• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Looking for a host...

totalanni

Looking for a host for my minecraft's server's site and user database.
Need a few gigs BW and Disk space..
Our user base is pretty small atm... ~30 users...
Only thing is, my server needs to access the mysql database offsite.

Thanks
totalanni

Heh ExbInt2010 "few" = 12 GB Bandwidth 3GB Space or something. (Bored Friday guess from me that I'm pretty sure he won't need more than.)

Hostgator might be a good choice for this as they offer unlimited bandwidth.

Are you the owner of Hostgator, or do you work for them? I've noticed that you've been posting on their behalf all over here. Another thing, as a general rule of thumb, ads/offers/requests for unlimited space and bandwidth are not permitted here. So don't even mention companies that offer it.

I actually run my own hosting service, not the above mentioned company, and had forgotten about the unlimited rules, have edited my post accordingly.

I actually run my own hosting service, not the above mentioned company, and had forgotten about the unlimited rules, have edited my post accordingly.

I do not see how you could have "forgotten" as you've been here less than a month. You're new, and you probably didn't even bother to read the rules at all. The rules regarding unlimited are pretty black and white here. It's not "hidden" anywhere either.

Should be able to run it on a standard plan. All the minecraft sites I have seen so far are usually just a custom CMS with some features that let it retrieve statistics from the minecraft server via SQL or other protocol.

SeraphimLabs DoubleFree
2 Domain or Subdomain services
2 MySQL Databases
10GB/month bandwidth
1000MB storage
Virtualmin control panel
PHP, CGI, Perl
Two Banner Ads

Outgoing remote SQL is available with my services- your site can retrieve SQL from elsewhere if you see fit to.

Hello, totalanni,

Just fill out the form on our signup page and you''ll receive a response shortly.

800 mb disk, 15gb bandwidth
Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP 5
Direct Admin control panel.
FFmpeg, Image Magick, phpMyAdmin, webmail, customizable spam protection.
Unlimited domains/subdomains with full DNS control.
Up to 20 e-mail accounts and 10 databases.
Mailing list software included.

If you require more resources, simply let us know your needs and we will do our best to accommodate you. If you have any questions at all, just let us know. Thank you.

Please all, bear in mind gameservers are different from websites and the *NIX version of Minecraft server is a Java app with a suggested 1G memory allocation (that's without using a GUI tool) for multiplayer, goodness knows what the MS Server requirements would be, take into account that and the remote MySQL services shared service might not quite be what's needed, unless you want to impact other shared clients.

50 user set-ups are paying $150 per month in some cases for small dedicated, so 30 user won't be much less.

Please all, bear in mind gameservers are different from websites and the *NIX version of Minecraft server is a Java app with a suggested 1G memory allocation (that's without using a GUI tool) for multiplayer, goodness knows what the MS Server requirements would be, take into account that and the remote MySQL services shared service might not quite be what's needed, unless you want to impact other shared clients.

50 user set-ups are paying $150 per month in some cases for small dedicated, so 30 user won't be much less.

Indeed, IF he was hosting the minecraft server this way. The minecraft server core is horrible about it's resource usage. But that isn't the case here.

He already has the minecraft server hosted elsewhere, and just needs hosting for a web frontend for his existing server. These are no more resource intensive than an active Forum, and do not have any special requirements other than some versions needing php sockets for uptime monitoring of the game server along with the ability to remotely connect to the game's database. Shared hosting has no issues with that, even when there is a really busy minecraft server attached to it.

Also, the Windows version of the Minecraft server is nothing more than the OS-independant Java version with a small wrapper executable to provide it with a control GUI and make sure the java launches and exits cleanly. I've run it on one of my local boxes just for comparison to how the Linux version behaves.

Very well explained - but why would the OP state the amount of users (unless it was to accommodate 30 users)?

Please see OP's previous posts/threads and requirements.

Very well explained - but why would the OP state the amount of users (unless it was to accommodate 30 users)?

Please see OP's previous posts/threads and requirements.

The OP also says that he needed a hosting which allowed access to remote SQL databases, and the fact that he had user statistics to offer means he already has the server itself up and running.

His expectations on user totals are derived from his server's statistics. Usually a site of this type won't get a lot of views other than by the people that also use the server itself. That number he provided can be used to predict how much bandwidth his site will need, as 30 people on a bit of PHP/MySQL isn't going to even cause a noticeable deflection in the load readings on most servers. Odds are the site might see as much as 45 legit viewers with any regularity due to members that keep up with the community but don't play regularly, and however much bot crawlings and the like that sites normally recieve on top of everything else.

I see what you mean though about his previous post history, and can say that he wouldn't be able to host the minecraft server itself on this service. But he asked for a web site hosting, and that much I can provide.

Thanks for the good explanation while i was away guys...
That is correct, the server is already hosted on a local connection, and has a dedicated user base...
Im trying to separate the "server" and the "website" but only have so many IP's here... :shrug:

I have yet to come up with a website design for the server, but i know i want to integrate the server and website together through mysql and some php...
Thats where a sql database that allows "remote access"...aka my server adding entries and whatnot from an outside ip...

I am looking for something alittle more ad free, 2 banners is abit much...
I'd like to have a banner of my own, to help supplement the cost of running the server...
Wouldnt mind doing a link back or something of the sort, maybe even in-game advertisement...

If you like, I have a smaller plan that only requires one ad. Depending on how much space and bandwidth actually gets used, I might remove it anyway as it wouldn't see enough traffic to be worthwhile. Would just leave a linkback in it's place if I do that. I'm fairly flexible about the ads, and let people choose where in the layout they will appear as long as they are consistently visible.

SeraphimLabs Free
1 Subdomain
1 MySQL Database
5GB/month bandwidth
500MB storage
Virtualmin control panel
PHP, CGI, Perl
Single Banner Ad
Starting at: $0/month (Single Banner Ad)

Same thing as before though as far as available capabilities. There shouldn't be any issues using your own SQL server with a site hosted by me. The structure for that is similar to other projects I have worked with.
Code:

Last edited:
Yep I did read it wrong :D thanks totalanni for clearing that up (goes and hides head in shame).

If Seraphim is happy with remote DB access then great if it doesn't work out you could ask for a host that doesn't mind CRON at regular intervals and script a DB pull from your game server/ftp/ and the same on the other end to import the DB, depending on if your happy about non real time updates though :)

Hello,

You can host the site with us, and we will require no ads whatsoever.

800 mb disk, 15gb bandwidth
Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP 5
Direct Admin control panel.
FFmpeg, Image Magick, phpMyAdmin, webmail, customizable spam protection.
Unlimited domains/subdomains with full DNS control.
Up to 20 e-mail accounts and 10 databases.
Mailing list software included.

I hope you will not be needing cron jobs, however?

Back