry... Later to realize I hated the way it felt, the way it hung on my side, the scroll crap on the side. The keyboard and even hated the speaker. So thats how I ended up with this one and I'm happy :)

Just my experience... It is still buggy and it still crashes every now and again. I do a backup nightly and backup to the memory card everyday at lunch automatically. The pros are the fact that it does have all of the bells and whistles and I love the keyboard...Im a sucker for a good keyboard cause I do a TON of messaging from my phone.

I have an XV6700 from Verizon and it has been great. I have had it for several months and have not had a problem with it lossing data. Also the battery lasts me 7 - 10 hours. I even can SSH into a server from it now that I have installed pocket putty.

ecsportal said:
everything I've posted can take a SIM card ... /sigh

And can you say why it is better? The next question is....IS there a US carrier that has it? Not a mainstream one.

And it looks like the PPC 6600 which was crap and per Avail...so the is 6700

Avail: I'd also have to agree that Windows Mobile is crap =P Although, to run all the apps I need....kind of stuck with it

To me the PPC 6600 Is stealing designs from Orange.com. Im not sure if it's also available in USA but if it has sim lock taken of it will work.
PPC 6600 Is probably a complete pirate type copy of the SPV M2000 just like you get pirate copies of DVD's :p

Orange SPV M2000 Is a lot better by it's specifications. You may not say that well thats your problem.

Blackberry? I have a friend who was not very happy of it. BlackBerry is good but.... there is a but. The make of the phone.

If you buy phones in the UK then Orange and/or Tmobile is recommended.
USA? Not sure if they have Orange but they sure do have Tmobile.

PS. Windows Mobiles are not so called Crap. :) If they are crap then why do many people use it?
Why do they even sell it?

Last edited:
rosmatis said:
Windows Mobiles are not so called Crap. :) If they are crap then why do many people use it?
Why do they even sell it?

Anything with the Windows sticker sells. Simple as that!

Back